Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2008, 09:49   #1
BHPian

Traveloges- Bangalore- Kollur- Sringeri- Bangalore

Hi I am a new member to this community but thought to share some travel experiences with the spirit of joining this forum
Vehicle Tata Dicor 2.2 LX
Day 1 Left Bangalore at 530am route taken Tumkur (take diversion to city) there are some tricky dead ends keep right and follow the road to city which connects to Arsikere NH 208. First pit stop at Kadur Reliance petrol bunk yes I am a paranoid traveller and always seeks better wash rooms, reliance seems to be good in maintanence. Roads are very well done..during my previous trip to Mangalore on the same route ~ 20km had back breaking potholes but all seemed to be tarred on.
From Hassan took a diversion to Kudajadri ghat route, bit of a tough ghat section with very narrow roads and tight turn..this vehicle was a beauty to handle in ghat section. Reach Kollur at 2pm. Total distance covered ~400km

Day2 to stop over at Kollur- Stayed at the Temple Guest house A/C room costed 600bucks with TV (surprised) with no TV, 450bucks.

Day3 Leave Kollur to Sringeri via Agumbe. Agumbe ghats much more tricky as only smalls cars and jeeps take this route. Heavy Vehicles are banned. 4pm Condition on roads excellent reached destination at 630pm. Overnight stay at Sringeri. Need to be very smart in getting an accomodation. Condition average.

Day4 back home to Bangalore left at 9am. Break fast at a brahmin residence, dont miss these small good foodie outlets at Sringeri. Decided to try a new route Chickmaglur (at junction take a right before entering city), Belur, Halibed..one of the best roads I have ever driven considering that I am an out and out traveller for drive aways. Lunch at 130am found a good road side Dhaba. Back in Banglaore at 330pm.

Now a bit about my Dicor, picked from Concorde during the month of December 07 distance covered 8900km
Trips covered- Bangalore - Coorg Twice will post details shortly
Bangalore Baroda Ahmedabad will post details shortly as this is a big one to write
Bangalore Calicut will post details shortly
Riding comfort excellent
Small niggling issues like in frequent service light indicator glowing
Door beading not fixing properly
Steering control towards right

Happy reading !
Old 18th April 2008, 10:37   #2
BHPian

Post some pics so that it can do the talking.

Also eager to see your other posts as well.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Little confused about the route from Bangalore to Kollur. Did you go via Shimoga or Belur ? Bcoz you mentioned Hassan and Tumkur ...
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Little confused about the route from Bangalore to Kollur. Did you go via Shimoga or Belur ? Bcoz you mentioned Hassan and Tumkur ...
I have the same question.

You have mentioned Bangalore -> Tumkur->Kadur and then jump to Hassan.. What was your exact route to Kollur?
Old 24th April 2008, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Kalsu,
Can you give us some more details about Bangalore-Kollur driving direction? Is this via Shimoga?
From where exactly we have to take diversion to Kudajadri Ghats and how about overall road condition between Bangalore - Kollur? Any very bad stretches?
Planning to take a drive on May sometime.
Old 25th April 2008, 13:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Kavu, firstly its "Kodachadri"

B,lore - Shimoga - Sagara - Hosanagara - Kodachadri - Kollur
Old 25th April 2008, 14:30   #7
BHPian

Thanks dude.
Do we need to go up to Sagara and then turn to Hosanagara?
How about this route, i found in wikimapia, Shimoga - Anandapuram - Hosanagara?
How far is Hosanagara - Kodachadri - Kollur?
Old 25th April 2008, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey.. you dont have to, can go via anandapura... it should be around 100kms...
Old 4th May 2008, 11:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
I have the same question.

You have mentioned Bangalore -> Tumkur->Kadur and then jump to Hassan.. What was your exact route to Kollur?
yes the travel route is correct since I can back via Sringeris which would touch the Mangalore route via sakleshpur meeting at Hassan. Roads are excellent, wonder why our own Benagaluru doesnt have such roads.
kollur- agumbe- sringeri- chickmagalur- belur- halebid- hassan- bangalore.

I generally like to try two different routes on road trips bit of hit and miss equation...
Old 17th July 2009, 11:29   #10
BHPian

Hi Been on the route again last weekend- bangalore-kollur-bangalore/ 12July 2009

Route taken bangalore shimoga aiyannur kudachadri ghats. total travel time 10hours. during my last visit there where a lot of bridges under construction all these have been cleared in motorable conditions, kudachadri ghat is a bit narrow and lot of land slides, but dont miss to see the water streams.

Return by kollur siddapur shimoga bangalore. total drive time 11hours..ghat section 15km poor to worse to no roads...lucky me in TATA Safari 2.2. Left kollur at 1pm reached shimoga at 630pm bangalore ~1130pm

Happy motoring!

Updated- Bangalore kollur Bangalore

onward- bangalore shimoga aiyannur take left kodachadri ghat kollur travel time 10hours- road condition motorable
return kollur sidapur shimoga bangalore- ghat section roads are horrendous drive time 11hours
Vehicle TATA Safari 2.2
Cost of trip for 6 of us ~2500
Stay at Lalithambika temple trust hotel a/c accomodation Rs.600/- first come first serve no reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Kalsu,
Can you give us some more details about Bangalore-Kollur driving direction? Is this via Shimoga?
From where exactly we have to take diversion to Kudajadri Ghats and how about overall road condition between Bangalore - Kollur? Any very bad stretches?
Planning to take a drive on May sometime.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th July 2009 at 11:38. Reason: Please use multi quotes option. Back to back posts. Thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 19:23   #11
BHPian

Back in same route- Bangalore Kollur Bangalore

Drove down to kollur just before the onset on monsoon. Drive took around 12hours not to tell a bit of frustration that went through with Tata Safari and not the mistake of vehilce but some quality issue in service. Something called the anti rollbar clipped off from the vehilce which was serviced one week before from Concorde. Luckly got the same repaired in Shimoga. for experts is this a critical issue, the work shop guys seems to give no much relevance for the same.

Back to the trip, left around 6am took the NICE road..be ultra cautious in the Pune road due to heavy construction activities. Drove via Shimoga reached Shimoga ~1145am. took kodachadri ghats while going and return came via anadpuram shimoga route. on both sides ~30km stretch is very bad but manageble. Left Kollur at 10am reached kundapura dropped my parents and drove down to Shimoga. Reached bangalore at 10pm. Again 2hr jam near Peenya and before NICE diversion. Wonder what time is good to pass by that route.

any one tried the route via mysore chickmangalur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsu View Post
Hi Been on the route again last weekend- bangalore-kollur-bangalore/ 12July 2009

Route taken bangalore shimoga aiyannur kudachadri ghats. total travel time 10hours. during my last visit there where a lot of bridges under construction all these have been cleared in motorable conditions, kudachadri ghat is a bit narrow and lot of land slides, but dont miss to see the water streams.

Return by kollur siddapur shimoga bangalore. total drive time 11hours..ghat section 15km poor to worse to no roads...lucky me in TATA Safari 2.2. Left kollur at 1pm reached shimoga at 630pm bangalore ~1130pm

Happy motoring!

Updated- Bangalore kollur Bangalore

onward- bangalore shimoga aiyannur take left kodachadri ghat kollur travel time 10hours- road condition motorable
return kollur sidapur shimoga bangalore- ghat section roads are horrendous drive time 11hours
Vehicle TATA Safari 2.2
Cost of trip for 6 of us ~2500
Stay at Lalithambika temple trust hotel a/c accomodation Rs.600/- first come first serve no reservations
Old 15th May 2011, 10:27   #12
BHPian

Re: Traveloges- Bangalore- Kollur- Sringeri- Bangalore

Planning to drive from Kollur to Sringeri via Agumbe on 27th May. Anyone who has done this stretch recently and can advice on Road conditions, hours required to reach Sringeri. I am driving a Toyota Innova and travelling with elders and kids - so driving will be sedate. Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 08:56   #13

Re: Traveloges- Bangalore- Kollur- Sringeri- Bangalore

Planning to drive from Bangalore - Dharamstala - Kateel - Horanadu - Sringeri - Bangalore with family. Please advice on road conditions. Some news paper reported road-work and heavy rains in these areas. Please comment .

Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 09:15   #14
BHPian

Re: Back in same route- Bangalore Kollur Bangalore

folks planning to drive down to kollur this weekend..any advice on road conditions. read a paper report that all taxis are off road to mangalore coast road..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsu View Post
Drove down to kollur just before the onset on monsoon. Drive took around 12hours not to tell a bit of frustration that went through with Tata Safari and not the mistake of vehilce but some quality issue in service. Something called the anti rollbar clipped off from the vehilce which was serviced one week before from Concorde. Luckly got the same repaired in Shimoga. for experts is this a critical issue, the work shop guys seems to give no much relevance for the same.

Back to the trip, left around 6am took the NICE road..be ultra cautious in the Pune road due to heavy construction activities. Drove via Shimoga reached Shimoga ~1145am. took kodachadri ghats while going and return came via anadpuram shimoga route. on both sides ~30km stretch is very bad but manageble. Left Kollur at 10am reached kundapura dropped my parents and drove down to Shimoga. Reached bangalore at 10pm. Again 2hr jam near Peenya and before NICE diversion. Wonder what time is good to pass by that route.

any one tried the route via mysore chickmangalur?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks