Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 01:36   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar Short Trip

Finally I was able to take a highway trip on my 11 month Fiesta Exi on 23th Dec, Sunday. It was short day long trip along with my wife. Thanks to the info I found on TBHP it was easier to get prepared for this trip & also to google maps since I had no idea how to get to the Nagarjunasagar highway.

Getting to Nagarjunasagar:

I had planned to start from home at 9 in the morning but with the usual delays I finally started at 10 AM. Filled up at the Shell station in Yellareddyguda & started out to the highway via secunderabad-tarnaka-uppal road. Surprisingly for a Sunday there was a lot of traffic on the Sbad road due to the auto digital meter mela.
After getting thru all the traffic all the way until uppal, took the LB nagar road & joined the Sagar highway at around 11:15. The highway is very good, sparse traffic & smooth road tops.
The road was tempting but I stayed below just below 100 for the first 40kms since this was my first ride on this baby.
But seeing a long stretch of road I hit the pedal & was going 130-140. There was a little steering wobble at this point which I found surprising considering my Michelin PP had done only 3500kms.
Just after a while, as I was accelerating towards 100 on 4th, a puppy decided to cross the road. I slammed brake doing around 95 & swerved the car towards the right. The car immediatley fish tailed & I after a bit of opposite lock came to a stop on the other side of the road (on coming traffic) amongs a few shrubs. My wife was a bit shaken but I noticed the engine had died. So I got off first to check if the puppy was ok. He was fine & had crossed the road & was staring at me as if saying "what is the fuss all about!?". I stared the car, drove to the other side & inspected it. Nothing except for the dust that got onto the bumpers from the shrubs.

I first patted myself for the tyre decision I had taken. I am not sure how this would have turned out on the MRFs. Also amazing Fiesta brakes & vehicle stability. I know I wasn't doing a very high speed yet this was good enough to seriously injure.
But now the steering wobble started at 90 which I am sure as due to the sudden braking & steering from the earlier incident. Stayed around the 90 mark through most of the trip except while passing 4-5 villages & a bad 10km stretch of road about 50 kms before Sagar.

Reached Sagar at 1:20 PM & checked in to Vijay Vihar room for a lunch & short rest.

The return trip:

Started from Sagar at 3:15 & the highway had even less traffic & was pretty much a cruise & it was easy passing the few vehicles.
I was pretty much on target to reach Hyderabad by 5 but then abt 25 kms before the city, traffic picked up & some really slow set of cars made things irritating. Finally made it to my home at 6 PM instead of the 5:30 I had planned for.

I checked my tyres at home for any damage & there seemed none.
Mileage based on approx. calculation (Total kms city+highway-335kms & fuel gauge showed exactly half - 22.5) was 14.9kms/lt.

I got wheel alignment & balance done yesterday (24th) & the toe in was pretty high on front right which was corrected. I hit a 100 on necklace road & no wobble so far.

Posted some pics below:

Old 26th December 2007, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

good trip there!! don't brake for puppies (unless it's big enough to damage the radiators etc..
where do you stay in secbad? because i see the auto meter fellows daily..how's michellin's tyre noise at high speeds?
Old 26th December 2007, 12:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

nice writeup.
and rightly pointed don't brake for small animals.
try to pass behind them but don't try braking at a high speed.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice report with pictures. I am surprised you checked into a hotel room for a couple of hours stay at Sagar? What was the tariff?

Did you have lunch at punnami hotel which has a fantastic view from the dining/bar area? We were there during the Nsagar tbhp meet
Old 26th December 2007, 16:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

"...Mileage based on approx. calculation (Total kms city+highway-335kms & fuel gauge showed exactly half - 22.5) was 14.9kms/lt..."

Hey theexister, that is not the correct way to guage mileage. I suggest you fillerup to get the correct reading.
Old 26th December 2007, 23:14   #6
BHPian

I had to avoid the puppy since I din't want to kill it. I couldnt pass behind it because he kind of stuttered so I wasn't sure which direction he was going (forward or backward).

I was supposed to check in the previous day but I missed it due to some sudden work. I did not cancel the booking & so decided to check in for the time I was there.

mobike- I did have dinner at the punnami hotel & it does have a fantastic view from dining area.

vnabhi - I should have done that frankly but I completely forgot & remembered only while returning from work on Monday.

I hope I can be there at the next tbhp meet.
Old 27th December 2007, 13:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexister View Post
I hope I can be there at the next tbhp meet.
Block your calendar for the next team-bhp meet which is to Srisailam on Jan 26th, 08. A new thread will come up in meet section early Jan. Look forward to seeing you then.
Old 28th December 2007, 11:52   #8
BHPian

BTW, I stay in Srinagar colony near Ameerpet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks