Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 23:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Now your travelogue has the same effect on me.
The mountains always mesmerized me and thanks to you for capturing the beauty. Have read stories of people getting stuck, warning not to go without a 4x4 and all sorts of things, somehow you made it look so simple.
Please post more pictures of this wonderful journey.

Regards,
Krishna.
Exactly, the simplicity of the trip is amazing. Everybody has a first time, but yours made a smile on my face with the joy of your achievement.

Great going..
Old 13th January 2009, 04:01   #17
BHPian

Amazing pics. Which camera was this?
Old 13th January 2009, 07:00   #18
BHPian

You seriously should write more. Rather, travel and write more!! It felt so from the heart. Wishing you many more wonderful trips ahead.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:04   #19
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpillai View Post
We reached Chitkul at around 9.30 am and the sight of the gates meant that we had finally completed a journey we had set on almost a decade ago when we were younger, single and the emotions we experienced were beyond description!!
Great candid and simple but infinitely refreshing travelogue. While going to Sangla you must have met the baba who gives a prasad and says "all time best!!!!

Also one picture of Chitkul that you took almost matches with what I had on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1024815

Was the hotels open around November, particularly the Pancholi Resort, the last hotel out there. Also is suprised to see less snow cover on the mountains than was there in late September/early October.

Next time do stay at Chitkul, it is again much better than Sangla and Rakcham. However from Chitkul a few hours spent in Rakcham is also very refreshing. Chitkul is amazing.
Old 13th January 2009, 13:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Amazing pics. Which camera was this?
My 6 year old DSC 100 Cybershot. I wish I had a better camera, the place is so beautiful, you can never do justice with a point and shoot camera.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow..you are indeed first time lucky

i have been driving for years and never managed to get time to do a trip like this..perhaps you are luckier because you are in north

But nice way to start ..hope to see more of long drives and pics
Old 13th January 2009, 15:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

AshPillai,

One hell of a travelogue! Some very beautiful places that you have been to and that too with a 1.5year old baby.

From the way Rahul has taken this trip, seems like he will grow up to be a great traveller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpillai View Post
...This was the story of a lot of firsts!! first car, first drive, first time.....and of course first wife and first kid!!!...
You are asking for trouble, aren't you! I can understand all the "first's", except for the "wife" part!
Old 13th January 2009, 15:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
You are asking for trouble, aren't you! I can understand all the "first's", except for the "wife" part!
Ha Ha HA. My wife keeps threatening me that she will leave me if the trips like these are not more frequent and in todays wonderful colleges neither do they pay and nor do they give you time off, so I guess the danger is always there!!
Old 13th January 2009, 16:06   #24
BHPian

Brilliantly written travelogue, Ash, hits the heart straight! Lovely pictures to augment the piece. this surely looks like veteran's job, the writing and the snaps!
I stayed in Chandigarh for more than a year, don't know why I never heard about this place back in 2000! Tempts me to try the north now!

Cheers and keep travelling and then posting those!
-Nandi.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Awesome write up...very emotionally laced!! Good pics to support!! Way to GO!!
Old 13th January 2009, 17:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey that was a very ' straight from the heart' travelogue. And some very nice pictures that bring alive very recent memories for me.
Chitkul is one place that will always remain on my 'revisit' list. The place is captivating and stunning.
Hope you do get to revisit it again and again too.
cheers:
Old 14th January 2009, 10:38   #27
BHPian

Hey Thanks Guys!!! You know what I had been "almost scared" of posting a travelogue. In fact having one of ours at Team-Bhp was another dream we had and to consider the kind of responses you have given, Man we are happy!!

I have been using a 6 year old Cybershot DSC 100. I look forward to owning DSLR, till then please enjoy few more "point and shoot" output!!

This one is somewhere on way to Shimla. There was one very scary moment;
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-daybreak.jpg

An hour into the drive, I was shocked to find that I had drifted into the way of an oncoming bus! Had to break suddenly and then realized that even though, I had not been sleeping, I had practically entered a state of trance like suspended animation. Previous night Rahul had "permitted" us to sleep at 2.30 am, so we had made the mistake of beginning the trip practically without sleep!!
Lesson: Never Compromise on Sleep on Long Drives

The Tea Break before Kufri.
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-tea-break.jpg
Shockingly, my son has displayed an affinity for tea!! These days we are trying to fool him by offering him Bournvita as "Chai" which he specifically asks for when we have our cups!!

The Breakfast at Hatu.
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-breakfast-hatu.jpg
We ordered bread omlette and veg cutlets for Rahul. One can always wonder, how good can a bread omlette be? After all it is bread onlette!! Beleive me, those guys do make one that is simply delicious. If not for the scenic beauty and the fact that they stock IMFL, I would recomend Hotel Hatu for its Bread Omlette!!

The Satluj at Rampur.
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-satluj.jpg

We specifically opted for this spot to click as this was one place where almost all Bhpians seem to stop to click!!

I really would like to know what the hell happened here
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-what-happened.jpg

View from our room at Hotel Shrikhand, Sarahan. I call this "thankfully out of Focus"!!
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-thankfully-out-focus.jpg

View of Shrikhand Mahadev Peak from the hotel room.
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-shrikhand-mahadev.jpg
Funny how Gods have practically occupied the most beautiful places in India; Kerala (God's Own Country) and Himachal (Land of the Gods)!! Wah!!

The drive to Sangla was exciting.
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-way-sangla.jpg
And as a person who is driving in the mountains for the absolute first time, when I say "exciting", it means so many other things, I cannot put in here. The forum rules do not permit that!!

Sangla was a let down of sorts. But the surrounding peaks were definitely not!
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-peaks-sangla.jpg

My attempts at cleaning the windscreen!
Three First Timers & Mountains to Cross!-ice.jpg

I spared water, ducked inside the car to get the rag, total time spend would have been few seconds and this happened!! And to imagine that the water had a cleaning solution in it that is also supposed to prevent fogging and freezing!!
Old 15th January 2009, 00:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Man, splendid travelogue and amazing pics too, to boot. Everyone has a first time, all you need is a will to do it and you displayed it in plenty.

Expecting to see more from you. Hoping you get a DSLR too , so that you can taken even better pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks