Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2008, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls

I was looking for a drive to Hogenekkal for almost 2 years and it just got materialized. But the trip turned out to be one of the worst nightmare. I never drive / like to drive in night but ended up so, that too in the heavy rains. Ok, get in to details.

We started from home at 7:50AM on 17th May 2008 in my Aveo. We filled the tank in New Jeevan Bhima Nagar BP bunk with normal petrol. Reset the Tripmeter. (Then realized that the car has given average of 13.x for the previous trips.) We crossed Bommanahalli, Mayasandra and after that saw a huge traffic Jam. Seems like the saturday market around Chandapura was the cause of this and it took almost an hour to cross.
Traffic Jam before Chandapura.
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2183.jpg
We reached Attebelle junction around 10AM. When I saw it was 10, I was sure I cannot make it before night to my home. But still continued the trip to see if I can atleast start from Hogenekkal at 3PM to reach safer. Thanks to Subbu (team-bhpian) for guiding me the route. I took the right in the junction towards the TVS. Roads are good once you enter the TN border. The TVS factory is really good to see. I remember my olden days when I went there for a Campus interview. Good old memories.

Then after 2 or 3 KMs you reach a "Y" interection. The left goes to the Hosur and right to ThenKanikottai. When you take this right, you will see lot of TATA vehicles parked in this place. I saw some low bed buses like Volvo there. Remember seeing the name but forgot now. Then you end up in another junction. Take right from here for Thenkanikottai. From this point the Thenkanikottai is just 20Kms. You have good signs all over for Thenkanikottai, Anchetty and Hogenekkal.

We crossed so many "palli's" and I saw a place called Istanbur. We passed all these places and the scenes was really good. Its really nice to drive through these places.

Then we reached the "Kundukotai". The forest range starts from here. Its the start of the Ghat section drive.
Pics from Kundukottai
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2202.jpg
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2205.jpg
Its so steep in some places with many hair pin winds. Some of the hair pin winds are very slippery since no roads on there.

When we were at the top the ghat, we were again stopped for 30min because they were laying roads there. I happen to drive over the stones mixed with the hot tar. Was worried about this, but seems its normal and ok.
Tarring the Road on Ghat
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2215.jpg
When I stopped on one of the hair pin wind for letting the bus climbling up, I saw him saying something with his had to me. I could not understand. Then I realised that I was parking my car on the right hand side and allowing him to drive. Oh no. I was suppose to be on the left. May be that is what he was trying to convince to me. I took the hair pin and without noticing I was on the right hand side when coming down. So, since I saw a bus coming (2 bends next to next, so could not see him before) from other direction, I stopped thinking of helping him by giving way.

We decended and was releived that we crossed the Ghat section. I was not aware that one more is waiting for me in next hour.

We saw one newly painted "Ayyanar" sitting in one of the village we passed. It was really nice to see that in such environment. Took some pictures and left.
Ayyanar with his team (Kavval Dheivam also has a Kaval for themselves!!!)
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2227.jpg
Again after sometime, we entered the next ghat and this road was so bad. I was wondering if I could return. Then kept driving. The nice scenes around us was the only thing that gave us some enthu to continue the travel. Just before like 10 or 12 Kms from Hogenekkal, we saw the road even worse. Or I should saw no roads.

Road to Hogenekkal
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2230.jpg
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2233.jpg
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2235.jpg
One the way I could see the river flowing along with us. We stopped in one place. We walked down to the river and there was no one around us except the Monkeys.

When we were about to start we saw another family in Alto and we both joined together for Hogenekkal.

We took some pictures and left the scene. SOmehow I managed to pass this section and we reached Hogenekkal. Oh, yes I had same experiance of being stopped by a checkpost and asking to sign and ofcourse some notes.

Once we enter, we paid 30rs for the entrance fees in to the Hogenekkal. Then a 20rs for the parking. Ha, I then remember that our fellow team-bhpians said we can park in the TTDC. Ok, again I went inside and paid 15rs for the parking. They have slab system for parking. rs10 for hatchbacks, 15 for sedan, suvs etc. There was also a Coracle guy following us in cycle and not leaving us.

Ok, we are in Hogenekkal. Hurrayyy!!!

By then we realized that we are damn hungry. Found a place to eat there, had meals and fish. Not so good, but ok to fill in the stomach.

Then we headed towards the falls. By now, it was 2pm and other family was not interested in getting to boating. They said it will be late for them (they are from Hosur) and went. So, we went to the park to get into the coracle. We were only 2 adults and so could not find a good bargain. He was asking for 300rs for a hour. They were not ready to have us in some other group also. I was almost decided to leave. By then I saw another banglaore family bargaining with the coracle guys. It seemed they were 10 people and he was asking for 600 per boat. We picked up talk and they invited us to join them since we will be 12 and we can hire 2 boats. I was thanking my luck. We ended up negotiation for 500rs. Then came the actual problem.

The guy who accepted to take the bangalore family said he cannot take my family since we both are different groups. And the guy who was following me in cycle was also not ready to allow me. Who is he to allow me? I have no idea. Because I never asked him or even negotiatied with him.

Then I had no option to raise my voice to that guy and finally he left. Umm, unless you speak out, you will have no one listening there. For that matter anywhere I guess...

You would be surprised to know that the rates for per head (Rs.50) is clearly mentioned in the BIG board all through the place. But I have never seen even a single transaction that happened like it said.

It was interesing to balance yourself in the coracle. I could see everyone almost falling once they are in. 5 people were asked to sit in a circle along the corner of the coracle. And one in the center (of gravity!!!)

Atlast we are ready here in the boat for a ride. Once you are in the boat the boat first goes to the guy sitting behind a huge banyan tree. He is suppose to be the "Officer" who issues tickets or token for the coracle to get in the water. He charges 10rs per head. Once we are done we go for 100mts in water and then again disembark from coracle.

You need to walk around 2 or 3 min to the other side and from there the actual odyssey starts. Its tiring to walk that streach. And you see them carrying this coracle on there head and walking. We had lemon juices in one of the shops. Since we were tired and dehydrated, this was really good at this time.
Coracle on the head
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-clipboard01.jpg
Then we went and took our "seats" after dancing for a while in the coracle. So far we have not seen and falls and i was like, man whats this. We came to a falls and have not seen one. I was bit worryed because i thought I made this visit in a bad time. When all these thoughts was running in my mind, there was a sound like "johhhh". You can see my face smiling in Joy. Yes, that was nothing but the sound of the water falls. Wow, 3 or 4 falls over there and we went to the falls in coracle. Nice and different experiance. The guy took us to the falls and made us wet by the falling water. By then I remember snaronikar highlighting his porblem with the car key getting wet. THen I immd took out my car key from my Pant pocket and put inside the bag. Just in time. Thank god.
Atlast the falls
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2298.jpg
Then a couple of rotation in the coracle like merry-go-round. When we are heading towards the river for the bath, we saw these boys standing on the rock and jumping to the water for 5 rs. Had some pictures of them. Slowly we were enjoying the river ride and reached the other side where you have people cooking fish and food for you. The deal is like you pay them for the ingredients (wood, fish, masala etc) and they take the service charge for cooking. But I did not try this since we had food already.

Now its bathing session. Me and my kid went to water and played in that for almost a hour. We enjoyed like anything. I was litterally throwing my son in water and he too was enjoying it a lot. (We never expected we are going to pay for it later, in he name of body ache. Thats a different story)

I could also see other crowds enjoying with little in their mind like some others are also there in that public places. May be they want enjoyment at any cost. Whatever, we had real good time and headed back to coracle. It was now I see the time and it says 5:30pm. OMG, what the heck is this. I was terribly worried on how am I going to head back to Bangalore in night. I was even thinking of taking some hotel to stay and start in the next morning.

Then the other couple mentioned that they too have come in 2 cars and we all can follow each other to reach bangalore. Little releived.

Then we went back to the starting point. This time all were so silent becasue everyone was tired.

Payment time. We ended up paying Rs560 per boat. (with tips) And I paid the other family 200 bucks. He returned 50 back. So, it was 150 for 2 person. Good.

We came out and took the car at 6:15pm. We are suppose to take it ou before 6pm from TTDC parking. So little negotiation, may be they were trying for some amount. But did not pay anything extra and left for bangalore.

They came in one Alto and other 800. I was following those cars and we dont want to take the Thenkanikottai route. I was thinking that they are going for the NH7. But to my surprise they took the penagaram-Rayakottai route.

It was already dark and this also involved crossing a ghat section. It was little difficult to foolow those cars because, everytime they overtake I should do so, and keep in pace with them. By now I could see lighting outside. I was worried again that it is going to rain. But it did not for sometime. Once we crossed pennagaram, it started with drizzle. After palakode, it was heavy. I was using my AC and suddenly the whole windscreen was covered with fog. I was in 50kmph, scared and tried to clean it off. I started the defogger and it did not help me immd. Then i figured out it was my mistake of using it correctly. I cannot stop since I was following those cars. Now i was cursing myself for not getting their mobile number.

For like next 2 or 3 min I was driving almost blind. Only relief was the 2 tail lamps of the car in front. I was literally following that light. Then somehoe figured out the defoger and it worked. Thank god. but still whenever there was a vehicle comming from other direction, I had some trouble in getting the vision clearly.

Some how we reached Hosur @ 10pm. Now is the height of stupidity. I was literally following those 2 guys and he crossed the GQ and took the right for the Krishnagiri. I was like, oh my god, why am I following these guys to Krishnagiri. Was there any sudden change in their plan? Are they visiting any of the relatives house? All these was running in my mind and I stopped the car to the corner. Then I realized that the other 2 car was also stoping. Oh, he confirms he took a wrong turn and the search for U-turn and here we are back to bangalore.

I wanted to thank them for the help but could not make them stop or get them in any juncitons. But I could very well see them in front. I waved hands to them, hoping they would have got it. I remember he said he is from R.T.Nagar. So, not sure where I missed them. When I reached electronic city, they were not in my site. It was a reall good "rail snegham".

Then we crossed the Silkboard bridge, madivala, IRR and back to Home sweet home.

Total KMs done :
Bangalore (c.v.raman nagar) - Attebelle - Thenkanikottai - Anchettey - Hogenekkal. - 130Kms
Hogenekkal - Pennagram - Palakodu - Rayakotai - Hosur - Bangalore. - 170Kms.

Route advise:
Route through Thenkanikottai - Anchetty is not advisable. Even though it is 40Kms less, it would certainly take more time or equal time to reach. wrt FE also, I would think it will be more since the roads are too bad for the last 10s of Kms.
Route through Royakottai is good enough for the drive. At-times its irritating with those lorries but manageable.

Oops: Was it me who wrote this big travelogue? Umm... Let me take a break. (You too!!!).

Ok, I will put some more pictures and experiance in the next part.

OT: What is the right way to have the defog work correct?
Old 18th May 2008, 12:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good one. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
OT: What is the right way to have the defog work correct?

Basically fog forms due to difference in temp. Read both the threads below. There is a lot of good information in there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ous-scary.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ring-rain.html
Old 18th May 2008, 13:31   #3
BHPian

Hi mjothi,
Nice write up.The chandapura junction is very worst on saturdays.Its hard to cross them and it takes lot of time because of the saturday market..So,normally i take the HSR - Sarjapuraroad - and then through sarjapura exit at attibele junction on hosur road for my work.The distance is more,But u dont have to wait in traffic jams.the roads are pretty good too.
Old 18th May 2008, 16:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

More on the way to Hogenekkal

This part is for the other side of the bad route. Yes, this route has a positive things too, which is a very good natural scenes. Some of them reminded me of my Wayanad trips. The roads passes through many villages and we see all sort of deserted / farm lands. The red sands, some greens etc visible all through the route. Young boys playing with their chicken, sheeps etc to "driving" the cycle-less wheels (Yes, the tyre is what I meant!!!)
Attached Thumbnails
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2186.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2193.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2195.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2196.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2198.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2201.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2206.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2213.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2224.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 18th May 2008, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Isolated cauvery bank across the route.

The next good part of this route is the river that flows along with the road. During the last leg, we spoted this river. It is very calm and deserted. We thought of taking a look. Its really good to see such isolated places. We stopped by and took some photos.

We could see a plenty of monkeys here. They are like wild monkeys. Never even care about you and show their face if you disturb them.

Infact the other car which stopped there on seeing us had a window open and you know, when we came back, this monkey has went in, took some grapes, sitting on the car and eating. It never moved even when we tried to clear it from there with stick. It was just staring and seeing angrily as if getting ready for a fight with us. So, we decided to let it go by itself. He had a good snacks and then when on his own.
Attached Thumbnails
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2232.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2237.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2238.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2240.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2243.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2244.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2248.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2249.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2254.jpg  

One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2262.jpg  

Old 18th May 2008, 16:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

More on the Falls.

Starting point of the actual coracle ride
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2270.jpg
3 small Water falls
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2273.jpg
But its Hot sun too!!!
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2274.jpg
Now without the cap
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2275.jpg
Adventure sports! He he he... not by me!
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2277.jpg
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2278.jpg
"Mobile" shop (Or "rotating" shop?)
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2280.jpg
Atlast in water... The purpose of the whole trip is MET!!!
One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls-img_2281.jpg

Did you reached all the way here? Wow... you have great patience to read . Thanks for reading!!!
Old 18th May 2008, 19:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Did you reached all the way here? Wow... you have great patience to read . Thanks for reading!!!
Yes I did, I didnt require patience though. Nice one mjothi !! Nice update on roads as well.

I will definitely try out this Rayakotah route whenever possible.

Abhi
Old 18th May 2008, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good one, dude. I feel my travelogue had helped you atleast putting in the keys in poly cover. I did read the whole thing with patience. Nice pics too. BTW, what was the FE and other details of car like comfort etc. Regarding the defroster, you could have read in the owner's manual. The first thing I do, whatever I buy, is read the owner's manual. Pls do the same from next time. It will save you from these kind of situations. Just my two cents....
Old 19th May 2008, 00:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the travelogue and the details on the route. Cool. So the Anchetty - Hogennakkal route is not too good. Looking at the scenary I think it would still be a good route to take !! Probably by bike would be even better after the monsoons.
Old 19th May 2008, 01:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

good one, mjothi!

the route that you took seems to be good for a leisurely drive! nice.
Old 19th May 2008, 19:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
good one, mjothi!
the route that you took seems to be good for a leisurely drive! nice.
Thanks HappyWheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Thanks for the travelogue and the details on the route. Cool. So the Anchetty - Hogennakkal route is not too good. Looking at the scenary I think it would still be a good route to take !! Probably by bike would be even better after the monsoons.
Yes, if you can manage those last miles, then its worth the travel. I still think the isolated cauvery near the Hogenekkal is a good spot. If you are in groups, yes, a great place to hang out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Good one, dude. I feel my travelogue had helped you atleast putting in the keys in poly cover. I did read the whole thing with patience. Nice pics too. BTW, what was the FE and other details of car like comfort etc. Regarding the defroster, you could have read in the owner's manual. The first thing I do, whatever I buy, is read the owner's manual. Pls do the same from next time. It will save you from these kind of situations. Just my two cents....
It has not just helped in those point. There are N number of points. Anyway, about the FE, i could not calculate since I have not filled the tank yet. Will update shortly.
The last thing I do is getting that manual to read Ok, I will peep in to that from now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks