Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 11:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Reclaiming Nandi Hills

The Planning

I had planned with some friends for Nandi Hills for saturday but since most of them dropped out, the plan seemed to be cancelled...

...but to revive again on Sunday morning and we all (me, my wife and kid) planned to start at 10 am in the morning on Sunday. Not much of planning, except for the food for my daughter.

Route: Vidhan Soudha -> Mekhri Circle -> hebbal flyover -> Yelahanka Bypass -> Devanahalli and then the unvisible turn to the nandi Hills (just look for overhead high tension cablse and make the first left after devanahalli airport works).

Safari was all fueled up and air checked 2-3 days before, on saturday I had even checked the other oil levels in the engine.

The Drive

The drive was good and we didnt face any traffic since it was sunday morning and the safari brezeed through, although the ECU takes time to learn since I mostly drive in the city, instant pedal presses were greeted by the grunting engine/pump knocking noise but not on the way back, it learned.

Nandi Hills

The view during the climb

The climb is steep to the Nandi hills, sometimes even the 2nd gear wouldnt pull (specially on the curve-climb) but the view is extremely good and we were lucky to find the Sun.

Temple on the top

Cars are allowed to the top with INR60 fee but mostly saw people with picnic bags and big groups, parked the vehicle once on the top and went for the temple, it seems old and made of stone, spent some few minutes clicking, did a small walk, fed the monkeys....

Spending time in a Farmhouse

Nandi Hills in the background on way to farm

...and then decided to head to silveroak farms, I had done some homework on it earlier and thought it would be good to spend some time there (its few minutes drive from nandi hills).

Silveroak Farm

Although I turned up unbooked for lunch, they need atleast 24 hrs notice, but still it was fully booked and we were adjusted, the owners were very warm and hosted us well.

Silk farming on the way

The route to the farm was through the villages and you realize what mess do you live in when you see the simplicity in the villages. There is also an ancient temple to see on the way.

The Owners live there and entertain guest only during the weekends (check their website) and the place is well maintained

View from the Farm

Another View from the parking area
Old 18th December 2007, 11:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

nice ... lot of reclaiming to do dadu?
Where is this farm? and what is it? a farm or resort?
Old 18th December 2007, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great Pics "Dadu" and can you throw some light on this "SilverOak" Farmhouse. Which direction one has to go, as i remember once you get into that nandhi hills stretch and keep driving straight (crossing the railway gate etc) and then take a left towards nandhi hills and again take a right @ the "T" junction to access the ghatty (though not true real ghat road).
Old 18th December 2007, 11:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Click on their website link under the picture for directions/ map to nandi hill etc, its very clear and we reached them without asking/ getting lost on the way.

Its not a resort, but a family owned farmhouse, food is simple (Veg/Non-Veg) and the surroundings are beautiful. Details are present on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Great Pics "Dadu" and can you throw some light on this "SilverOak" Farmhouse. Which direction one has to go, as i remember once you get into that nandhi hills stretch and keep driving straight (crossing the railway gate etc) and then take a left towards nandhi hills and again take a right @ the "T" junction to access the ghatty (though not true real ghat road).
Old 18th December 2007, 14:13   #5
BANNED

Silver Oak Farm, Nandi Hills - Weekend Getaway, Guest House and Homestay near Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Old 18th December 2007, 14:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics dadu, and thanks for the update of this farmhouse, I never heard of this before...It can also be a meeting place for a tbhp meet...

Abhi
Old 18th December 2007, 15:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

[quote=diabloo;661438]Silver Oak Farm, Nandi Hills - Weekend Getaway, Guest House and Homestay near Bangalore

Thanks for the directions diabloo and now i know where it is and also their website has info as dadu had mentioned.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its a good meeting place but cannot park so many cars inside !!!, i would say max 10-12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice pics dadu, and thanks for the update of this farmhouse, I never heard of this before...It can also be a meeting place for a tbhp meet...

Abhi
Old 19th April 2008, 21:15   #9
BHPian

nice pics and good info for a short outing. Went to Nandi Hills last night, though didn't go to the FarmHouse but the well described map helped me get to Nandi Hill without much hassle.

Thanks
Old 20th April 2008, 09:21   #10
BHPian

Its a good information. I was in a mindset that Nandi hills would be a one day visit and no place to stay overnite. The information about silver oak will come handy. I'm planning to visit this place next month.
Old 20th April 2008, 19:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

It is a one day visit only, nothing else to do.

The food at silveraok might not be as expected for most of us, not in terms of quality but for the tastebuds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post
Its a good information. I was in a mindset that Nandi hills would be a one day visit and no place to stay overnite. The information about silver oak will come handy. I'm planning to visit this place next month.
Old 20th April 2008, 21:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It is a one day visit only, nothing else to do.

The food at silveraok might not be as expected for most of us, not in terms of quality but for the tastebuds.
Also I think the place is little expensive to what they offer. Not worthy to that place or environment. Might be OK for corporate parties and team outings. They charge so much as there are no much choices in the vicinity.
It might be my perception!
Old 11th September 2009, 16:38   #13
BHPian

I am planning to trip to Nandi Hills (near Bangalore) in my new Linea this weekend. I have not visited Nandi Hills in last 10 years. Can someone tell me the best route (I stay in Banashankari) and also the condition of the roads? Also what are the good restaurants on the way or at Nandi hills?
Old 11th September 2009, 20:21   #14
BHPian

Great photos. Never visited Nandi hills. Seems to be a great place. Thanks for your elaborated information.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:44   #15
BHPian

Nice t-log. Can the photos be re-sized slightly bigger?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks