Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2023, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip

Discovering Thiruvananthapuram from Chennai in Two Days

Weekend adventures are my jam, but I needed a new place to explore for just two days - Saturday and Sunday. Since driving or biking wouldn't get me far enough, I decided to hop on a flight.

I looked at the map, considering Mumbai, Bangalore, and Visakhapatnam, but then Thiruvananthapuram caught my eye. Kerala had always been about places like Munnar and Alleppey, but this time, the capital city beckoned.

Thiruvananthapuram might not be as famous, but I found it simple and charming. What intrigued me the most was Varkala Beach, often called "Mini Goa." I wanted to find out if the comparison was true. Poovar Island was another gem I'd never heard of, but I was excited to explore it.

The only hitch? Varkala Beach and Poovar Island were 70 kilometers apart, and I had just a weekend to cover both. Can I do it?

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_7131.jpg

Index

Poovar Island Boating

Vizhinjam Lighthouse

Naiper Museum

Trivandrum Zoo

Varkala Beach

Golden Island

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 25th October 2023 at 11:31.
raptor_diwan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 13:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip

Planning and Rental Bookings

I booked my flight from Chennai, departing at 5:15 AM and arriving in Thiruvananthapuram at 6:45 AM, all set for an adventure. Now, let the planning commence!

Transport: The real deal lies in getting around Trivandrum, and I've decided to rent a bike. Even an Activa would be perfect for exploring the city and its surroundings. So, I made a list of rental companies in Trivandrum and found three major ones. Unfortunately, recent reviews for all of them were not very promising. People were talking about cheating and other issues.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-reviw.png

I decided to call each of these companies, but as mentioned in the reviews, I couldn't reach anyone. None of them answered my calls. However, I noticed that they did offer online booking and payment options on their websites. So, I held off on that and started looking into bus routes as a backup plan. The reviews include Royal Brothers. Initially, they all had positive feedback when I did a general Google search. However, when I filtered for the newest reviews, they weren't as favorable.

I checked out a few YouTube videos and stumbled upon a shop called Metal Leopard. I tried giving them a call, but there was no response. All of this planning happened on a Friday night, with the need for a bike the very next day. In fact, the entire plan, from booking my flight ticket in the afternoon to everything else below, was put together on that Friday itself, all while I was at the office. But hey, I'm a multitasker. Just in case my manager reads this!

About an hour later, around 9 PM, I received a call from Metal Leopard Motorcycle. They inquired about my needs and provided me with the rental prices. As promised, they sent me the details via WhatsApp. I mentioned my preference for making the payment in person to avoid potential delays or issues, ensuring that I could swiftly switch to another rental shop if needed. They agreed and shared their GPS location. Recent reviews were positive, but I had another rental company as a backup option (even though they had less favorable ratings), so I decided to give it a try, while Metal Leopard remained my top choice.

Things I've Carried:

* Aadhar card
* Vaccination certificate -I have seen it listed as a mandatory requirement in flight ticket forums, but no one asked for it. In fact, a PCR test is mandatory when entering Tamil Nadu from Kerala, but it wasn't enforced.
* Voter Id
* Diving license
* Small notepad with Emergency numbers
* Backup phone - Basic
* Powerbank
* Gorilla Tripod

Here's the preliminary travel plan:

Day 1:

1.Depart from Chennai to Trivandrum.
2.Proceed from the airport to the rental company.
3.Travel from the Metal leopard to Poovur Island.
4.Continue to Poovur Island to explore Kovalam Light House and spend some time at Kovalam Beach.
5.Head from Kovalam Beach to Napier Museum & Zoo.
6. After visiting Napier, proceed to Varkala for an overnight stay.

Day 2:

1. From Varkala, make my way to Munroe Island.
2.Return to Trivandrum and return the bike rental.

Finally, head back to Chennai.

I couldn't find any recent Trivandrum-related travelogue on Team BHP. However, I did discover some fantastic ones from 2015 and 2016.

With the assistance of Google and Google Maps, I put together the plan mentioned above.

The big question is, is this itinerary feasible?

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 18th October 2023 at 22:04.
raptor_diwan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:57   #3
BHPian

D-Day

My journey started with a flight really early, at 5:15 AM. To make sure I didn't miss my flight, I set two alarms: one for 3:30 AM and another for 3:00 AM, just in case I needed an extra nudge to wake up. I planned to leave home at 3:45 AM, thinking I could reach the airport in just 10-15 minutes. The best part? I was riding my scooter, so no need for a taxi or waiting around – I was ready to roll!

Everything was going according to plan until, out of the blue, it started raining. Now, I usually enjoy the soothing sound of rain when I'm snug in bed, but this was not the right time for it. If my T-shirt got wet, I'd be stuck with soggy clothes and shoes for the entire flight ( entire day ) . So, I thought about pulling over to avoid getting drenched, but then I realized that only my T-shirt was really getting wet. My jeans and shoes were surprisingly dry. It seemed the rain was a bit off target, and thanks to my trusty scooter's windshield, only my T-shirt was taking a bath. So, I decided to keep going without waiting for the rain to stop. No rain delay for me!

I had a clever idea to ditch my wet T-shirt at the airport and change into a dry one I'd packed for the next day. And, if needed, I could pick up a new shirt in Kerala, However, by the time I reached the airport, the rain had stopped, and my T-shirt had dried up. It turned out it wasn't as wet as I thought.

I parked my Activa in Aerohub parking, making sure to keep the parking slip safe. I thought the parking would cost me around 90 - 120 for two days, but the final price turned out to be a surprise. I'll reveal the cost in my concluding post.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-1.jpg

Chennai Airport Parking

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-2.jpg

I parked my bike, and as a safety precaution and for evidence in case of any issues, I snapped a photo of it next to the pillar number. After securing my mask, I headed to the terminal, went straight to the boarding gate, waited for about 20 minutes, and finally boarded the flight.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-3.jpg

Connecting bridge from parking to airport

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-4.jpg

I didn't have any baggage to worry about, just a backpack I was carrying with me. I had already completed the web check-in and even printed out my boarding pass in advance, so everything was smooth and hassle-free.

The three essential items I carried and used extensively were hand sanitizer, a mask, and camera in my mobile phone.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-5.jpg

Had a smooth flight, and I sat next to a senior who wasn't interested in armrest diplomacy. – it was all mine!

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-6.jpg

As we took off, I couldn't help but hear a child crying from the seats behind me. I thought I was in for a full-blown crying concert for the entire trip, but it turned out the little performer saved the grand finale for the landing.

I got quite hungry, so I bought a coconut bun from the Old Madras Bakery the night before the flight. I devoured it completely, and it almost felt like I had already had my breakfast.

Landed at 6:30 AM

After leaving the airport, I hailed an auto-rickshaw and asked for a ride to the "Metal Leopard" rental shop while also inquiring about the fare. He mentioned it would be based on the meter, so I hopped in. To my surprise, the shop was just a short 3 to 5-minute ride from the airport, and the fare was a mere 50 rupees. I took down the driver's number for a possible return trip or future reference. As we rode along, I couldn't resist asking for a few local recommendations.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-7.jpg

We had a pleasant conversation, and the driver initially thought I was from Sri Lanka because my Tamil was similar to their dialect. However, I noticed his Tamil had a Sri Lankan flair, so we had a friendly chat about various topics while waiting outside the shop.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-8.jpg

I called Metal Leopard because the shop was closed, and the auto-rickshaw driver was patiently waiting for me near the shop. I was standing next to him while making the call. They answered and informed me that the shop would only open at 8:30. I had arrived around 7:15, so I had some time to kill.

The auto driver suggested taking me to a fish market to enjoy the view or mentioned another beach, perhaps Samuthrakani Beach (although I can't quite recall the name). However, I realized that if he dropped me off there, he would have to wait for my return. Instead, I asked him to drop me on the market road, and I'd walk and come back to his location later.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-9.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-10.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-11.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-12.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-13.jpg

In the meantime, I found the Metal Leopard owner on Instagram and messaged him, explaining that I had already arrived and asking for assistance in getting the vehicle earlier than the shop's opening time. He saw my message, called me, and instructed me to return to the shop. He assured me that someone would be there to provide me with the key.

I headed back to the shop after withdrawing some cash from an ATM. It was around 8 or maybe 8:15 by now. A lady from the shop came out and asked me about my bike preference. I mentioned that I wanted a Dio, but at the moment, they only had a Fascino available. I agreed to take the Fascino.

I had to hand over my original driver's license, and the rental period was calculated based on 24 hours. I picked up the scooter at 7 AM and planned to return it the next day at 4 PM, which counted as 2 days and cost me 1000 rupees. After making the full payment, I took photos of the vehicle and began my journey.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-14.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-15.jpg

I relied on Google Maps for navigation, popped in my AirPods, ( For audio direction) and set Google Maps to navigate me to Poovar Island for boating. My original plan was to visit the lighthouse first, but I realized it wouldn't open until around 10 AM, and I would arrive much earlier. So, I decided to head to Poovar Island for boating first.

When I hit the road, I quickly realized the scooter's brakes were as effective as Train brakes, it takes long time to halt the vechile, And the speedometer? It left me in the dark about how fast I was going.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-16.jpg

But hey, the scooter itself was in the mood for some speedy adventures. So, I had quite the ride with a scooter that had a need for speed and brakes that were enjoying a siesta!

The speedometer also wasn't working, but the scooter itself was running fine. But those brakes, well, let's just say they left much to be desired.

At first, I didn't pay much attention to the brake issue, but a few minutes into the ride, I was cruising at around 60 kmph when I spotted a speed bump up ahead. I squeezed both brake levers with all my might, but the scooter didn't seem the least bit interested in slowing down. It just charged ahead, so I braced myself like a soldier preparing for impact and hit the speed bump. I came to a stop, thinking I should return to the rental shop and request an exchange, but that would take time, and the brakes were light – I just needed to adapt.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-17.jpg

So, I gathered my courage, started the scooter again, and with time, I got used to it. I figured out just how many kilometers before a stop I should hit the brakes and how much time in advance I should ease off the accelerator. It turned into an adventure of its own, quite fun, you know!

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 17th October 2023 at 19:06.
raptor_diwan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:19   #4
BHPian

Poovar Island Boating

Upon arriving at Poovar Island for boating, I inquired about the pricing. The price listed on their board was 2500 rupees, but I had watched a few YouTube videos where the rate was only 1500 rupees per hour. So, I asked them for their price, explaining that I was alone and looking for a tranquil nature ride rather than hitting the beach. It seemed like I was the first customer of the morning.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-18.jpg

They initially quoted 1800 rupees, but I firmly negotiated and settled for 1350 rupees for a 1-hour ride. They argued that even for one person, this was a motorboat, and they needed to cover the fuel cost. I haggled for a while, staying at 1300 rupees, and eventually, we reached an agreement at 1350 rupees. Quite a discount from their initial 2500 rupee quote, and it felt reasonable compared to the rates in those YouTube videos.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-19.jpg

Once we set sail, I couldn't help but chuckle at my earlier doubts. I'd watched some YouTube videos and thought, "Is this place really worth the price?" But as it turns out, it was like stumbling upon a hidden gem. The backwaters were practically empty, and it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. It was one of those moments where reality surpassed any expectations I had.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-20.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-21.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-22.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-23.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-24.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-25.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-26.jpg

After a while, we reached an area with several floating restaurants. It seemed like you could take your pick from any of them. I spotted a sign for Saravana Bhavan and got excited, thinking about all the dosa varieties I could feast on. However, to my disappointment, they only had parota and paneer.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-27.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-28.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-29.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-29.1.jpeg

I made the switch to explore other options and ended up with a sandwich and a serving of noodles. The sandwich turned out to be a good choice, but oh boy, those noodles were a taste bud disaster!

I had a great time at the restaurant. Curious about the cost, I found out that the sandwich and noodles set me back 400 rupees, with each dish costing 200 rupees. Honestly, the price seemed to be more about the location and the view they offered. In terms of taste, it wasn't exactly worth it. I came expecting dosa and ended up with noodles

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-30.jpg

Elephant Rock, a creation of nature, strikingly resembles an elephant in shape.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-31.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-32.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-33.jpg

These are all the cottages that will only have access via boat, and according to the boat handler, the cost to stay here per night is 10,000. The view from this place during sunset would be awesome.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-34.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-35.jpg

A statue situated in the middle of the water.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-36.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-37.jpg

My boat handler deserves a tip for being my personal photographer – always ready to capture the good side, Not to mention, his enthusiasm made every moment even more memorable.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-38.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-39.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-40.jpg

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 25th October 2023 at 11:39.
raptor_diwan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:22   #5
BHPian

As the crowd started to gather with boats all around and people making noise, I was thankful for arriving early and enjoying the tranquility. I couldn't fathom why some people come to such a peaceful place and act as if they're in a pub. Nonetheless, I let them be and cherished the boat ride. I even asked my boat operator to capture a few pictures of me, which he skillfully managed while maneuvering the boat.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-41.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-42.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-43.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-44.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-45.jpg

Once I wrapped up the boat adventure, I gave our hearty thanks to the boat operator and set a course for Kovalam Light House.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! I thoroughly enjoyed it. The journey inside the canal was serene and beautiful. However, the last 10 minutes on the way back were less enjoyable due to the sun. So, it's best to do this boat ride early in the morning or in the evening. Afternoons are not ideal, and the presence of a crowd can make the experience less peaceful with all the noise.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 17th October 2023 at 21:25.
raptor_diwan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 23:04   #6
BHPian

Vizhinjam Lighthouse (Kovalam Lighthouse)

It was just around the corner. While looking at the map, I had anticipated a longer journey, but the route from Trivandrum to Poovar Island turned out to be a straight shot on a perfect highway, making the ride exceptionally smooth.

Here comes another classic "scenic route" courtesy of Google Maps. I followed the digital guide faithfully and, lo and behold, ended up in a dead-end.

I spotted a parking slot with a banner that read "Light House Parking." I asked the parking attendant how to get to the lighthouse, and he casually informed me that bikes weren't allowed up there. I took his word for it and parked my scooter, shelling out 50 bucks. To make the most of my 50-rupee investment, I even asked him to look after my bag.

So, I started my journey on foot, huffing and puffing my way to the lighthouse entrance like a tired dog chasing its tail. But guess what? When I finally arrived, panting and all, I discovered that there was a bike parking area inside the lighthouse compound. And to add insult to injury, they were charging a mere 20 bucks for both entry to the lighthouse and parking.

No big deal, I didn't mind it one bit.

I took some snaps at the lighthouse, and let me tell you, the view was nothing short of breathtaking. I found myself captivated by the waves. Comparing them to the Bay of Bengal, I was slowly but surely falling in love with the Arabian Sea. The waves were a different kind of beauty, so pristine and enchanting. I couldn't tear my eyes away, just sat there for a while soaking it all in.

Then, I decided to enlist a kind passerby for a picture. Here's the fun twist: I asked him to take a photo, positioned myself for the perfect shot, and he clicked away. But when I requested a shot from behind to capture the beach, all he did was snap a picture of my back and handed it over. I thought to myself, "Where's the beach in this picture?"

What am I going to do with a photo of my back? Solo traveler problems, right? Or maybe he decided to play a little revenge prank on me for asking for another photo. Who knows! Haha, Thanked him for the picture and I moved inside.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 18th October 2023 at 13:43.
raptor_diwan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 13:54   #7
BHPian

There was a cloakroom where I needed to leave my footwear, and the attendant asked for 5 rupees as a fee. I realized I didn't have any change, only 100s, and she simply smiled and left. I left my footwear and took the lift to the top of the lighthouse, and the view was nothing short of spectacular.

This picture is incredibly beautiful, isn't it? It's simple, yet I absolutely adore the scene, right in the middle of the lighthouse.

I sat up there for nearly an hour, enjoying the serene atmosphere. Since there wasn't much of a crowd, I had a great time capturing videos.

Eventually, it was time to head to the Napier Museum. I passed by a few shops, but nothing piqued my interest, so I made my way back to the parking area.

No one was around, but my bag was still inside the security room.

I grabbed my bag, checked to ensure my charger was there (it's the most valuable item in my bag), and confirmed that my phone, wallet, and AirPods were still with me. All was well, so I headed off to the Napier Museum.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 25th October 2023 at 11:42.
raptor_diwan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:35   #8
BHPian

Naiper Museum

I started the bike and had a pleasant ride. I was really getting the hang of this scooter, and I found the experience quite enjoyable.

One thing that struck me, especially coming from Chennai, was that people here seemed to actually respect traffic rules. At every signal, I noticed that people were stopping correctly before the line. In Chennai, if you stop before the line, you'll get honked at to move forward a bit, and nobody really respects the stop lines in my neighborhood. If there's even a tiny gap, we'd squeeze through. So, initially, I was the odd one out in Trivandrum, going all the way to the front, and it felt a bit awkward. But I quickly adapted and started following the rules properly. Come on, don't judge me, we've all been there, right?

Another observation was that the traffic here was much lighter compared to Chennai, despite being the capital. It was a pleasant change from the hustle and bustle I was used to.

When I reached Napier Museum, I found the parking situation to be quite confusing. People were giving different directions, and after some confusion, I ended up parking on a nearby road and decided to walk to the museum.

Inside, the museum was a sight to behold. It looked quite impressive, and I spent some time exploring. There were numerous exhibits with intriguing stories to read and admire. I took pictures of various artifacts, paintings, and drawings. If you're not a fan of this kind of content, feel free to skip ahead to the part about my visit to Varkala.

This may not pique the interest of everyone, but if you share a fascination for ancient statues and related topics like I do, then I recommend checking this out.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 18th October 2023 at 18:11.
raptor_diwan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 18:27   #9
BHPian

I had a moderate, neither very impressed nor bored, experience. However, one aspect that caught my attention was the lack of depth in the informational panels. They mainly provide names of the items but could certainly improve by offering more historical and contextual information.

It was apparent that there was minimal storytelling about the artifacts and where they were discovered. It seems like a missed opportunity to engage visitors with the captivating narratives behind these items, especially in the case of the broken statue. There's likely an intriguing history waiting to be unveiled.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-44.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-45.jpg
raptor_diwan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 18:41   #10
BHPian

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-46.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-47.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-48.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-49.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-50.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-51.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-52.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-53.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-54.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-55.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-56.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-57.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-58.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-59.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-60.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-61.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-62.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-63.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-64.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-65.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-66.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-67.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-68.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-69.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-70.jpg
raptor_diwan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 19:03   #11
BHPian

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-71.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-72.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-73.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-74.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-75.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-76.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-77.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-78.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-79.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-80.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-81.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-82.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-83.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-84.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-85.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-86.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-87.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-88.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-89.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-90.jpg
raptor_diwan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 19:10   #12
BHPian

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-91.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-92.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-93.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-95.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-96.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-94.jpg

The place was truly amazing, and I had a fantastic time here. There were so many impressive things to see, including statues, coins, and more. I was particularly captivated by the golden chariot and spent quite some time admiring its intricate details. Overall, it was a lot of fun being here, and now I'm starting to feel a bit hungry since the sandwich I had for breakfast wasn't quite enough. Time for a snack

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 18th October 2023 at 22:49.
raptor_diwan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 23:23   #13
BHPian

Trivandrum Zoo

After my visit to the museum, I headed over to the zoo. So far, everything was going according to plan, and I was determined to stick to it. However, the zoo turned out to be a bit of a letdown. I couldn't spot many animals, except for a few and some birds. The animals were not very visible, and the experience wasn't as impressive as I had hoped.

Without a cloakroom, my poor shoulder would've been toast for sure. Wearing that backpack through the whole museum was like carrying around a baby elephant! I finally gave in and left it at the cloakroom which cost Rs. 5/-. The same service can be found at the lighthouse as well, which also costs 5 rupees, but at the lighthouse, I left it in the parking itself.

At the ticket counter, I found myself in a dilemma: whether to purchase the standard 30-rupees ticket or opt for the 60-rupees ticket that included a battery car ride. I had been walking since morning, and I had no idea how large this zoo was. If it was anything like Vandaloor, it would be quite a trek. I asked the ticket counter attendant how long the battery car ride would take, and they told me to inquire with the driver. Since the line was a bit long, I decided to go with the standard ticket and headed inside.

Much like the majority of the zoo, this place is also 'coupled up' heaven

I have seen all the trees have a board like this with details about the tree.

And then here comes the King.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 20th October 2023 at 17:13.
raptor_diwan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 19:03   #14
BHPian

I got really bored at the zoo; there wasn't much to see, and many places seemed to be empty. It was only worth visiting the lion and hippo enclosures.

When I came out, I was hungry, and I didn't have a plan to stop anywhere for a restaurant. In fact, I didn't even know which one would be good in this city. However, outside, there was a canteen in the zoo itself. I ordered chicken biryani, and it came out like this. I'm from TN, and biryani was never like this. I had it and then headed directly to Most Awaited Varkala.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 21st October 2023 at 10:00.
raptor_diwan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 10:13   #15
BHPian

Varkala Beach

With my time in Trivandrum complete, it was time to move on to Varkala and find a place to stay by the beach. I hopped on my scooter for the long ride ahead. It was a 50-kilometer journey, estimated to take about 1.5 hours according to Google Maps. Long scooter rides weren't new to me, and I was well-prepared with a water bottle to stay hydrated. The weather was becoming pleasantly cool and windy, setting the mood for the ride.

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6860.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6872.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6889.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6890.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6905.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6906.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6914.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6915.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6916.jpg

Chennai to Trivandrum & Varkala: 38-Hour Solo Trip-img_6917.jpg

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 23rd October 2023 at 13:03.
raptor_diwan is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks