Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:46   #1
BHPian

Welcome to Cherrapunji. The wettest place on earth!

Guys and Gals, welcome to Cherrapunji!

It was a wet day, as usual. We left at 1230 from Shillong. Could not take much pics on the way as it was too rainy and my camera had no protection. But did take a few pics. All the waterfalls are in a single location. Distance from Shillong is roughly 53 kms. Mostly a pleasure to drive other than about 15 kms. from Cherra. FYI, Cherrapunji is now called Sohra.

Duration: It took me 90 mins to get there and 50 mins to get back
I was enjoying tailing a car from Assam and scaring the crap out of the occupants while on my way back. The females in the car were probably praying that I don't hit them

Last edited by SumitB : 22nd July 2007 at 20:55. Reason: Images Resized
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whew! Huge pics those, what camera and my comp screen ain't enough to view them, nice though, the waterfalls look awesome. Why not write a bit about the place also?
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:00   #3
BHPian

Hey Sumit,

Those pics are lovely. Would be better if you post thumbnail, it's taking hell a lot of time, Otherwise the waterfalls with full of water is fantastic.
Now after resizing looks better, and a quite a fantastic thumbnail view as well.

Last edited by Laxminarayan : 22nd July 2007 at 21:07. Reason: Images resized now..
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Man, those are some of the best waterfalls i have ever seen. Fantastic pictures too. Looks like a visit to shillong is certainly in the making.
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:29   #5
BANNED

Great job!
Had been hearing about this place from school days and these are some good pictures I got to see of it.
Thanks for sharing it here.

I think a bit more in write up will do lot good!
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics sumit, THanks for sharing that part of India to us...

You are becoming an ambassador of NE in this Forum....Gr8 going....

Abhi
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh thank you for these pics, we missed this when we went there (it did not rain and the falls were covered in fog!)
Old 23rd July 2007, 09:14   #8
BHPian

Guys, thank you for all the encouragement. As far as a write up goes, I don't have much to add as all I did was get there and return while clicking these on the way. This because it was very wet and I just recovered from a fever. Same was the case with wifey. My objective of going there was not sightseeing anyways. We just went there for a drive and that was it.

Sohra now has a few resorts for people wanting to stay there for a couple of days to enjoy sights. Also, there are a few caves and an Eco Park there. Another place of tourist interest would be a wildlife sanctuary. If anyone wants any details, I can look it up and provide the same.
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:57   #9
BHPian

Nice....

Nice to see you promoting Shillong, Sumit. Next time you go down to Guwahati, do take some pics of Bara Pani and post it. I'm sure it will blow the minds of the people here... I just hope that water levels are ok, as it was supposed to be very low a few months back.
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

How good is the condition of the road? I remember when I travelled a few years ago that the road was outstanding, with good signages.

15 kms from Cherrapunjee, try out the Cherra Resort (hope that is not closed down), a great place overlooking the Valley.

Incidentally, the waterfall is called Nokhalikai Falls and is best seen at Cherrapunjee Point, 5 kms from Sohra Town.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:09   #11
BHPian

Barapani or Umiam as it is locally called, is now full till the brim. The govt. on Friday last issued a notification and advised all the villages around the area to move away from the stream, which generally indicated that water will be released from the dam any day. That is a sight to behold! If it happens, yours truly will present you all with some outstanding pics.

The resort is there for the taking.

The roads are okay other than a few kms. of potholes caused due to landslides and heavy vehicle movement.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:12   #12
BHPian

Great to hear that Barapani is full now. I last went to Shillong about 2 years back. I was born there. Grandmom was from Shillong. Used to go there every year for the vacations. Past 5-6 years I have not got much time or chance to go there... Still good to see you have having a fantastic time there and have managed to influence others to visit there! You can take up home tourism!
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

man, the pics are awesome.
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there mate.

Which is the wettest place in India, guess its not Cheerapunji. Any thghts folks? I vaguely remember having seen a program on NGC which said it was some place near Cheerapunji(I could be wrong too).
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:05   #15
BHPian

Mawsynram and Cherrapunji (about 30 kms apart), share the title of being the wettest places on earth. A few years it is Cherra and a few years it is Mawsynram. Both places are in Meghalaya and both places are a must visit for all tourists.

Most Viewed