Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 22:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thanksgiving weekend- Bastrop State Park,Texas

Hmmm..its back to work after 4 days of rest. Another long weekend,and a bunch of us had been contemplating where to go. Ideally a day visit, drive out early morning & return by night.
So we decided to visit Bastrop State park, east of Austin,Texas. 125 miles from Houston,approximately 2.5hrs.
For more info on Bastrop: TPWD: Bastrop State Park

We start off in 3 cars around 8am,and its a smooth drive towards Austin. Beautiful weather,45F and sunny. Quite windy,and everything around looks so pretty. My wife & I had decided to take our little dog along,since it had been a while since the fella had a field trip.

On the way from Houston:

Its cold.... zz..zz...

More pics of the drive to the park

It was quite a pleasent drive, until we stopped at a gas station to get some directions. My brother was driving his 2003 Toyota Corolla SE, and he pulled up next to my Mazda 3. We noticed some smoke coming out from under the hood,and I asked him to pull up in front.
We were in for a shock! He had gotten the car serviced 2 days ago,and turns out the bloke who did the oil change,forgot to place the lid back on. Oil had spluttered all over the place,and that was what was causing the smoke.

We thought that the lid had fallen off somewhere,when luckily one of us spotted it at the bottom of the hood. I managed to tap it onto the ground and after an oil refill, we were back on the road.

Approaching the park:

The lake..

A pic of a bee,on the boot of my car..

My friend had a kite with him,and it was fun trying to get the thing to stay in the air with all the trees around.

Leo found something interesting..I guess..

There are quite a few hiking trails though the woods. Its such a good feeling to be in the midst of nature..
After spending a good couple of hours at the park,we decided to drive to Austin, just 40 mins from the park.

The Capitol,Austin Texas.

Leo again..this time in style!

It had been cloudy for the most part,while we were at the park. Though it was around 45F throughout, it felt more like 38F. The only thing missing was some daaru,to stay warm....
Some misc pics..

Overall,it was a nice trip. We had a good time,and we'll probably plan another trip during the Christmas break.

Enjoy..
Old 27th November 2007, 09:05   #2
BHPian

Nice Pics Nitin. When I was in Houston (Dairy Ashford), Even I tried to plan a visit to the State Park, but things didn't work out.

Hope you have already seen San Antonio. Also check out the natural Safari Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch (you can take your vehicle inside) and the Natural Caverns Welcome To Natural Bridge Caverns Texas . Both are adjacent to each other.
Old 28th November 2007, 01:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks,TSEA. I've been to SA couple of times,and I love the caves of Natural bridge..
Will try visiting the Wildlife ranch sometime next year..
Old 28th November 2007, 02:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nitin,

Your dog is awesome!

Also that mcdonals shot is very interesting... i can see it with some sort of tagline as an advertisment... (exposure could be altered a bit though)

cya
R
Old 28th November 2007, 04:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nitin,

Your dog is awesome!

Also that mcdonals shot is very interesting... i can see it with some sort of tagline as an advertisment... (exposure could be altered a bit though)

cya
R

Thanks,R.
The signboard had just McDonalds written under,if I recollect.
My dog's a jack Russell Terrier & Beagle mix. To sum it up.. a strong nose & tonnes of energy!
Old 28th November 2007, 09:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Oh, looked pretty much all beagle to me! Beagles are great dogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The signboard had just McDonalds written under,if I recollect.
You misunderstood what i meant...
I meant that it could be used in an ad like that... some kinda god-like voice talking about the big-M etc etc

cya
R
Old 28th November 2007, 22:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Oh, looked pretty much all beagle to me! Beagles are great dogs...

You misunderstood what i meant...
I meant that it could be used in an ad like that... some kinda god-like voice talking about the big-M etc etc

cya
R
Hehe..sorry about that! I missed the bus..
Yeah..quite true..now that you mentioned it.cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks