Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 12:57   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Hi Rudrah,

Thanks for the appreciation.

I have already explained all the processes and procedures involved in getting a visa to Bhutan, in great detail. Please read my first two posts at the beginning of this travelouge.

I went to Bhutan without any help from travel agents. I got all the information from the Ministry of Tourism in Bhutan. Indians are allowed to travel freely. There are absolutely no restrictions.

You can plan for a 7 day trip to Bhutan. 2 days in Thimpu, 2 days in Paro, 2 days in Punakha and 1 day spare. There are local taxis and mini buses available to travel between cities. Cost is similar to India. Hotel tariffs start at 450 Ngultrum and can be as costly as 2500 Ngultrum.
Hey thanks 4 the reply...

So in the end what was the total expenditure on this tour? Coz I might have to save some from now on

Actually wanted to knw ur prior planning n preparation when you decided to travel alone with ur wife for Bhutan so we can also get an idea how to go abt it...its a tough task in all to go alone esp when you are with ur family and tht too in a different country!

I did take a note from ur 1st post thanks...

Cheers~
Old 20th May 2008, 16:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Hey thanks 4 the reply...

So in the end what was the total expenditure on this tour? Coz I might have to save some from now on

Actually wanted to knw ur prior planning n preparation when you decided to travel alone with ur wife for Bhutan so we can also get an idea how to go abt it...its a tough task in all to go alone esp when you are with ur family and tht too in a different country!

I did take a note from ur 1st post thanks...

Cheers~
Hi Rudrah,

I cannot disclose the total figure! I am scared of the IT dept!!!

Some tips I can share are:
1. Carry your Passport and lots of photocopies of the same
2. Carry atleast 12 passport size colour photos
3. ATMs are not available in Bhutan. Carry lots of cash. Divide cash into 4 or 5 parts and stash it into different luggages.
4. Always carry a pocket knife ( I had a very big one!!!)
5. Carry loads of woolens and 2 good wind cheaters
6. Carry at least 4 strips/ 2 bottles of all necessary medicines. There are not many medical shops in Bhutan.
7. Carry lots of extra battery cells and universal adaptor for plug points
8. As far as possible, do not wear Gold
9. Carry mosquito repellants
10. Carry extra film rolls/ memory cards
11. Carry medicines for motion sickness and vomitting. There are a 1000 hairpin curves en-route to Thimpu!
12. Alchohol is cheap, so if possible, avoid drinking water!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 20th May 2008 at 16:07.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:57   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevy_lover, you ought to be banned from this forum for enticing, invoking jealousy, feeling miserable, frustrated, cursing self,driving people to spend more money etc. I don't know about others but, i am going through these feelings

Kudos to you for such an entertaining travelogue and such lovely and never seen before pictures of Bhutan. I urge you to continue posting your entire photo bank of this amazing trip.
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Chevy_lover, you ought to be banned from this forum for enticing, invoking jealousy, feeling miserable, frustrated, cursing self,driving people to spend more money etc. I don't know about others but, i am going through these feelings

Kudos to you for such an entertaining travelogue and such lovely and never seen before pictures of Bhutan. I urge you to continue posting your entire photo bank of this amazing trip.
Thanks for the lovely comments Buddy. But please don't ban me!!! I am too addicted to Team BHP!!!

My next post will be having the most amazing pics ever captured on film! Trust me! My pics will take your breath away! Very few people have been fortunate enough to see something like that!

Keep a watch on this thread!!!
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:57   #95
Senior - BHPian

Aw come on Chevy Lover. Don't keep us waiting!!
Old 24th May 2008, 13:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Goodbye Bhutan!!!

Day 8;

We had a wonderful time in Paro! We visited all places of interest and enjoyed to the maximum!

We finally decided to carry on with our journey to Kalimpong and Darjeeling. We booked a taxi from Paro city to Phuentsholing. We knew that we would miss Paro for a long time to come!!!

The journey was really amazing and we enjoyed it to the full. We stopped by the same restaurant where had stopped, when we went first to Thimpu. We had delicious Ema Datchi and Carlsberg beer. Everything about that restaurant is good.

After our lunch, we continued our journey.

By evening, we came across one of the most amazing scenes, I have ever witnessed. We were descending from a huge mountain and we saw that the whole valley was covered in fog! It was a one in ten million chance and I clicked a whole roll of film.

The mountain was about 15,000 feet high! The whole area looked like heaven!!!

I name the photos "A walk in the coluds" after my favourite movie!!!

Our driver, who had been driving in the same route for the past 12 years, had never seen anything like this!!!

I will let the photos do the talking!!!

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Have you seen a view like this???
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds12.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-9.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-10.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-11.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-13.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-4.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-5.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-6.jpg  

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 24th May 2008 at 13:14.
Old 24th May 2008, 13:17   #97
BHPian

Amazing stuff

Reminds me of the view from top of Mt Fuji in Japan. Thats the only time I walked on the clouds.
cheers:
Old 24th May 2008, 13:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

O, the wonders of Adobe Photoshop!!
Old 24th May 2008, 13:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

A walk in the clouds!!!

Some more photos of the amazing view!!!

These photos were taken after adjusting the EV settings in my professional camera!!!

There is absolutely no work of software involved!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-3.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-4.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-7.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-walk-clouds-8.jpg  

Old 24th May 2008, 13:56   #100
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Report / Photos

Hai Chevy Lover,

What a photologue, Amazing and great report. The cloud pictures truly captures the Bhutan mood beautifully.

What about car hire there, is it possible to hire and drive yourself?

Pl. keep them coming and keep travelling

--Ramky
========
Old 24th May 2008, 14:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Chevy Lover,

What a photologue, Amazing and great report. The cloud pictures truly captures the Bhutan mood beautifully.

What about car hire there, is it possible to hire and drive yourself?

Pl. keep them coming and keep travelling

--Ramky
========
Thanks a lot for the comments, Ramky! These photos are of a fog covered valley! They are not of clouds!!!

When I visited Bhutan, there was no option of hiring cars for self driving. Even if it is available, I would advise you not to do it! The roads are too dangerous and un-predictable!
Old 24th May 2008, 17:36   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These photos are of a fog covered valley! They are not of clouds!!!
Well these are spectacular photos, and yes it can be the subject of a healthy debate whether that is fog or cloud.
For most practical purposes, if this fog was GENERATED because of ground moisture from the floor up, it would be called fog. However, if it FORMED above the surface and is lingering there or has descended to a lower altitude, it would be called cloud.
The two terms can be used interchangeably, because it is the formation procedure that strictly defines which is what. And that, to most of us, does not really matter.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2008, 00:04   #103
BHPian

Truly fascinating write up Chevy_Lover. I had heard of Bhutanese, highly valuing their happiness-quotient in life. Amazed at the claeanliness-quotient too in their cities. Love to see more of these travelogues
Old 25th May 2008, 15:36   #104
Senior - BHPian

This is an excellent travelogue Chevy_lover. I would rate it as an article that can be published in a Newspaper or a magazine.

couple of questions -

1. Do we get good vegi food ?
2. Did you explore/research on conducted tours available to Bhutan? Has there been any experience in this forum where people have taken conducted tours?
Old 26th May 2008, 00:07   #105
Senior - BHPian

A Guide + Car?

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the comments, Ramky! These photos are of a fog covered valley! They are not of clouds!!!

When I visited Bhutan, there was no option of hiring cars for self driving. Even if it is available, I would advise you not to do it! The roads are too dangerous and un-predictable!
Maybe one can hire a guide & hire a car, driving those twisties would be one hell of an experience.

Are reliable guides available there?

--Ramky
---------

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks