Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2023, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Pune to Ladakh drive in a VW Polo GT TSI | A tale of how my car broke down in the middle of nowh

While it's entertaining and educating to read travelogues, these sort of write-ups act as inspiration. There are several things I learnt by reading your post. I sincerely hope you will be able to make it again.
For me missing a journey is a missed opportunity because most of the time I never get a second chance to get parole from my urban prison camp.
I am confident you are more stronger because you know what it is to come back from the gates.
Godspeed.
scorched_earth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 18:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune to Ladakh drive in a VW Polo GT TSI | A tale of how my car broke down in the middle of nowh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched_earth View Post
There are several things I learnt by reading your post. I sincerely hope you will be able to make it again.
+1. I also learnt the importance of equipment such as M-seal, tape, towing rope, tyre inflator, utility kits etc. when undertaking such long drives to remote areas.

I guess our guy made it to Ladakh (from Pune) on a bike (KTM Duke 200) after this Polo GTI coolant leak incident.

Quoting a post from another thread along with link to that post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post5663975 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanderlustdrv View Post
I recently completed a 6000 kms solo bike ride from Pune to Ladakh. My helmet of choice was the humble Vega Bolt which is a light-weight (1350 gms) ISI and DOT certified helmet.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=MSOYZqMpBrM?feature=share

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 20th November 2023 at 18:03.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 18:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
+1.
I guess our guy made it to Ladakh (from Pune) on a bike (KTM Duke 200) after this Polo GTI coolant leak incident.

Quoting a post from another thread along with link to that post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post5663975 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet)
I did... and that is a tale for another time!
dwanderlustdrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
There are several lessons to be learnt in this story about how to manage a disaster in this kind of situation. I'm just happy that in the end, I was able to fully recover from it with the car and drive it back 2000 kms all the way to Pune without any problems!
Great example of determination and grit that you have displayed, dwanderlustdrv.

Agreed, VW and Skoda (or any German machine for that matter) are difficult to get fixed at FNGs or local repair shops. Had it been a Maruti, Tata, Mahindra, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai, your ordeal would have been far less demanding and physically less draining

However, something that bothers me - why haven't our jugaadu repair shops and FNGs been able to still figure out working on fixing VW/SKoda cars?
VW has been around in India for more than a decade (13 years to be precise, 2010 is when VW Vento was launched). Skoda, even before VW (2000, maybe?)

I understand, sales have not been that great in semi-urban/rural areas, however, our desi-mechanics are smart enough to atleast work up a hot-fix to let the car be drivable to the nearest service station - which couldn't happen in this case.

Could this also be a reason why people would rather prefer to go for trusted/known brands existing in India since decades?

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 22nd December 2023 at 11:33.
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 14:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

A very wise decision to turn back. When the VW manger bumped your car into another in Jammu, that was the point I thought your luck has really run out on you. You are lucky to have the car back and repaired. I think it was a risk to go all the way solo and with a car like VW/Skoda, it's wise to look out for garages around your drive route. Anyways, valuable lessons learnt and shared, all is well that ends well. I am sure I will read your travelogue to Ladakh the next time around. Good luck!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:26   #21

Sounds like a terrific journey. Thanks for the details of your experience. I can't possibly imagine the ordeal and how to keep your cool and get to the end of it. Only a real situation can teach you perhaps. I am glad that your finally got home safely
arnab.i@gmail.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 22:49   #22
BHPian

I loved reading your write up. It's certainly a great story that you can tell to your kids and grandkids. You showed great endurance and ingenuity to tackle all of this solo, and it's great that you found some helpful people along the way. I hope you try the journey again some other day.
Aakarsh Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 23:28   #23
BHPian

This was one of the most challenging journey threads I've read. Hats off to you for handling the setback really well and coming out of it relatively unscathed.

While driving alone was purely your choice and preference, but can't help the thought that you could have gone with some company. Even 3 days travelling alone feels lonely. And certainly in a group with other cars a breakdown can be handled with more support
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 19:31   #24
BHPian

With situations like this, I was very apprehensive to take my older Ciaz, and decided to finish off Leh tour while my Kia Carens was pretty new.

You sincerely missed these
More of my travel pics are in my ownership thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-kms-up-5.html

Pune to Ladakh drive in a VW Polo GT TSI | A tale of how my car broke down in the middle of nowhere-img_20230604_1533292.jpg
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Wonderful writeup. Very sorry for the troubles you faced. I am surprised that when our humble altos can handle these regions so well, why cant better built cars take the beating?

Also can I know which app you have used to generate the below statistics?

Quote:
shrinz.vivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 15:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
Also can I know which app you have used to generate the below statistics?
Thanks! For the stats, I used geotracker Android app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheChamp View Post
While driving alone was purely your choice and preference, but can't help the thought that you could have gone with some company
Thanks. I prefer traveling solo, especially when vlogging. The next attempt was a solo bike ride in Aug end, again from Pune to Ladakh. And that one was absolutely successful! Working on the YouTube vlogs.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th December 2023 at 16:37. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks