Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2008, 14:54   #1
BHPian

Exploring Mysore and surroundings

Good day,

I am always looking for an excuse to visit the charming city of Mysore and it's surroundings. One such opportunity presented itself recently.

Disclaimer - I do not intend to write much information on routes, as this is an often beaten path. I just intend to write down the experience.

Day-1 (Friday)

We started from home at 5pm. Our booking was already confirmed at Hotel Dasprakash Paradise We intended to reach that evening so that we can have an early start next day.

Incident #1: Just after kengeri, the road was blocked by some "activists". Apparently, there was a difference of opinion on naming of new Bengaluru airport. So logically, the Mysore highway was blocked :-( Stupid me, i should have seen this logic.

After about 20 mins, the law enforcers cleared up the road and we were on our way.

Incident #2: After crossing Bidadi, rains started to come down. I was doing about 100 kmph. The visibility was good, road was long, straight, wet and except for a tractor in the left lane, there were no other vehicles on this stretch. I was about the pass that contraption, when he decided to move to the fast lane. I slammed on the brakes and was able to stop about 10 ft behind the tractor. During sudden braking, i heard some knocking/shudder. Thank GOD for ABS - the car maintained a straight line and gave me impression of total control. My wife later admitted that she had closed her eyes - it was that close for a moment.

We reached Mysore and checked in by about 8pm.

To be continued
Old 6th June 2008, 15:01   #2
BHPian

Exploring Mysore and surroundings (part-2)

Day-2 (Saturday)
The rest of travelogue in mostly photos now.

Gopalaswamy hills is about 85 kms from Mysore. Travel along Mysore-Ooty road to reach Gundlupet (60 Kms). After 10 more kms, there is an Arch on the right side leading to the temple. One has to pay Rs 50 per car, to enter the forest area. Road conditions are good till Gundulpet and average/poor after that.

Name:  01_GStemple.JPG
Views: 2513
Size:  78.3 KB

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-02_gstemple.jpg

There seems to be a few trials around the temple, but unfortunately, I did not get a chance to explore beyond a couple of hundred meters.

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-03_gshills.jpg

We had started from Mysore at 8am and were back by about 2pm. Lunch was at Kamat Madhuvan, in Mysore on Ooty road. Food was good, but service was average.

The afternoon was spent at the zoo.

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-04_zoo.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-05_zoo.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-06_zoo.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-07_zoo.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-08_zoo.jpg

To be continued
Old 6th June 2008, 15:07   #3
BHPian

Exploring Mysore and surroundings (part-3) - concluded

Day-3 (Sunday)

Sunday morning found us at Chamundi hills. Unfortunately, so were a thousand other people - the temple premises was jam packed! With two small kids and other events lined up, we decided to go for special darshan (Rs 100) where we hardly spent about 10 mins in the queue.

Nandi, at chamundi hills

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-09_nandi.jpg

Now the real reason for visiting Mysore, lest I miss that - for a friend's marriage. After marriage and delicious lunch, we started on way back. We reached Ranganathittu at about 2:00pm. Spent some time while waiting for boat rides to begin - they are closed to lunch from 1:30pm to 2:30pm.

Compared to my previous visits, there were lot of birds and lot less crocodiles (visible, at least).

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-10_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-11_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-12_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-13_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-14_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-15_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-16_rangant.jpg

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-17_rangant.jpg

The roads are lined with paddy fields like the one below. We stopped at one such field and kids had good time playing in the small tributary flowing next to the field.

Exploring Mysore and surroundings-18_rangant.jpg

We were back at home, Bangalore, by about 7pm.

Summary:
Distance: 485 kms
mileage: 14 kmpl (with 90% AC)
passengers: 2 adults + 2 kids

Due to time constraints there are many other places which we could not visit. But then, there is always another time and another excuse to do that!

Thanks for reading till the end.

Concluded.
Old 6th June 2008, 15:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey sreeni,
That's a very nicely written travelogue. Nice photographs too
Old 6th June 2008, 15:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey there nice pics. Looks like you had clear skies and the pic(2nd one) shot at Gopalswamy betta is brilliant.

I wonder how you missed this spot ?
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Mysore and surroundings-dsc_3150.jpg  

Old 6th June 2008, 15:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

@sreenidhibr >> nice pictorial..!
BUt which car may I ask , since its not depicted in any of your fotos?
Old 6th June 2008, 16:44   #7
BHPian

Thanks, Tbhp-comrades.

@rjstyles: that's a beautiful spot in your photo!
Due to the crowd at the Gopalaswamy temple, there was a delay. I could not afford to be late to the zoo, lest I incur the wrath of a child :-) So, I really could not explore the temple surroundings properly. I will definitely try to do that next time.

@jay: the car is SX4. Photos of the car, although at a different location, are present in my garage.
Old 6th June 2008, 16:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Actually mysore has endless places to explore/visit depending on the age, company ur with etc..

Another place that you can try perhaps next time is datta peetam on ooty road

The place is famous for a bonsai garden and has few more attractions.. good for family

This place can be covered along with Karangi kere (both are within 3-4 KM radius i guess)
Old 6th June 2008, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Good you didnot visit Bandipur-Safari. Its useless and only animals to spot are deer. They need to change it to deer-safari
Old 6th June 2008, 23:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
Good you didnot visit Bandipur-Safari. Its useless and only animals to spot are deer. They need to change it to deer-safari

Its not a zoo my dear friend... and neither are the animals likely to come out and show itself to probably the most dangerous species in this world. Us, the homosapiens !!

You are in its territory and you have to be patient and lucky to see WILD animals not the sad ones that you see in a Zoo !!

There is no greater pleasure and thrill than trekking through the forest silently and being able to see wild animals in its natural habitat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks