Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics BP, What did you do to reduce the size of the pics to upload?

Abhi
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

great travalogue, BP!
as said by other member, especially Shuvd, I envy you mate!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
...Another trip decided in a haste. My colleague Saugata and I were having tea on thursday (20th March)afternoon at our office canteen when we suddenly decided that we could be at Darjeeling this weekend and taste the excellent food at Keventers
sounds like that HP advt. with Narayan and Dhoni! :-)

Quote:
...Luck was on our side we found a decent 5 bed room at only Rs 1000 per day
My God! Luck was sleeping with you mate!!!

Quote:
... Travelling at night with Teesta on the side under the bright moonlight was an experience many tourists may not have cherished in their lifetime, but I can vouch that it has to be seen to be felt.
errmm... sorry for the n00b question, but what is a 'Teesta'?

Great photos, great places. seems like you hit the place at the right time of the year.
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

[quote=HappyWheels;781815]
[quote]

Teesta is a river in North Bengal - IIRC -
Old 4th April 2008, 15:44   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
followed Shuvc's tips. opened the image with ms paint and stretch/skewed it till the size came below 200 Kb/ 500 kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels
great travalogue, BP!
thanks a lot HappyWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels
Teesta is a major river in North Bengal and creates havoc in the rainy season every year.It is a tributary of Bramhaputra River. Teesta is also said to be one of the most beautiful rivers of India. Heres the link to the wikipedia on Teesta -

Teesta River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 5th April 2008, 02:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Pankhabari bypass road saves about 20 kilometers but the road is very narrow and steep full of S and U turns at almost 45-55 degree climb. you save on kilometers but it takes almost the same time on busy months as hillcart road.

Be advised as its not recomended to travel at night on this road. Also if you have little experience on hill driving its a strict no. Also avoid rainy season on this road

What I normally do is travel on usual Hillcart road, near Gayabari I take a shortcut which takes me directly to near Kurseong.

Best months is march-april, sept-nov. If u want to experience snow driving Dec-Feb (if u are
Old 5th April 2008, 12:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
Open image in MSpaint, and stretch / skew to 50. In my case it directly reduces 7-8MB image files to about 100-200 kb's.
Old 6th April 2008, 00:37   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Be advised as its not recomended to travel at night on this road.
@SirAlec - why is it not recomended to travel at night on Pankhabari road? is it due to dacoits?
Old 7th April 2008, 00:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@SirAlec - why is it not recomended to travel at night on Pankhabari road? is it due to dacoits?

Its very narrow and almost throught the road you don't have guard rail. 80% road is 45degree with S and U turns. If u run in to mechanical problem, no help watsoever.

i am visiting in mid May. Will post the detail report with images then.
Old 7th April 2008, 00:48   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its very narrow and almost throught the road you don't have guard rail. 80% road is 45degree with S and U turns. If u run in to mechanical problem, no help watsoever.

i am visiting in mid May. Will post the detail report with images then.
I did this stretch a few days back at night with 5 people on board in an esteem and my personal feeling is that this road is safer at night since the cars coming from opposite (i.e. coming downhill) are warned beforehand that another car is going uphill. At daytime you have to depend on the other driver to hear your horns. Moreover this road is closed to cars going uphill during daytime. However, this is my personal feeling and I may be wrong.
Old 7th April 2008, 01:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I did this stretch a few days back at night with 5 people on board in an esteem and my personal feeling is that this road is safer at night since the cars coming from opposite (i.e. coming downhill) are warned beforehand that another car is going uphill. At daytime you have to depend on the other driver to hear your horns. Moreover this road is closed to cars going uphill during daytime. However, this is my personal feeling and I may be wrong.
no sir u dont honk on every blind turn, that would turn the hills a big cocophony of horn sound.. u stick to side and in case of narrow roads find a wide enough place to let the uphill vehicle pass,or in case u are driving uphill expect the same courtesy. u honk only if somebody does a mistake.

so , if in a habit of honking at every turn in hills, please dont.
Old 7th April 2008, 01:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
no sir u dont honk on every blind turn, that would turn the hills a big cocophony of horn sound.. u stick to side and in case of narrow roads find a wide enough place to let the uphill vehicle pass,or in case u are driving uphill expect the same courtesy. u honk only if somebody does a mistake.

I have driven on the hills for quite some time and I have intently studied the way of the hills . But I dont agree with you entirely, there are certain places where you do have to honk. And I am sure those who have travelled on the Pankhabari road will agree to this. When you are taking a turn that going to raise your height by 10 meters you have to let the person coming down from the other side about your intent and how close you are to take that turn. And if you drive a FWD car you will understand what I am saying. If the other person fails to notice you which he obviously will on the Pankhabari road unless you honk, you have to stp midway while taking the turn and you will not be able pull any further. The RWD drivers have tremendous advantage there. They can afford to lose momentum while taking turns and they will still be able pull their car up. In an FWD its almost impossible to take a 45 degree incline from standstill..
Old 7th April 2008, 01:28   #42
BHPian

@blackpearl i hv driven on pankabari too quite a lot and yet i stick to my point sir...
i think diffrent people different views.btw at all those turns the pankabari road is wide enough to accomodate two small vehicles.

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 7th April 2008 at 01:32.
Old 7th April 2008, 01:37   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@blackpearl i hv driven on pankabari too quite a lot and yet i stick to my point sir...
i think diffrent people different views.btw at all those turns the pankabari road is wide enough to accomodate two small vehicles.
hmmm since your location shows Gangtok, I am sure you are more hill-educated than me . I am sure you are correct and and because of a few uneducated drivers from the plains like me, its getting dangerous on the hills day by day, will try to follow your suggestions... but old habits die hard .
By the way, will PM you the next time I go to Gangtok. We can have a mini Gangtok meet..
Old 7th April 2008, 02:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
no sir u dont honk on every blind turn, that would turn the hills a big cocophony of horn sound..
but what do you when where there are signboards on the walls that you should honk?
Old 7th April 2008, 02:29   #45
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... someone is back amongst some money as I can see. Long drives are back in agenda.

Nice photos bp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks