Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2023, 12:47   #1
BHPian

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai

It was my Wife’s birthday and I wanted to make this moment memorable. Getting consent to travel on her birthday, I promised not to go very far and did my resort bookings and planned. I completely missed out that our PM is supposed to land at the very location where we were supposed to stay. When I called up the resort, the Resort manager asked me to reach before 11 AM since there were lot of police arrangements. Only then I got to know that it was due to the PM visit and since it was < 150Kms ride for us, I thought we should be fine as we planned to make this a bike ride. The plan was to ride on 8th April and return on 9th April, but little did we know what was in stock after reaching there.

Ride Day

After getting birthday blessings, my wife jumped up on the bike happily on the exciting journey ahead. We planned to ride through Kotagiri-Ooty-Masinagudi. As always, I depended on Google Maps for the route. Little did I know that it would point us on the road that was not allowed for vehicles other than TN-43 registration. The alternate route was an additional 75KMs wounding around through Gudalur road.

We took the first tea break at Mettuppalayam just before climbing the ghat road. The road for smooth and for us, with the new rear suspension change, it was even smoother all the way through. Took some breaks for snaps on the way.

We reached Kotagiri in no time and continued towards Ooty.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi1.jpg
Capturing natural colors at Kadubettu village

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi2.jpg
One for the ride

The only place we encountered a bottleneck traffic was at the entrance to Doddabetta, where a big line of vechicles waiting to enter. But it was in the opposite direction, so we made it easily towards Ooty.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi3.jpg
One for the bike, our saviour

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi4.jpg
Beautiful and smooth curvy roads towards Ooty

Crossing Ooty, we continued the ride through the heavy traffic, and came to the place where Google map was showing us to take right, but the right was barricaded, and police were not allowing any vehicles. Not knowing the informal rules, I rode towards where we were stopped and enquired. At first, the PC completely denied entry. I requested him saying that we had to reach by 11AM to the resort. He, at first said that the Kalhatty road is very dangerous and lots of accidents have happened and said since my vehicle is not a local registered (TN-43), they cannot allow us. We just stood for there for while when the same (kind-hearted) PC, said I must ride only on 1st and 2nd Gear, not to go beyond 3rd gear. We readily agreed and happily left thanking him.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi5.jpg
Entering Mudumalai Tiger Reserve

It was only after riding for a couple of Kms we came to know that this was a Ghat section with 36 Hairpins. We realized this was going to be one of the adventurous rides. We continued the journey with utmost caution. We were stopped at the Kalhatty checkpost and enquired, we said we were going towards masinagudi, they said we cannot go beyond Masinagudi as PM visit is scheduled. We agreed and continued. It was one of the most adventurous ghat roads I have driven. There were many bends that were very blunt and very slopey. The breaking had to be very precise and perfect. I completely relied on my bikes prowess and God continuing our journey. Successfully clearing the 36 Hairpin bends, we were happy.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi6.jpg
Crossing the first hurdle

Little did we know that we have another 29Kms to cover through the Mudumalai Tiger reserve Forest. It was one of the most memorable birthday rides for my Wife.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi7.jpg
Roads inside the reserve

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi8.jpg
Road to Tiger safari

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi9.jpg
No one following or ahead of us, except the deer crossing (watch closely)

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi10.jpg
Reached the destination

After all the exciting ride, we reached Masinagudi only to be stopped by police barricades and telling us to wait. We thought it was the PM who was supposed to cross us, but it was not, they were conducting live drills. There were huge battalions of Police forces. Wherever we looked at, we had uniforms, striking force, reserve police. All shops closed. The road that we were to take incidentally lead to the temporary helipad where the PM was supposed to Land and entering it was herculean.
Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi11.jpg
Security, Security and More Security

We were once again blocked and had to provide all the details and booking confirmation. They let us in.
We reached the resort, could not go out anywhere. Within our Resort, they were SPs, DSPs and IGs holding up for the security, hence, it was as if we were secured. We checked-in, had lunch and spent time around and there was a river near to our cottage where there was water trickling, we spend much of our evening out there. We could not go out anywhere as it was completely locked out and out of bounds for the public.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi12.jpg
Inside the resort

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi13.jpg
Our cottage by the river

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi14.jpg
Beautiful dusk!

The next day, we woke up and had breakfast, we could hear the copters coming in. So, we understood that the PM had landed, and we were told he would departure by 11 AM. So, we observed the build up to the occasion. Lots of people walked-in to watch our PM. It was as if a celebrity had landed to see the people, they were so eager and waving around. Finally, we saw our PM taking the copters and leaving.

Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai-masinagudi15.jpg
PM's Chopper waiting to depart

Once it was done, we checked-out from the resort and started our journey back home.
We, again, took the Kalhatty ghat on our way back. Now, we were very confident and relaxed as we were followed by and preceded by Police vehicles on the forest roads. We again climbed the 36 Hairpin bends which our bike took it at ease. We reached Ooty and took a break at our regular tea shop to have some snacks. Had our break, and after some chocholate purchase, we returned home safe after a few snaps on the way back. All in all, it was a very memorable ride to Masinagudi. The bike was completely reliable and on no occasion did it show a sign of concern to us.

Thanks for being it till the end!
silverstreakcbe is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Meteor 350: Ride to Masinagudi during PM Visit to Mudumalai

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreakcbe View Post
Crossing Ooty, we continued the ride through the heavy traffic, and came to the place where Google map was showing us to take right, but the right was barricaded, and police were not allowing any vehicles. Not knowing the informal rules, I rode towards where we were stopped and enquired. At first, the PC completely denied entry. I requested him saying that we had to reach by 11AM to the resort. He, at first said that the Kalhatty road is very dangerous and lots of accidents have happened and said since my vehicle is not a local registered (TN-43), they cannot allow us. We just stood for there for while when the same (kind-hearted) PC, said I must ride only on 1st and 2nd Gear, not to go beyond 3rd gear. We readily agreed and happily left thanking him.
Really nice to know that the PC obliged. Only uphill is allowed on the Kalhatty road.
One of the many youtube videos which highlight the perils of this road

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks