Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 16:45   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
1. The ride starts by 12pm and ends at 9/10am the following day.
2. There are many bedroom options (1/2/3 etc.)
3. The starting cost for a decent houseboat starts from 8k/night onwards (including meals).
4. Air conditioner can be used only during a specified time slot. I wanted to know whether will it be too hot in November or the heat will be manageable.
1. Yes, roughly the mentioned time. +/ - an hour or so based on your preference / houseboat selected.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Again, the cost you mentioned is for 1 bed room houseboat. You will get cheaper options if you opt for 2 or 3 bed room houseboats. However, apart from bed time all occupants will be spending time in dining / viewing area of the boat. So, comfort factor in sharing the boat will have to be considered.
4. Again yes, this is due to the fact that AC is run on generators. November, climate wise will not be hot. However, you will be spending a whole day in middle of backwater (humid atmosphere), hence it becomes bit tiring. Usually, by evening the boat will be anchored/ tied near any scenic location. If interested you can go for a stroll at nearby fields and get back in boat before dinner time.
Past dinner, they will switch on AC.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 17:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If interested you can go for a stroll at nearby fields and get back in boat before dinner time.
Past dinner, they will switch on AC.
Thank you for your reply! Would you have any suggestions for a houseboat company (there are so many options)? I am thinking of going for a personal boat i.e. one with just 1 bedroom and possibly an upper deck. If you happen to know of a good houseboat operator (via personal experience or via your friends), please do let me know!
Old 24th October 2017, 19:47   #93
BHPian

Muthoot houseboats are a safe bet.
Old 24th October 2017, 19:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
If you happen to know of a good houseboat operator (via personal experience or via your friends), please do let me know!
Mr Ramesh of IndoWorldTours (+91-94470-37527). My friends have availed their houseboat service few times and they speak highly of him Do give them a call

Suhas has already answered all your queries. Just adding few more points :

- If you've that craving for prawns, lobsters etc, you can buy them from the markets along the backwaters and get it cooked by the houseboat people.

- Food from the country toddy shops are definitely worth a shot.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 15:20   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Muthoot houseboats are a safe bet.
Are you referring to Xandari Houseboats? They are way beyond my budget actually. But it looks really fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Mr Ramesh of IndoWorldTours (+91-94470-37527). My friends have availed their houseboat service few times and they speak highly of him Do give them a call
Thanks for your suggestion! I have booked my houseboat (1 room deluxe) with them! Hoping for a nice experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
1. Yes, roughly the mentioned time. +/ - an hour or so based on your preference / houseboat selected.
Now that my flights/hotels are booked, I just needed some advice on the mode of transport. Here are the traveling routes I need to take:

16th Nov: Cochin Airport to my hotel in Kumarakom (Zuri Resort)
18th Nov: Transport from Kumarakom to Alleppey (for the houseboat).
19th Nov: Alleppey to Cochin Airport (departure towards home)

Do I need to hire a private taxi for 4 days? What options do I have? Self drive will not be possible.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks