Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Wayanad in 45 hours

It was a week-end in hand, and we planned to cover Wayanad. Started from home at around 4:15 am on 21st Feb and returned at 1:15 am on 23rd. So 45 hours for the Bangalore - Wayanad - Bangalore.

For records, Wayanad is one of the 14 districts in present day Kerala. It was curved out of Kannur and Kozhikode district to form Kerala's 12th district on Nov 1, 1980. The name has been derived from Vayal (paddy) Naad (Land) - 'the land of paddy fields'.

Wayanad in 45 hours-kerala_map.jpg
Map courtesy: www.wayanad.com

Kalpetta is the district head quarter. Sultan Bathery and Mananthavady being the other two important town. The district comprises of three taluks: Vythiry, Mananthavady and Sulthan Bathery.

Name:  wayanad.gif
Views: 40580
Size:  81.6 KB
Map courtesy: www.mapsofindia.com

Wayanad district stands on the southern top of the Deccan plateau and its chief glory is the majestic Western ghats with lofty ridges interspersed with dense forest and deep valleys. It also borders with the wildlife sanctuaries of Nagarhole and Bandipur of Karnataka on the northeast and Mudumalai of Tamil Nadu on the southeast and gives a continuous passage for the faunas in this region.

Detail travelogue and the pics will be coming soon.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

mm..waiting for more...i love wayanad.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
mm..waiting for more...i love wayanad.
I will try to make it worth the waiting

Disclaimer: 45 hours (that too including too and fro journey from Bangalore) is definitely not enough to explore Wayanad. We have just caught some glimpses of it and was mesmarised.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:11   #4
BHPian

Have been reading about bush fires and stuff in Wayanad. It was hot when we went there for the WILD meet couple of weeks ago. Is it any better where you stayed?
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Have been reading about bush fires and stuff in Wayanad. It was hot when we went there for the WILD meet couple of weeks ago. Is it any better where you stayed?
Was in Wayanad over the weekend quicksilver , it has gotten warmer than bangalore if I could say so. Also the bush fire claimed the vegetation around Gopalswamy Bettta and now the place looks like its gone thru some kinda wildfire.
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is hot in the day, but early morning and after sun down it cools quite a bit. I wanted to join you guys in that meet, but could not join as wife had some work. So was planning to visit Wayanad in next possible opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Was in Wayanad over the weekend quicksilver , it has gotten warmer than bangalore if I could say so. Also the bush fire claimed the vegetation around Gopalswamy Bettta and now the place looks like its gone thru some kinda wildfire.
Riju, did not know you were around, would have loved to meet you. Now I am scared to even post a single photo knowing the snaps you are going to post.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Was in Wayanad over the weekend quicksilver , it has gotten warmer than bangalore if I could say so.
True. Wayanad was a disappointment in terms of weather - even Cochin was milder and that is saying something.

Best visited during the rains. The transformation of Wayanad from a fertile, green land to a relatively brown and hot place has been unbelievable.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:15   #8
BHPian

OK, that confirms my fears. Sorry to go off-topic, but I heard the Wildlife sanctuary (which was already brown when we visited) had also been closed down now because of dry weather?

I had planned to visit again this weekend, but now thinking of cancelling the trip :(
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:20   #9
BHPian

No, the wildlife sanctuaries are not closed. They are open for few hours a day, I think it was like that only.

Muthanga is open from 7:00 am to 10:00 am and 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
Tholpetty is open from 7 to 9 and again 3 to 5.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK, that confirms my fears. Sorry to go off-topic, but I heard the Wildlife sanctuary (which was already brown when we visited) had also been closed down now because of dry weather?

I had planned to visit again this weekend, but now thinking of cancelling the trip :(
You heard right - I read this in the newspapers too.
Old 24th February 2009, 08:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Arindam, already 10 posts over in this thread but no signs of travelogue yet. Post them fast. I am eager to read the travelogue and view the pics.

Abhi
Old 24th February 2009, 10:41   #12
BHPian

Prelude!

With great interest I was following the 'Wild in Waynad' thread, this being a place so near to Bangalore, but was not explored by me. But the dates of that meet coincided with previous engagement, and I decided we would go in the first opportunity itself. And that first opportunity looked like on 21st-22nd Feb, just two weeks after the TBHP event.

We tossed this idea to our neighbours Soumili and Nabarun (we have travelled to Ooty earlier with them), and they readily accepted. Next thing was to book the hotel. I delegated that task to other three, after chosing the hotel and the scheme.

For the hotel choice again I went ahead with choice of TBHP and chose Hotel Woodlands in Kalpetta. For the non-AC room, the rates are Rs. 780 (for room only), 825 (room + breakfast), 1215 (room + breakfast + lunch / dinner), 1650 (room + breakfast + lunch + dinner). We thought 400 odd rupees for 2 persons meal is costly and the hotel being in the town we will get other options as well and decided to go for C.P. plan, i.e., room + breakfast.

From the Wild in Wayanad thread I knew that the group managed to get some discount, so gave that info to others (you see I have delegated the task to rest three as mentioned). Though I was not hopeful as the TBHP gang was large (the website talks about corporate discount for 20 pax group), but what the heck, let's try it.

Soumili called up the hotel and enquired about the availability and then very nicely asked 'is it possible for you to give any discounts?' and obviously got the answer in negative. Gargi took over, first talked to the person at the reception, then followed with a call to the manager next day morning, and finally managed to get a 10% discount on the rates . So we booked the room, transfered the money to the account told. Asked for a mail confirmation but due to some issues, unknown to us, the hotel mail didn't reach us. However we requested for the SMS confirmation, Mr. Zibin Mathew, Manager of the hotel sent that promptly.

We planned for a packed program for two days, and thought it will be better to carry the breakfast rather than stopping for it. So 19th and 20th evening after office hours Soumili and Gargi prepared cake, chicken sandwitch and dhokla. Hmm, another added attraction.

After reading through the TBHP posts and other websites, thought of covering Muthanga WLS, Edakkal Caves on the way to Kalpetta, cover Tholpetty WLS in the evening. A hike to Chembra on next day morning, followed by Pookot lake and Laddiki before heading back to Bangalore in the afternoon. Obviously as we explored the places, the plan changed, as the time allotted was not enough in some places , details later.

On the way back from office on Friday, I went to Concorde Motors, my usual service station, got the windscreen water filled in and parking light changed (the FRS one had a blown fuse). Got the tank full in the nearest IOC petrol pump and checked the air pressure in all the tires. The Safari is ready to run.

20th Friday, bags were also packed and we hit the bed keeping in mind we would have to start by 4:00 am.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Arindam, already 10 posts over in this thread but no signs of travelogue yet. Post them fast. I am eager to read the travelogue and view the pics.

Abhi
Yesterday went in downloading the snaps and settling the accounts. Also, had to hit the bed early to compensate for the less sleep in last two days. Travelogue and pics are coming soon.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OT: The one you are referring is the Mudumalai, that has been closed since the weekend. Mudumalai has seen a few forest fires already especially around Masinagudi area. I doubt Bandipur would be any better, though Muthunga could be slightly better because have seen elephants migrating to that side of the forests post February / March possibly on the way towards Kabini.

Even more OT: Also some 3 guys have been arrested for trying to take a photo of themselves in front of a Forest fire in one of the hairpin bends. Apparently they had set the fire themselves as per eye witness who was asked to take the photo of these guys.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Riju, did not know you were around, would have loved to meet you. Now I am scared to even post a single photo knowing the snaps you are going to post.
Naada I aint posting any , if that was the case I would end up writing a travelogue about Wayanad every 2 weeks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
True. Wayanad was a disappointment in terms of weather - even Cochin was milder and that is saying something.
Its worst around the Pulpally/Mananthavady area, precisely the areas bordering Karnataka near the Kabini river basin. I was there to attend a wedding and damn for the 1st time in my lifeI complained to dad about the weather in Wayanad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Best visited during the rains. The transformation of Wayanad from a fertile, green land to a relatively brown and hot place has been unbelievable.
You bet !! I would say keep some newspapers handy if you dont like to see your car's interiors dirty.I had a tuf time last June after the rains. Everyone who steps into the car had a load of muck under their footwear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks