Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 18:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Keep the pics coming. I liked your car pic on Aroor bridge.
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajiv,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Beautiful pics doc, and your CVT looks equally good. That reminds me the day I tested your CVT at cochin.

BTW my plans for kerala are still on
Pictures courtesy my friend who was with me! Thanks.

Welcome (back) to Kerala. Just as you remember the CVT testing, I still remember you showing me our position in your HTC while going to the airport. (Sorry about your HTC). I went in for a GPS receiver and a HTC phone.

@abhilash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
A very nice detailed report with excellent pictures. I hope now your Xmas - New Year sales are over and you will be able to complete the travelogue. Waiting...
Thank you. It is time and a post definitley follows this.

@snaronikar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice travelogue. Keep the pics coming. I liked your car pic on Aroor bridge.
Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Onwards......

Hi,

Ten minutes later, came across this board. I didn't even remember that this was our state bird!

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00312_small.jpg

There was no dearth of opportunities for photos in this part of the drive. We found one just after 18 minutes duringwhich we had travelled 7.3kms. This was the Sholayar reservoir.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00313_small.jpg

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00314_small.jpg

Why not a video?

The next 15kms was traversed in 48 minutes. With absolutely no idea about the time when we would find lunch, we stopped for some light refreshments and attended nature's call. The roads were in no shape to traverse fast and City does tend to scrape its underside quite easily. So extra care was taken that the scraping only resulted in sound and not damage to whatever was coming into contact with the road.

Seeing some crater like potholes, Raja wanted a video of the City crossing a water filled crater. So he positioned himself and signed for me to go ahead. I took it safe and took the shallowest part of the pothole depriving him of a good video and also almost brushing him into the shrub by the side of the road. (The bloody significance of this was realised hours later!)

In spite of all that I almost did to him for the previous video, he wanted one with proper action and so another bigger crater was chosen. This time I did not disppoint him. But neither of us realised that it was deeper than comfortable. But I have to give credit to the City, it did manage quite well.

Did you guys notice a flash of light when the car was about to go into the water? We had formed various mysterious theories for this flash of light, until i remembered hours later as to what caused it!

Almost 181 kms and about 7 and a half hours, we sort of crossed the forest area and were coming back to civilisation as we know it - Cell phone range again! It was the Malakkappara check post.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00320_small.jpg

Some nature shots after the Malakkappara check post!

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00321_small.jpg

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00322_small.jpg

We were looking forward to lunch by now...

Last edited by trrk : 2nd January 2009 at 16:42.
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Vaalpaarai at last!

Hi,

The next two kilometres took us 13 minutes to traverse as we were literally crawling and stopping to take photos - a temple, a tea factory and the Tamil Nadu state border.

The temple:

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00324_small.jpg

The tea factory with the Sholayar Dam as the backdrop:

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00325_small.jpg

The Tamil Nadu border:

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00327_small.jpg

Vaalpaarai welcomes:

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00328_small.jpg

We were getting worried about our schedule by now. It was already 01.30PM and our scheduled time to return to Alleppey was 9.00PM as my firend had to drive back to Kollam.

Two minutes later we reached the Sholayar Dam. Had to stop for photos. We clicked some before we reached the bridge.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00329_small.jpg

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00331_small.jpg

A few were shot from the bridge itself.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00333_small.jpg

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00335_small.jpg

Another 3kms later we reached a T junction and we turned right towards Vaalpaarai (our lunch stop!).

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00336_small.jpg

After a few turns and a short climb we reached the dam head. We crossed the dam and went by the side of the reservoir.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00337_small.jpg

Water level was low as evident from the snaps. The small dots on the slope are cattle grazing there.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00338_small.jpg

About 10kms later we crossed a small place called Urulickal and the road was bordered with tea plantations.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00340_small.jpg

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00341_small.jpg

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00343_small.jpg

A curve in the road and straight ahead we saw a tree which seemd to have only blooms and no leaves!

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00342_small.jpg

It took another 30minutes and 16kms to reach Vaalpaarai. About 6kms before the town was the sharp turn off towards Pollachi (with its enchanting 40 hair pin bends - as noted down by Ripper). We asked for and were directed to have our lunch in a place oppoiste the Police station. It turned out to be a first floor affair called 'Mary Matha Mess' run by Mr Paulson who hails from Ernakulam. We left after 30 minutes having had a tasty lunch.

Ripper's route revisited - partially-dsc00345_small.jpg

Just when finishing lunch, Raja felt something on his left leg and came with blood in his hand. He had an unwelcome guest which was feeding on him. A leech! Must have taken a fancy to him when he was taking all that that muddy water video! It was quickly sent back to its makers and luckily the bleeding stopped quickly.

It was 3PM. Our original plan was to follow Ripper's route at least as far as Pollachi. There we thought we will go towards Wadakkancherry and onto NH47 to Alleppey. But we were not sure about the distances involved. On a quick calculation, the drive so far involved a running time of just 6hrs and 47minutes. So we decided to drive back by the same route as we would not have to stop for sight seeing. We were quite sure to reach Alleppey before 10PM at the latest.

So we said bye bye to Vaalpaarai at 03.01PM.
Old 27th October 2009, 16:33   #20
BHPian

Rajesh, sir nice travelogue came across this when i was searching for a visit ot Athrimpally and Vazhachal, your thread has given me enough reason to visit all the way to Valparai, how was the return journey? Can this be done on one day itself like spending the morning on a drive to Valparai and coming back to spend the evening in Athirampally!
Old 28th October 2009, 19:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Rajesh, sir nice travelogue
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Can this be done on one day itself like spending the morning on a drive to Valparai and coming back to spend the evening in Athirampally!
The first post has the time details. You can do it, but the route is too good for a day! If you are just coming back to Athirappally, yes, go ahead!

Please remember that there are no mobile phone signals inside the forest. Traffic would be sparse, so keep that in mind.

My return was through the same route, but with hardly any stops as it was getting late.

All the best for your trip.
Old 30th October 2009, 17:38   #22
BHPian

Sir, thank you very much will post details once completed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks