Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 22:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Day trip: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Mysore Zoo - Brindavan Garden and back

Since my plan to Horandu (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...adu-route.html) was shot down, needed to do something for the family who were all geared up for a travel.

So what best than our friendly neighborhood, Mysore!

Started from home at 08:15. Tanked up on an HP bunk after Ramanagar.

Reached Srirangapatna at around 10am. Same old place. Nothing new to write about. One surprising fact was that I paid only 10rs for entrace (2 adults and still camera). This seems to be the lowest entrance fare that I have come across. And also, no parking ticket!

Coming out of the summer palace, take a turn left and head straight down to Sangam. The road forks out and took the road leading to the right. There are well placed sign boards, so all the better. Paid 20rs at the toll booth. Since we were one of the first few people, got a parking spot very close to the place. Walked down to the river and found that it is also a place where people are coming down to do the last rites of the deceased. We did not go down to the water due to the fact that the water was very dirty; but the water further upstream was clean, but did not find any way to go down there.

Got back to the Mysore highway and started the look out for a stop over for lunch. Stopped at Mangalore Seafood (which is on the other side of the road, namely the Mysore-Bangalore section).

The place and food was good. For those who are not driving and who want to get a bit of 'spirit' in them, there are cabin available for 'drinking & eating'.

Reached Mysore and found that the sign boards are not present in any of the major intersections. All the places said 'Zoo straight down (arrow)', but reach a intersection with not-so-straight roads, you will find no sign board. But did reach the place due to friendly traffic policemen, who were present there. I parked my car a few meters after the Zoo's main gate. There were 'No parking' written all over, but there were cars dotting the entire stretch. Went a little further ahead and parked beside the stretch of wall which didnt have this 'No parking' written on it. (Didn't want to come back and find my car towed away!)

(But noticed an open car park are which is right in front of the zoo, when coming out of the park!!! The least they could have done is place a sign board or something for people to know!)

Tickets - 25Rs per adult and 10rs for still camera.
Day trip: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Mysore Zoo - Brindavan Garden and back-100_1744.jpg
Got out of the zoo, after 2.5 hrs of getting into it, and headed down to the car (it was still there). Sat there for 10minutes with the AC on. Then was of two mind - go back to Bangalore or to Brindavan garden.

Off we started of to the garden. We were again back to asking and going mode. No proper sign boards worth mentioning! But since it was a well known place, guess anyone over there should be able to help you. We asked only to PC's that we found at a junction. They were more than willing to direct you.

Reached the garden at 16.30. Parking area was almost empty. Walked around the parking area, had tea and some vada's and then proceeded to the garden entrance.

Tickets - 15rs for adults, 5rs for childrens below 7(!!!) and 50rs for still camera(!!!!!) (this i feel is way too high - people will just end up taking their phone instead of still camera's! FOC)

First thing we did was go for the boat ride. 10rs per head. (7rs for drop, which starts after 5.30, 5.45pm)
Day trip: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Mysore Zoo - Brindavan Garden and back-100_1762.jpg
After the boat ride, had few eatables and then walked to the garden. The garden, as always, was great. Since we were early for the fountain show, we sat at the park and let the small one run around. There were many other kids of the same age, so all of them had some fun together. This was good since the fresh air did a whole dam good to me. Helped in getting re-freshed up!

Fountain show started at 7, watched till 7.20 and then decided to head back before the crowd started their journey back. Came back to the car parking and got the shock!

Since I was an early bird, I parked close to the boundary of the parking area, the first line. There was a second line right in front of us, thereby making it impossible for anyone from the first line to take their vehicle without the second line moving! There was absolutely no way!!!

30 minutes later, the guy comes, moves and we are on our way back home.

Not sure on how many of you know this route - but while coming back I followed a cab, which I was sure was heading to Bangalore. This person did not take the right, which leads to Mysore, but went straight ahead. Since there were few other cabs, I just followed them. The road goes straight down, absolutely no traffic and finally gets into Mysore-Bangalore road just before Srirangapatna! Was I happy or what! :-)

For dinner we got into Indra Danush (the hotel in the same compound as CCD, on the Mysore-Bangalore side). The food, to say, was HOPELESS! Do not know if any one had a good experience here, but mine was horrible!!! They had only iddly, pongal and chappti. Had chappatti and left.

Reached home at 10.30, safe and sound! :-)

Some sore points during the drive:

- placing of barricade by our friendly police near U-turns, in such a way that the vehicles are all pushed to the right track near the u-turn. This forces vehicles to slow down to very low speed when negotiating the barricade else risk hitting a vehicle waiting on the u-turn.

- some smart alec has placed barricades right near the over head signs! Now how do they expect the drive to negotiate the barricade and also read the sign!!!

- people driving in the middle of the road, right above the road marking, and not moving to the left even on noticing a vehicle behind them. till you honk, you do not exist! GOD!!!!

- people coming on the wrong side of the road to take u-turns
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2008, 23:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue.

I had travelled in the shortcut which reaches the highway before Srirangapatna with my friend. I found it narrow, but less crowdy than the mysore road.
Old 7th April 2008, 08:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup but my personal experience with Indradhanush has been excellent. Had lunch / dinner many times and liked the food very much.

I know KRS to bangalore doesnt require you go to Mysore. It is a very common route to go to Coorg from bangalore.
From KRS, you reach Hunsur-Srirangapatnam road in 5km (there is a big Hertiage Shelters Restaurant). Take left in another 10km you will hit Mysore Road 2km before Srirangapatnam via Ranganathithu Bird Sanctuary.

Abhi
Old 7th April 2008, 09:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up happywheel. Yeah, these are the morons on the road who do not understand the lane discipline. I think these are the villagers and will care a damn to the persons driving on the road. I felt many times to stop and bash up these guys black and blue. But controlled my anger.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
... I found it narrow, but less crowdy than the mysore road.
At 7.45pm, the traffic was mostly towards Bangalore; but for the roads being narrow, I feel they are the standard width of most village roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice writeup but my personal experience with Indradhanush has been excellent. Had lunch / dinner many times and liked the food very much...
Maybe they were not well planned for the rush or they close early? I did go there expecting a good platter. Seems like that was the same with all that came there, most people came, heard the menu and then left.

Quote:
...I know KRS to bangalore doesnt require you go to Mysore. It is a very common route to go to Coorg from bangalore.
From KRS, you reach Hunsur-Srirangapatnam road in 5km (there is a big Hertiage Shelters Restaurant). Take left in another 10km you will hit Mysore Road 2km before Srirangapatnam via Ranganathithu Bird Sanctuary...
I have not taken this route and hence this came as a pleasant surprise. The direction that you are giving are spot on! And to tell the truth, it was only when we passed the Ranganathitu Bird sanctuary did I sign in relief that we are in the right direction.
Old 7th April 2008, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Nice writeup but my personal experience with Indradhanush has been excellent. Had lunch / dinner many times and liked the food very much.

I know KRS to bangalore doesnt require you go to Mysore. It is a very common route to go to Coorg from bangalore.
From KRS, you reach Hunsur-Srirangapatnam road in 5km (there is a big Hertiage Shelters Restaurant). Take left in another 10km you will hit Mysore Road 2km before Srirangapatnam via Ranganathithu Bird Sanctuary.

Abhi
There are some Volvo buses on Mangalore-Madikeri-Bangalore that do not go to Mysore. They ask passengers to get off at Yelwal and dont know where they turn and head to Srirangapatna direct.

Indradanush was bad for me too. I stick to Kamat on that route.
Old 8th April 2008, 15:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice short trip, but an overnight stay would have been most comfortable
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:25   #8
BANNED

Re: Day trip: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Mysore Zoo - Brindavan Garden and back

Bumping up an old thread, for I do not want to create a new one for my question is similar.

Planning on visiting the Mysore zoo next week and since we have seen all other popular tourist places near Mysore(Srirangapatna, brindhavan gardens, rangantittu, palace), I am looking for options on what else to see near by. This will be a day trip and hence not looking at too many places either, just one more along with the zoo. The trip is primarily for my son and since we are going all the way till there, thought we would combine one other place as well. TIA.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Day trip: Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Mysore Zoo - Brindavan Garden and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Bumping up an old thread, for I do not want to create a new one for my question is similar.

Planning on visiting the Mysore zoo next week and since we have seen all other popular tourist places near Mysore(Srirangapatna, brindhavan gardens, rangantittu, palace), I am looking for options on what else to see near by. This will be a day trip and hence not looking at too many places either, just one more along with the zoo. The trip is primarily for my son and since we are going all the way till there, thought we would combine one other place as well. TIA.
Karanji Lake is right next to the Zoo and has a beautiful aviary (huge metal cage with birds, they will be flying right next to you inside.) as well as a butterfly park and a chance to do some paddle boating.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 08:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

If you are a rail fan, there is a nice small rail museum on KRS road. You can visit that too.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:25   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are a rail fan, there is a nice small rail museum on KRS road. You can visit that too.
Thanks Ampere, Can you give me the exact location of this museum? Along with what Sunnyboi has quoted, this one also seems to be a good place to visit and one which I have not gone to before.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Thanks Ampere, Can you give me the exact location of this museum? Along with what Sunnyboi has quoted, this one also seems to be a good place to visit and one which I have not gone to before.
Once at Mysore railway station entrance head out to KRS road exit. Its hardly a few 100 m. Here is the location
Old 28th August 2020, 11:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up a very old thread, not sure where else to post this. Would anyone be able to confirm if Mysore Zoo and Ranganathittu Bird Santuary are open and functioning for visitors now?
Old 12th September 2020, 22:37   #14
BHPian

Hi, Mysore Zoo is open and functioning. Not sure about Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary though..
Old 13th September 2020, 17:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Bumping up a very old thread, not sure where else to post this. Would anyone be able to confirm if Mysore Zoo and Ranganathittu Bird Santuary are open and functioning for visitors now?
Try calling the following numbers that I could locate:
094350 15419, 0821 248 1159 for Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks