Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Quick road trip Bangalore - Chennai (no pics)

Went ahead with the trip despite all this trouble over Hogenekal, but chose the Chittoor route which turned out to be good because there was absolutely no trouble, despite driving a KA plated car.

Some observations on the route...

1. The OMR has horrible traffic all the way to Hosepet which is not news to anyone perhaps. But it does move.
2. Near Paraneeru there are some bad stretches but otherwise road is ok. The tolled stretch after joining it near Ranipet is great of course.
3. If like me, you are used to cursing lorry drivers for driving rash, got a shock of my life. All through TN and AP lorries, particularly big ones owned by good companies drive at a steady 50kmph and never ever overtake.
4. So went through the unique experience of cursing lorry drivers going too slow, especially when they travel in convoys of three with no gap between them, making overtaking extremely tough. This is a special problem for one driving a vehicle fit for tractors or road-rollers, like myself. But you cant legally blame them as the speed limit is 50. I sincerely feel lorry drivers will be the best mannered class of drivers (at least in TN) and far far ahead of the so-called educated but arrogant and money-drunk noveau rich scum that cruise our city streets, if they are given a bit more facilities like air-conditioned cabins, enough rest, and less harassment at the checkpoints etc.
5. Advise to fellow members based on personal experience - even if the strech ahead looks clean, because the stretch is undulating, never ever try and overtake a three-vehicle convoy of large trucks. Did that and almost crashed into an oncoming bus, despite all my defensive driving. There was a dip in the street level which made seeing the bus impossible, as I realised later. The cool hands of the bus driver and the lorry drivers saved me. In my panic I went nearly blank but was wise or fortunate enough not to do a steering wheel katakali and confuse them. I also drove on, and did not break hard or full, as it would have left no room for speeding bus driver to stop. Big mistake, thanks to my luck. Lesson learnt.
6. Absolutely no one stopped me at any checkpoint or anywhere for papers, except one copy / RTO guy in Andhra after Chittoor. Guy did not ask for papers, simply wrote down the name in a register, asked me to sign, and asked Rs.50 for that ('Sir, checkpoint formlity sir!'). I did not pay, and he waved me off, perhaps ashamed that he asked.
7. The improvements being made and already made to Chennai roads are very very impressive. Visiting after many years and driving first time there. Bangalore and KA in general should hold heads in shame. The various flyovers, expressways etc., should make Chennai a world class city pretty soon, but for the weather of course. Road markings are much clearer in Chennai, compared to KA where they barely exist, only they are kept at the last possible point, so if you dont know the city, often you will end up in wrong lane before you read the signs.
8. Even the road from Avadi to Poonamalle, even though not wide, has good center median that allows higher speeds and fast access.
9. I heard there is a road being built that will completely encircle the city, allowing acess to the Calcutta road from GSt without going to city.
10. There are lots of flyovers coming up on the GST road in airport vicinity.
Old 7th April 2008, 10:40   #2
BANNED

Good that you had a safe trip.

Quote:
1. The OMR has horrible traffic all the way to Hosepet which is not news to anyone perhaps. But it does move
Would that be Hosakote?

Quote:
2. Near Paraneeru there are some bad stretches but otherwise road is ok. The tolled stretch after joining it near Ranipet is great of course.
And this Palamneru? I hope the mini ghat section is intact.

Quote:
6. Absolutely no one stopped me at any checkpoint or anywhere for papers, except one copy / RTO guy in Andhra after Chittoor. Guy did not ask for papers, simply wrote down the name in a register, asked me to sign, and asked Rs.50 for that ('Sir, checkpoint formlity sir!'). I did not pay, and he waved me off, perhaps ashamed that he asked
That's surprising. When you enter AP from KA, normally the checkpost before Palamneru is where the checkpost guard jumps in front of your car.
I have never been stopped though at any of the checkposts on this route.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice one Traxter.

Glad that you got out of the tight spot without any issues. The attitude of truck / bus drivers is always a shocker, they just get a sadistic pleasure in giving these close shaves to smaller vehicles.

And am surprised that you were waived off when you refused to pay up; they usually demand it.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:36   #4
BHPian

Sorry about the spelling errors in the town names. Hrag is correct.

Cant exactly remember where the check post was - it was in Andhra, before Palamaner after Chitoor. This happened on the return trip to Bangalore. There is one spot where commercial vehicles are supposed to take a diversion to another road, rest can proceed straight. The cop / RTO guy / Tax guy could not say what, stopped me just a few hundred meters into that straight path. There is a small hut with one clerk/writer and one cop only. Regular travelers may remember the place. I think it is meant to catch commercial vehicles skipping the diversion.

At another place a couple of cops stopped and hitched a 10km ride with me. Was glad to offer that because I was riding alone and they will checkpost-proof my vehicle :-).

There is a nice hotel just after Palamaner called Pavithra Green which has a few cottages for overnight stay if you want to avoid night driving. Decent acco. for low price. Peaceful enough to be a holiday spot too.

Reliance A1 and Kamat are two good spots for lunch / tea breaks. There are numerous others whistling you to stop in AP.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxter View Post
1. The OMR has horrible traffic all the way to Hosepet which is not news to anyone perhaps. But it does move.
Yes, it is mad traffic till you cross Hoskote junction. After that it is deserted and smooth.

Quote:
That is Palamner.

Quote:
3. If like me, you are used to cursing lorry drivers for driving rash, got a shock of my life. All through TN and AP lorries, particularly big ones owned by good companies drive at a steady 50kmph and never ever overtake.
Yes, long distance lorry drivers are excellent and maintain their rules. I experienced that during my Kolkata trip.

Quote:
6. Absolutely no one stopped me at any checkpoint or anywhere for papers, except one copy / RTO guy in Andhra after Chittoor. Guy did not ask for papers, simply wrote down the name in a register, asked me to sign, and asked Rs.50 for that ('Sir, checkpoint formlity sir!'). I did not pay, and he waved me off, perhaps ashamed that he asked.
That is common, during my Kolkata trip, he stopped me (rather jumped infront of me. took down in register and asked for Rs20. I shouted at him and went by.

Abhi
Old 7th April 2008, 15:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes shameless guys. The "procedure / formality" I too faced in this checkpost like 6 or 7 months back. I took out a 10rs note from wallet. THen I realised that it was 2 10rs one inside other and was trying to take one. Man, that the highlight, the guy almost plucked both the note from my hand with a "pleasant" smile. Where I am living?
Old 7th April 2008, 18:04   #7
BHPian

Good that you had a safe trip. No intend to hijack your thread. But I totally agree with you on this

Quote:
But you cant legally blame them as the speed limit is 50. I sincerely feel lorry drivers will be the best mannered class of drivers (at least in TN) and far far ahead of the so-called educated but arrogant and money-drunk noveau rich scum that cruise our city streets, if they are given a bit more facilities like air-conditioned cabins, enough rest, and less harassment at the checkpoints etc.
The bus and truck drivers are the least appreciated drivers. Think about this - they dont have power steering/ ABS. They dont have big rear view mirrors. No one understands the concept of blind spots - larger for big vehicles.

And we always blame them for rash driving.
Old 7th April 2008, 19:41   #8
BANNED

The lorries are frequently owner driven and leased out / under "contract" with big transport companies. So, do not be taken by a truck sporting "XYZ logistics". It probably owned by Buntu SIngh or Palaniappan, and often driven by the owners themselves. Saying all this (to probably) explain why they go at a steady pace. 40 - 50 KMPH is where a laden truck gives the maximum FE, minimum wear and tear and a comfortable braking distance in case of emergency.

What beats me is, why don't they keep distance between themselves when they go in convoys of 2 or 3?
Old 7th April 2008, 19:56   #9
BHPian

thanks Traxter for putting out a ncie review - I too got stopped near Chitoor, but no 50Rs asked.

Did anyone tryout the Hosur road route and how would one compare that with OMR?

Cheers,
Old 7th April 2008, 21:06   #10
BHPian

Actually the space between the lorry's in a convoy (I dont think it is intentional, just the way they tend to go together because of stops/checks) is just about enough for braking but risky for someone to squeeze in if forced back into lane because of abandoned overtaking.

By rights on such roads overtaking should be prohibited or only allowed in special sections where they have extra lanes, like in Australia. But then who follows these rules!

Another trouble in overtaking is if a better skilled driver of a lorry or bus manages to overtake successfully ahead of you, does not mean you can simply follow him and manage to do that. Because he will quickly get into lane and you will find no space left...

All in all, overtaking is too dangerous in our usual roads unless you can see for a half-mile ahead.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
thanks Traxter for putting out a ncie review - I too got stopped near Chitoor, but no 50Rs asked.

Did anyone tryout the Hosur road route and how would one compare that with OMR?

Cheers,
I have travelled on the Bangalore Chittoor road in March 2008 for a colleagues marriage at Chittoor. Before reaching Chittoor, at the checkpost a policeman stopped us and asked for toll. I asked how much and he says your wish!! Paid 20 and moved on.

Regarding the route - The road is double laned with two way traffic and no median in between. Road surface is good except some patches. You can maintain 60-80 comfortably and at some stretches even more. But felt traffic is a bit high - may be because of the on coming vehicles and trucks. We started from Bangalore-Krishnarajapuram by 2.30PM. Reached Chittoor (170Km) by 7.00PM.

Bangalore(0Km)-Hosekote(26km)-Kolar(64km)-Palmaner(133)-Chittoor(172).

On return to Bangalore, since I was sceptical about this road, I decided to come back via Vellore through the NH 46, Chennai Krishnagiri 4 lane highway. From Chittoor it is 30 km (1 hour) to Vellore from where you can join NH46. I normally take this route while driving to Chennai. From Vellore it is 117Km to Krishnagiri and a further 87 Km for Krishnagiri to Bangalore, Which is about 60 km more, but was faster. Vellore Krishangiri takes around 1 hour 15 minutes and Krishnagiri Hosur around an Hour. And ofcourse the roads are good.

If you were to continue on from Chittoor to Chennai, then the route is to come to Ranipet instead of vellore to get NH46. Roughly 310 Km to chennai through OMR.

Bangalore(0Km)-Hosekote(26km)-Kolar(64km)-Palmaner(133)-Chittoor(172)-Ranipet(206)-Kachipuram (246)-Chennai(306)

My normal and preffered route is

Bangalore(0Km)-Hosur(35Km)-krishnagiri(86Km)-vellore(203kM)-Ranipet(228kM)-Kachipuram(268kM)- Chennai(328kM).

This route is faster and because of 4 lanes less tension. I have once in September 2007 covered this distance in 3.5 hours in my Civic. I had touched my max speed of 192kmph then, constant 150 -170kmph, though not tried the same after that. We started from Bommanahalli Shell petrol pump by 2.30 PM and reached Chennai outskirts by 6.00PM. My recent visits to Chennai via this road normally takes 4.5 to 5 hours.
Old 20th September 2008, 00:17   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Before reaching Chittoor, at the checkpost a policeman stopped us and asked for toll. I asked how much and he says your wish!! Paid 20 and moved on.
I drove from Bangalore to Madras via NH4 (my preferred route) on Ganesh Chathurthi day (September 3rd). For the first time in 12 years, I stopped at the checkpost before Palamner. Was asked where I was going - I said Madras. And was asked to proceed after the guard "inspected" the car through the rear window. Nobody asked me for any money. The checkpost guards have always jumped in front of my car earlier but I have always gestured questioningly and continued. This time, I stopped out of curiosity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks