Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 18:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
One wishes(rather selfishly) that the heating problem would not go off entirely, so that we keep getting these travelogues every week
There is already a solution in sight. It was discovered today that head gasket has a leak.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post935744

Ofcourse, I would have to do one more run to test that fix.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ofcourse, I would have to do one more run to test that fix.
That is great...you will have a problem solved (hopefully) and we will have another narrative
Old 11th August 2008, 18:46   #18
BHPian

Samurai sir you can also try the Kudremukh ghats.Had been in this ghat on wednesday evening.I felt it was steep enough,But Cant comment relatively as i didnt do agumbe ghat.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics again Samurai.

After this over exposure to jeep pics on TBhp I have started noticing Jeeps on road very keenly now & am tempted to own one

Note to self: Please refrain from opening Jeep threads
Old 11th August 2008, 19:34   #20
BHPian

Hi Samurai, Nice pictures of scenery and your Jeep, even the great
photography, keep coming more. I hope your Jeep is equipped with all
safety tools, if not add GPRS, power jacks, etc.

It is dream to see such scenery in KSA.

Good luck and safety first.
Old 11th August 2008, 20:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

How to add GPRS to Jeep and what is KSA?
Old 11th August 2008, 20:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...what is KSA?
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Old 11th August 2008, 20:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Oh, Ok. thanks KS.

vintagepoint5, you envy our scenery, we envy your offroaders and access to accessories. We have to the manage with outdated equipment, scenery makes up for it.
Old 11th August 2008, 20:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, Ok. thanks KS.

vintagepoint5, you envy our scenery, we envy your offroaders and access to accessories. We have to the manage with outdated equipment, scenery makes up for it.
Samurai Sir, do you think so, do we need to manage with outdated equipments.

Aren't we getting required equipments in this much developed India, or are you talking about the coastal area...

Last edited by gowda79 : 11th August 2008 at 20:42.
Old 11th August 2008, 20:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sharath no offense , please leave the cooling system aside and lets talk of the mountains and the scenery out there.

I envy you coz you live in PARADISE. Once again excellent pictures captured ,am sure most of the people here should be oogling at the beauty of the nature there than you jeep .

Way to go !!!
Old 11th August 2008, 21:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Aren't we getting required equipments in this much developed India, or are you talking about the coastal area...
Where do we get offordable modern offroading vehicles in India that we can push around in the muck? Isn't that why we are all managing with Jeeps and Gypsies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Sharath no offense , please leave the cooling system aside and lets talk of the mountains and the scenery out there.
Well, the purpose of the trip can't be ignored.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:45   #27
BHPian

Wow!! Reading your post made me nostalgic about my visits to the Udupi region & the nearby countryside.

It's pity that the guv does not fix the NH17 problem once & for all(or atleast build a road which lasts for 2-3 years).

I have had to miss my drives down from Pune to Udupi during the monsoons due to this highway(or the lack of it!!). I drove down in May this year before the highway went apart during the rains.

Reading your posts around this region helps me cover up on these missed drive-downs
Old 20th August 2008, 09:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Well, it was time for another test run. ...

The place where we started our descent, there were few people digging the foundation for a new house under the supervision of a contractor. ...

As they were staring at me, I put the Jeep into 1st low and jumped off the Jeep as it started down the hill. I could see their collective dropped jaws in the peripheral vision.
Another instance of your avatar showing up..

Quote:
The verdict of the latest test is mixed. There is definite improvement, while it did overheat, it was much more under control and we weren’t forced to stop for long time. I still need to get it checked by experts. I think I will take up Mr.Dhabhar’s advice and get it checked by the authorized dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
One wishes(rather selfishly) that the heating problem would not go off entirely, so that we keep getting these travelogues every week
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You just beat me to this.
Samurai, what would you do if the heating problem is solved ? Hope you solve your problem after the monsoon !!
hmmm... so another testing on cards this week? ... however if the problem is fixed maybe a longer drive and longer blog
Old 6th December 2008, 20:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Wow, it has been 4 months since the last test is it?

Anyway, today I decided to do test run to Agumbe again. Now I have replaced the radiator with Mahindra OE radiator, new engine head to replace the cracked one and an almost completely rebuilt gearbox.

When my wife heard about my trip, she decided to join up. Today my son had school till 4PM because of some school inspection. So I picked him at 4PM, dropped him home, and then my wife and I took off in the Jeep towards Agumbe.

Five minutes into the drive, my wife asks me why we are going to Agumbe, so I tell her. I thought she knew...

The temp slowly starts raising from 40C and after a while settles at 65C. Nope, it is not going beyond that. The optimal operating temp of this engine is 80C. Now I am getting a little worried because I am driving the Jeep below the best condition.

As we drive through cool Someshwara forest, the temp actually drops a few degrees. It picks up later as we get out of the forest cover.

As we reach the base of Agumbe Ghat (40Kms of driving) and the temp is still at 65C. Now we start climbing, 2nd gear in hairpin curves and 3rd gear in between. The temp starts climbing and settles little shy of 80C. As we reach the peak (sunset point), the temp needle is stuck at 78C and simple refuses to go beyond.

We had some snacks at Agumbe and when we came back to the Jeep, the needle is still at around 70C. We started driving back, the needle starts dropping thanks to the cool breeze of Agumbe, remember it is December. The needle remained at 55-60C all the way back.

Conclusion: The overheating problem has been solved. But I have a under-heating problem now. Fortunately, this problem can be easily fixed, I need to install a thermostat to control the over-cooling by the radiator.
Old 6th December 2008, 21:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear this, good work on solving the heating problem, cooling forward to reading when the thermostat is back on the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks