Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2007, 14:30   #1
BHPian

Single day trip to Jog (from Bangalore) and back

Was a flash decision to drive down to Jog in monsoon time to witness the falls in full glory after seeing some snaps in newspapers. For the uninitiated, Jog falls is the highest untiered waterfall in India that plunges from 829 feet and is located in Shimoga district in Karnataka, and about 400km from Bangalore.

This drive happened during the weekend of 18th August. Started from Bangalore in the night at 10.30 on 18th August. Filled at the Shell pump on NH4 and proceeded towards Shimoga. Roads are pretty much OK except around Tarikere where it gets bad which is not so good news for a 5 person loaded stock Zen (old). Rest of the travelogue in pictures...

Sharavathy river full to the brim

Our ride

Entry to the View point at the top of the fall

Different Views of falls

As seen above was very misty. The fall is so big that it sets up a very local weather system, the one of continuous precipitation. So we decided to drive to a different viewpoint which is on top of the fall. On the way decided to visit the scenic bridge as seen below

Entry to the top of the falls
Customary warning sign: Translated reads, Danger ahead. Do not walk on the rocks.

Some views of falls

On the way back visited Talguppa railway station which has (had, rather with latest news of closure of track) one of the last surviving Metreguage Railbus running. When we visited the service was temporarily suspended due to heavy rains. Here are a couple of pictures of a very scenic station

Also it has a turntable which is used to reverse the engine as Talguppa is a terminal. The process of turning is engine is manual with 3-4 people involved !!

So all of it was done by around 4 PM of 19th Sunday. We headed back for a eventless journey and reached home by 11 PM.

So thus ended the 24 hour dash to Jog and back. Not bad eh...?

cheers
Bullfrog
Old 14th September 2007, 14:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pictures and trip log , bullfrog. Jog at is absolute beauty captured by a t-bhp'ian !! splendid.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pictures !! Looking down from the top should have been amazing.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:10   #4
BHPian

Good pictures, the mist you captured is fantastic.
Old 14th September 2007, 16:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Splendid pics Bullfrog, I specially the pics of the Talaguppa Railway station, absolute amazing...
Are they stopping the service? if yes, any idea why?

Abhi
Old 14th September 2007, 16:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great pics, lucky you to get a clear view of the falls in the monsoon, they are always covered by mist.
Where did you take the snaps 6,7 and 8?
talguppa is a sleepy picturesque town.
The photos speak better than any travelogue.
Old 14th September 2007, 17:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures there, btw how long did you take to reach Jog? Planning a trip to Jog, but trying to do it on a weekend would be a bit tight i suppose!
Old 14th September 2007, 17:37   #8
BANNED

Lovely pics and nice report. Any place to stay near there? Was it very crowded?
Old 14th September 2007, 21:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics!!
I've always wanted to go see Jog falls..but somehow or the other I've missed out .
Old 14th September 2007, 22:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

wonderful bullfrog , very nice pictures.The railway track is very senic .Would love to potograph it ,next time will try to deviate here.
Old 15th September 2007, 00:32   #11
BHPian

That was an amazing ride! The photos are awesome, reminds me my ride last month: Hacking | Photography | Bird-Watching: 500 kilometers a day keeps blues away

Enjoy riding,
Kousik
Old 16th September 2007, 10:51   #12
BHPian

Bullfrog:

Absolutely beautiful pics. I didn't know that you could go up all the way to the top of Jog; By the way, is it also possible to go down to the base?

Is there any place to stay overnight?
Old 16th September 2007, 18:16   #13
BHPian

Great pics bro....nice to see Jog in full strength.About a month ago,the Karnataka tourism dept organised a Fall festival here & in Shivasamudram.The turnout at jog on that weekend was about 70,000 & there was a mile long traffic jam....shows how popular this place is, all of a sudden.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:17   #14
BHPian

Some comment to hopefully answer some of the queries.

Accomodation maybe available at Sagar and could be very basic. If planned in advance can book British bungalow not sure about the department though, could be forest dept. British bungalow is the one seen on top of the falls.

One sure way to escape jam is to reach there early morning (5 am types). This involves driving in the night and can be done only by experienced/multiple drivers. That way by the time whole world wakes up and trying to get into the Jog falls, you are on your way out of the place

Have heard the news that railbus has stopped and that could be permanent. Some old pics which we shot in year 2003 are seen below.

The Birur line itself has 100 year old history and Talguppa shot to prominence when there was heavy logging on during British times. Anyway Metreguage is on its way out. Only the few celebrated non-broadguage lines are retained as heritage with tourism playing a big role in the same. Alas that is not to be the fate of Talguppa line.

More on operation of Turn table can be seen here

[IRFCA] Indian Railways Photo Gallery - A trip on the Shimoga Town - Talguppa MG railbus.

regards
Bullfrog
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:09   #15
BHPian

Hey Bullfrog....Nice travelogue....I recently had been to Jog falls twice during the last three months.....But I ended up hiring a local autorickshaw and also got a chance to visit the the shooting spot of one of the songs in the movie "Dweepa" it is the backwaters of a dam...
The link is as follows

Another pic of the tiny island

I am the one clicking the pic.....

Last edited by lancersfx : 23rd September 2007 at 10:17. Reason: adding the pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks