Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 00:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Visited July 2007

We made the similar trip July last year, it was a one dayer and we covered both the places, Chunchi falls and Mekedatu.

Chunchi is kind of little deserted, you may see some crowd during weekends though. Once you take that left from the arch, you just go thru a village and after a couple KMs you have to park the vehicle, there would be one old guy collecting parking charges (not sure if he shows up only during weekends), then you have to walk around a kilometer to get to those rocks.

its not very difficult, we could not see falls, it was just a small stream flowing all the way down (it has got a very good height, i guess it should be around 60-80 feet). We spent sometime sitting there, watching other folks doing some adventures and then started for Mekedatu - following are some of the pictures during the trip.

@ ChunchiFalls
Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02942.jpg

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02930.jpg

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02929.jpg

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02928.jpg

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02920.jpg

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02919.jpg

@ Mekedatu -
Attached Thumbnails
Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc03006.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc03004.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02989.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02987.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02986.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02980.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02977.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02975.jpg  

Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-dsc02953.jpg  

Last edited by Ketan : 14th September 2008 at 00:58.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:40   #17
BHPian

Re: Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos

Last week end (30th April 2011)we went on a day trip to Chunchi falls and sangam near Mekedatu. Thanks to BHPians for a great guidance. we started at around 11.30 in the morning and by lunch time we were near the Pyramid Dhyana Kendra. My pratner's research on the route left us with the idea that lunch is served there exactly at that time. So we filled our bellies with typical Andhra style lunch and were happily on road again to reach Mekedatu. then it was very heavily raining so we took a diversion to Chunchi falls since we were in doubt whether we can reach Mekedatu in that rain.
Our diversion proved to be a great decision when we were deep at the feet of the chunchi falls after passing through big rocks and bushy trees. The view from there was as Fantastic as Kethan already displayed.
Then our next stop was at Sangam where the river Cauvary meets the river Arkavathy. Thought to be very pious place, my brother and his friend took bath in the flow and we started back to home. Since it was late in the evening and it was raining a bit, wehad no hopes to see Mekedatu

One must take a diversion to left when you find a board that shows MUthathi straight then you can reach Chunchi falls.
There is a route directly from Chunchi falls to Sangam Which to some extent doesn't seem at all like a road but a car can very comfortably go on that.
Take an extra pair of dress if you wish to take bath in the sangam and go a bit inside the water where that wil be clean and the water force will be good.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:49   #18
BANNED

So I gather, this place has water even during summer? I am bored and planning a long drive this Sunday... Or should I wait till the rainy season?

Thanks.

--Ragul
Old 8th July 2013, 02:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
on my recent visit in may 2008 , the place was live and active. The waterfall was full and kicking. The roar is deafening.
Krishna.
Don't mean to dig up an old thread.

But this place, I've been there once with friends after sneaking out from home at 2AM.

We trekked to the falls but it was nowhere as near as magnificent! We ended up being disappointed with the place eventually.

Anyone knows if it will have atleast decent amount of water now given the recent rains?
Old 10th July 2013, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Don't mean to dig up an old thread.

But this place, I've been there once with friends after sneaking out from home at 2AM.

We trekked to the falls but it was nowhere as near as magnificent! We ended up being disappointed with the place eventually.

Anyone knows if it will have atleast decent amount of water now given the recent rains?
This is a beautiful falls but neglected by authorities. This is the best time to go when it is raining around.

Another water falls which come alive during rains is "Pearl valley" which is nothing but a trickle otherwise.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

I had posted the following snaps on a Mekedatu thread when I had been there quite some time back. I thought it was Cauvery. Later realized it was actually Arkavathy. The Falls very in full fury then. Cross posting those images here.

At tip of the fall

The fall

The Full View

And one which I uploaded to this thread.
Dawn to Dusk (Chunchi Falls) with photos-img_0182a3.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 18:27   #22

Hi BHPians,

This is my first post . Happy to be part of this community.

I am planning to go on Cycle trail this Saturday. As of now, I have decided on Kanakapura--> Arkavathi dam via the Sangama Road. Chose this trail as it is quite near and doable in a day.
I will drive till Kanakapura from Bangalore. My questions
1) How are the conditions on Sangama Road?
2) Is it safe for cyclists on this road? Any animals scare in the area?
3) Any good hotels in Kanakapura for parking my car.

suggest.
Old 21st April 2015, 13:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks
We are a group of about 5 families along with kids planning to go to Chunchi falls. Need some more details
1. Is there too much water around there . The reason why I am asking this is kids are there
2. I believe choice for food is virtually zero. Still do we have any hotels in the vicinity of the falls
3. Is the area safe considering the fact we have ladies and kids in the group
4. What are the other precautions to be taken while camping in chunchi falls?

Need your feedback ASAP.
Old 21st April 2015, 17:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Hi Folks
We are a group of about 5 families along with kids planning to go to Chunchi falls. Need some more details
1. Is there too much water around there . The reason why I am asking this is kids are there
2. I believe choice for food is virtually zero. Still do we have any hotels in the vicinity of the falls
3. Is the area safe considering the fact we have ladies and kids in the group
4. What are the other precautions to be taken while camping in chunchi falls?

Need your feedback ASAP.
  1. Water level would be low compared to monsoon season but risky to get into the water since it has uneven depths, deceptive water, rocky terrain and surface might be slippery.
  2. Kanakapura is the nearest place to the falls, has got some restaurants but It’s better to carry food and water.
  3. Generally you can find tourists in weekends but the place is quite remote and I would suggest you to reach Kanakapura before dark.
  4. Sunscreen lotions,sun glasses, good shoes to trek on eroded rocky terrains etc.
Near by places to visit : Mekedatu and Sangama.

Enjoy the trip
Karthik Gullu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks