Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 13:07   #1
BHPian

remembering Yr 2004: A real "Lets Go" Trip which got decided in few minutes.

Year 2004: This trip just happened

After reading so many trips of TBHPians, I am tempted to mention about a trip which was not planned till last second.
Baat bahut puraani hai, It was Feb 2004 I was married for more than a year and was working in Noida.
Usually I used to travel to Agra( my & her Hometown) on almost all weekends but on 7th Feb 2004, We planned not to go to Agra and roam around New Delhi. SO packed our Lunch and headed for India Gate, I like the place as its clean and open.
Reached rajpath and purchased "bhelpoori" from bhelpoori walah and sat down to Enjoy the place. Weather was very pleasant as it was sunny cold day. we stayed there for a few hours after lunch and were planning to go back home. (time 4.30pm).
Some pictures

As I was panning to return home, I got a call from one of my friend who used to stay in Shimla (HP). He told that It has been snowing heavily for last 3 days and Shimla/Kufri is full of snow ( more than 2 feets). I knew that Shimla is 110 Kms from Chandigarh, so the distance from Delhi will be around 360Kms which is fine if I start now. Everything was going only in my mind and I did not even tell my friend that I may come. I don't know why but I thought of giving my wife a surprise who had never seen snow. I told her that we will be driving to Shimla tonight So I Went straight back home (Noida) picked some woolen clothing, Blanket etc & some snacks etc and Dumped into the car ( My Maruti 800). Since it was already evening so planned to take dinner on the way.
As there was a lot of traffic towards pitampura, I was stuck for more than an hour and somehow reached Delhi border by 10.00pm. Had our Dinner at some decent looking dhaba's ( Don't remember the name). Started again at 11.30pm towards Ambala/chandigarh. Maintained the speed constantly to 90-100kmph except for some Jams because of Trucks on Tolls etc. Kept driving towards Chandigarh and reached there at around 4:00am. There was no one to ask for directions. But since I stayed in Chandigarh for 2 yrs(95-97),I had some idea. I just kept driving towards Panchkula and reached Kalka at around 5-5:30am.
Was feeling a bit tired because of night driving. so planned to halt for an hour. Went to "chaiwalah", we had some strong tea and took some rest outside the car. It was very Dark & foggy in Kalka. Was just wondering if I can drive towards Shimla in these conditions.
With wife being so exited to see snow for the first time, I started again at 6.30 and reached Shimla at around 8.30am. It was snow all around with roofs of houses shining with the morning sunlight. I can see the expressions of my wife changing with every time she saw the snow on the way.
Some Pics on the way.

we took a Hotel room near Mall road (Don't remember the name of hotel now). parked my car at hotel, Dumped our baggage's in the room and came out to the famous Mall road.
Now let the Pictures Speak (Mall road Shimla)

while roaming around Mall road, we came across a Taxiwalah who was willing to take us to Kufri in just Rs350. Since it was not safe to drive in snow, I agreed and called him to pick us after lunch.
Reached Kufri which is 18 kms from Shimla at around 1.00 - 1.30, Took a "Khachhar" to the top of the mountain where all people go. It was amazing site, It was all snow-white where ever you see. for next 3-4 hours we spent good time playing with snow and watching other couples (some of them came on Honeymoon trips I believe) who were posing very intimately for pictures.
More Pics from Kufri

Came back to Shimla and roamed around Mall road, Had our Dinner and went back to our Hotel room. Rested for next 10 hours in the room and started back to Noida at around 9.00am next morning. could not stay much as the trip was not planned and I had to go to office on Monday.
The trip was very hectic but worth doing it.
Now I know how difficult it is to plan for trips when you have a kid :(.
Have never been able to this kind of trip again.
keep traveling.
Cheers.
GD

Last edited by greatDrive : 30th October 2007 at 13:13. Reason: removing duplicate photo
Old 30th October 2007, 13:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! An impresive journey & beautiful pics. I love the snow. When does it snow in shimla ?
Old 30th October 2007, 13:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wow ! An impresive journey & beautiful pics. I love the snow. When does it snow in shimla ?
It usually starts in late december and for sure in Jan/Feb.

@Greatdrive, that was some trip and nice to see so much snow around.
Old 31st October 2007, 07:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I love the snow. When does it snow in shimla ?
Usually It snows around 25th Dec to 1st Jan. But that snow is not enough to stay for more than few hours or a day. If you plan to visit Himachal or Uttranchal, Just make sure that it have snowed heavily for past few days. also avoid going when it is snowing. Best way is to call someone staying there or closely follow weather News on channels .
Old 31st October 2007, 08:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Report GD, sometimes these unplanned trips becomes so enterprising...
Really Amazing pics too, Me too never seen snow so far, hence all the more liking for your pics...

Abhi
Old 31st October 2007, 08:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Excellent Report GD, sometimes these unplanned trips becomes so enterprising...
Really Amazing pics too, Me too never seen snow so far, hence all the more liking for your pics...

Abhi
Thanks Abhi,
Though It was the second time when I went in snow, but still the experience was great. I still remember my first time in snow when I went with some college friends. After seeing snow for first time, I felt that I found some treasure .

If you want to visit snow filled moutains, best bet will be Sikkim( Darjling). since Its near Kolkatta. Plan in such a way that you visit your hometown and take 2 days off to this place when its snowing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks