Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2008, 19:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ah nice one boss! Good to see you went all over the place.

I was on the beach for NYE too. Was not in the mood to take pics this time so dont have too much to post, hopefully I will get around to it soon.
Old 8th January 2008, 21:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
I just wrote my first travelogue on team-bhp ...
Great way to begin buddy, cool pictures. Hope to read more of your trips.
Old 2nd February 2008, 20:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

PART III - Goa-Gokarna-Mangalore-Cannanore-Calicut

Ok, so where did I trail off...ah, Goa it was. Allow me to take it from there...

Day 6: Jan 1 2008

The time just after the New Years bash is usually spent in recovery and rejuvenation. None of that for us. We were up at noon on New Years day, thinking of ways to spend our last day in Goa. Since we had done most of the North stretch of beaches - Candolim-Calangute-Baga-Anjuna-Vagator, we decided to head further north to the new hippie hotspot, Arambol.

Ever so reluctantly, we got our lazy backsides out of bed and crawled into the shower. Arrgghh...had one of those splitting headaches. Five minutes under the cold water and an extra large coffee took most of it away. All set to leave and we cant find Vix. It took a couple of calls before:

Me: Vix, where the &*%$ are you?!
Vix: laughs..getting a head massage.
Me: Cool, shall pick you up on the way then..?
Vix: er..actually I dont think thats possible..I have taken the car.
Me: Ok, we are stepping out for breakfast, join us once you are done.
Vix: cheeky tone well....the masseuse tells me shes going to be a while AND I have to take a shower once I am done cos I am all oily!
Me: Right, see you in Kerala then.

Once we had the car and driver back, we set course for Arambol. Heading North,we could see the change in scenery towards the Maharashtra border. About 10 minutes before Arambol, little shops selling touristy knick-knacks start to appear on both sides. This wasnt a get-away beach any more. Hippies clung to this beach as if they were in sight of Mecca.

[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=505&i=31713383mb6.jpg][

Hit the beach shacks and ate the fresh catch to our hearts content. Decided to climb the hill at the north end of the beach. This place was full of small, cheap rooms for hippies to rent out. Found a quiet spot on top of the hill. Just us and a couple of new-age phoren sadhus basking in the sunset, light breeze in our faces. Ah, the small pleasures of travel.

On our way down, we chanced upon a shack with superb views of the beach. Settled down with some of the local brew to take in the magnificient sunset. Post-dinner, we headed back to Calangute and called it an early night.

Day 7: Jan 2

The time had come to head back. With a heavy heart we stuffed our things into the back of the Swift. Surprising just how much it swallowed considering its size!

The drive out of Goa was a quiet one, almost as if each one of us were leaving home for a far-off land. Thats the impression Goa has left on me, each and every time. This time was no exception. Ash broke us out of our reverie: 'Guys, havent done a single south Goa beach..how about Majorda for lunch?'

And the next thing we know, Jun takes a turn for the beach! Majorda turned out to be next to empty...great. But hey, whats with all these shacks with Russian sign boards and menus?! Picked a nice looking shack and ordered. Looking around, we could see that most of the clientele were Russians. Many of them were the Russian owner's friends too. Realisation dawned upon us that we could be in the esteemed presence of the infamous Red Mafiya

The beach itself is a bit different from those in the North. It was clean, sparsely crowded and the sand was grainy...in a good way. Found a comfy sun lounger for a quick snooze.

On our way back, we were stopped at the Karnataka border. The excise official poked his head in and asked us if we were carrying any liquor. We showed him our permits. He asked us to come into the 'office'. Here, a senior officer scanned the documents and in a sinister tone, pointed out that our destination read daman in all our papers. Dam(a)n! In all our excitement, we had forgotten to tell the liquor shop owner where we were headed to. And I cannot fathom how he came up with 'Daman'?!

We were told to pay a fine of Rs.300/person. Realising that we had to minimise damage, we offered to pay a flat rate of 300 bucks for the whole shipment. Being the fine public servant he is, quietly accepted and send us on our way.

Close to Karwar we came across a VIP convoy. The car at the back had a red sign that read 'Tail'. Quickly dispatched a couple of cars to land up behind the 'Spare' car, an old beat up Contessa with karnataka plates. Next up was the 'VVIP' lancer. I have to say the lead 'Police' vehicle wasnt happy seeing a little white swift making swift work of the lot of them. Bye Bye Bureaucrawl !!

The idea was to drive non-stop to kerala, into the night...till we saw signboards for Gokarna. This would make it easier we thought. The long drive back wasnt doing us any favours. Besides, all of us were secretly hoping the others would want to spend a night in Goks!!

Found a decent room in no time and made for the beach. Night had set in and the trek down to the beach was, well...dark. Out came 4 mobile flash/torches. We walked right to the end of Om beach. Hardly anyone on the beach at this hour. It was dark as a dungeon and a no moon day to go with it.

Saw a few guys camped out on the beach. sOuljah, I had a feeling you might have been there. Thanks again for the tips on Goks mate!

We went into this cozy little shack. Just a few people around. The place had concrete platforms with straw mats to sit on. Hardly lit, we found this place charming! The brightest thing in sight was a standard yellow STD sign hung outside. Only beer we were told. Just fine, we said.

Another bunch had sat themselves around a campfire outside. One of them was strumming to a Dylan tune. That and the soft sound of the waves washing in...and that was it. Nirvana!

We ended with Jun toasting to more good times like these. Amen.

Day 8: Jan 3

Woke early, miraculously. Hit the road after a quick breakfast of idli/vada and filter kaapi. The roads were dilapidated in some stretches. We sought solace in Neil Diamond and U2. Much needed shuteye followed.

Made good progress while we came across a half decent stretch. We screeeched to a halt to take a toilet/tea break at Marvanthe beach. The guy at the stall proudly showed us the solar panel that he had installed. 'Light poora rath chaltha hai sir', he remarked. This green thing is catching on I tell you...

Ash had a severe bout of nostalgia when we neared Mangalore. He had spent a few years here in college. So we stopped at the local Coffee Day to see what the fuss was all about. We were not dissappointed, College town it certainly was!

The roads improved after the Kerala border. Vix made short work of the road till Cannanore. Dropped off Ash and Vix at their place and bade goodbye. Jun despatched the next 70 Km to Calicut in just over an hour. We were home! My mom got the shock of her life when I off loaded the Goan merchandise - sausages, ready to eat packets of all sorts, sunburnt faces, lots of sand filled clothes and what not.

Well, what can I say....4 guys, a swift diesel and 8 days of irresponsible, mind spinning, mad FUN!!

Last edited by MaserQ : 2nd February 2008 at 20:11.
Old 2nd February 2008, 20:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maser - cheers: Thats a brilliant write up !! I could feel the trip in your words !

Quote:
Another bunch had sat themselves around a campfire outside. One of them was strumming to a Dylan tune. That and the soft sound of the waves washing in...and that was it. Nirvana!
And this was the icing on the cake !! ABSOLUTE NIRVANA !!

Goa - here I come !!
Old 2nd February 2008, 20:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dil Chahta Hai !

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd February 2008 at 20:55.
Old 2nd February 2008, 21:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maser Q
Fantastic write up.!!
Many pics remind me of Dil Chahta hai movie..cheers:
Cheers
Old 10th February 2008, 17:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

cheers guys..yes, there is bit more than a little dose of DCH in it. I was still in college when the movie was out and it has and still does define our generation in many ways. Ever since DCH, any group of 3 or more lads travelling to Goa in a car fit that cliche.
Old 10th February 2008, 17:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very good write up man and good pics to support.
Old 10th February 2008, 20:15   #24
BHPian

Amazing Write-Up Mate,So Whens The Offical T-Bhp Goa Meet ?
Old 13th March 2008, 17:02   #25
BHPian

Excellent writeup man. Which place is this?

I remember seeing this place on my way back from GOa, but do not recollect where it is.
Attached Thumbnails
4 guys, a swift diesel and 8 days of unlimited fun on the beach!-swift_goa.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2008 at 22:44. Reason: Excessive dots removed. Please use "attachments" to post pictures & NOT ImageShack.
Old 13th March 2008, 17:25   #26
BHPian

GREAt write up MASERq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Excellent writeup man. Which place is this?
thats "maravanthe beach", sharavathi on one-side, arabian sea on the other.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2008 at 22:49. Reason: Quote edited
Old 13th March 2008, 21:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice one MaserQ

How about writing a thriller ?

Heard this one "Brother Pele's in the back, sweet Zina's in the front
Cruisin' down the freeway in the hot, hot sun"?
Reminded me of this song when I read your travelogue.

Last edited by jkdas : 13th March 2008 at 21:04.
Old 13th March 2008, 21:44   #28
BHPian

Nice Write up dude..good ad for a goa trip...
Old 13th March 2008, 22:06   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, what can I say....4 guys, a swift diesel and 8 days of irresponsible, mind spinning, mad FUN!!
And one wonderfully written travelogue. I have no idea how I missed this, but it was great fun to read. Congratulations!
Old 13th March 2008, 22:13   #30
BHPian

Aah, the pleasures of being an untamed steed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks