Team-BHP - The Spiti Loop > done differently - 7900kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   The Spiti Loop > done differently - 7900kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/46531-spiti-loop-done-differently-7900kms-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashpillai (Post 1105634)
Nikon D 80..... I suspected it was a Nikon..... D80 is top of the line but I guess I wont be able to afford to even look at them. By the way what is your view on stills shot using handycams.... I was wondering if rather than investing heavily on DSLR how about picking up a good handycam and using it for stills too. But i wonder if the results are equally good. Even in your pics, the ones shot with the D80 has amazing color balance...

Yes we loved chitkul......
[IMG]D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Chitkul\DSC06283.jpg[/IMG]

Perhaps the most beautiful place I have seen till now....
[IMG]D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Chitkul\DSC06290 b.jpg[/IMG]

Yes.... the 16 hr marathon was tiring.... We started at 8.00 am and reached home at Mohali at 12.15 at night. Only two breaks of 15-20 min (84 mm of tobacco!!) during the day!!! Imagine our 1.5 yr old took it all with a smile.....

Well, all i can say, if your kids got smoke in the blood then all he/her can do is smile.:uncontrol

I was mighty impressed with the D80 too, but honestly with my minutely limited knowledge of photography i dont think its worth it.

My handycam gives me pretty good stills too and the zoom is good, but the 1.5 second delay between click and capture dosent help much. what i like rather is the ability of twisting the lcd screen while hold the camera high or at angles to take a shot. Cant do that with a dslr. And cant shoot video with a dslr either. Maybe i will buy a dslr after a few years, if at all. Im ok with the compromise right now.
cheers:

Jaysmokesleaves, you deserve many congrats for doing such a marathon trip especially because you were having company of your 67 years old dad. At this age people can't even do a 8 hour journey forget about such a gruelling trip.
Hats off to your father!
Also, an excellent write-up on a great trip. Wish you all the best & happy driving!

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezydrive (Post 1110289)
Jaysmokesleaves, you deserve many congrats for doing such a marathon trip especially because you were having company of your 67 years old dad. At this age people can't even do a 8 hour journey forget about such a gruelling trip.
Hats off to your father!
Also, an excellent write-up on a great trip. Wish you all the best & happy driving!

Thanks breezydrive!
agree: By the grace if the good lord my dad is hail n harty till today. Fortunately his spirit is still strong and his mind still young and sane and his body fit. He still manages 14hr nonstop drives till today and continues to amaze me while being a guiding light. May the light continue to shine on him.

Hats off! Great travelogue, never ever i thought places like these exist in our country. Also travelling around for 7900 Kms in 3 weeks, truly its a test of man and machine!

congrats!, n yes am awaiting your next trip! :)

Thanks!

Amazing trip that you had , I went through the entire thread and felt really happy and elated. I just want to share that even i did a long trip i.e from Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai ( khandala and lonavla included) Goa-Belgaum ( in karnataka) - Mumbai-Indore-Agra-Delhi

5000 kms in 11 days and guess which car , In my Chevy Spark. I'm posting a few pictures for now

This trip brings up a lot of memories. It was unique in its own way.

Your trip deserves a travelogue. Im sure you will have quite a few things to share about your 5000km trip in your Spark. Do put up a travelogue.

Cheers,
J

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1306327)

Your trip deserves a travelogue. Im sure you will have quite a few things to share about your 5000km trip in your Spark. Do put up a travelogue.

Cheers,
J

It was an awesome trip and i'm looking forward to do these kinds of trips whenever i'll get chance.

BTW R u from orissa, as you said you left your dog in cuttack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1306327)

Cheers,
J

Thanks for the suggestion , I started a travelogue after your suggestion. Mentioned herewith is the link for the same

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by akas_chauhan (Post 1306469)
It was an awesome trip and i'm looking forward to do these kinds of trips whenever i'll get chance.

BTW R u from orissa, as you said you left your dog in cuttack?

My friend in Orissa has a farm big enough to accomodate both my dogs in heavenly comfort(doggy style). Im from Bombay.

Phew..!
I went through the whole 10 pages again. This trip was truly superb. Relived all those memories in these pages. Wonderfully refreshing.
The mountains are calling me again...

On second thoughts, it is so convenient to just go through my own travelogue than to go through all the pictures again.
This travelogue section has become a repository of wonderful memories of my own and of those shared by everyone.
Cheers,
J

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1311507)
Phew..!
I went through the whole 10 pages again. This trip was truly superb. Relived all those memories in these pages. Wonderfully refreshing.
The mountains are calling me again...

On second thoughts, it is so convenient to just go through my own travelogue than to go through all the pictures again.
This travelogue section has become a repository of wonderful memories of my own and of those shared by everyone.
Cheers,
J

You bet Jay , we all liked it. Also check my Travelogue if you have some spare time , I would definately like to hear your tips on my travelogue as you're a experienced traveloguer and this is my first travelogue on Team BHP

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html

Hi, I was wondering, for ~7800 KM, isnt INR 30,000+ on the higher side, that too for diesel?

Its not. fuel efficiency reduces greatly in the hills. Especially with my throttle happy style of driving. Add to that the vehicle remaining on idling for hours in the day on the first leg for my dogs, while we stopped for meals or otherwise. And back then, when I did my trip,diesel costed approx 37rs per liter. So averaging that comes to approx 30-31k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1313051)
Its not. fuel efficiency reduces greatly in the hills. Especially with my throttle happy style of driving. Add to that the vehicle remaining on idling for hours in the day on the first leg for my dogs, while we stopped for meals or otherwise. And back then, when I did my trip,diesel costed approx 37rs per liter. So averaging that comes to approx 30-31k.

Total KMS 7800kms
Total cost of fuel 31k
cost per liter 37 rs per liter
So approximately total fuel consumed is 837 liters
average per liter is 9.31 kms to the liter.
This I think is a very good FE for hills.

Recently I did a round trip to Manali of 1226kms and the safari gave me a FE of 12.06 kms to a liter.
Of this trip 500-550 was hill driving and the rest was plains. The aircon was on throughout the way and we olny switched it off after crossing Kullu. So I guess that a FE of 12 is quite decent

Thats fabulous FE, Harjeev. I have never had any complaints about the FE on my Safari either. In a mixed city and highway cycle I get around 12kpl with 100% ac even during idling for 20mins and above. Im sure with a lighter foot like most drivers and earlier gear changes before the turbo spools, I can easily extract 13.5kpl+. And that too with the additional weight of the 4x4.