Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore

Well, primarily we dont plan.
And then, a trip can come from any where, any time.. without a hint.
Thats how i travel... And so does my wife
After wedding each weekend is a "get-together" weekend and it gets on the nerves after 7 in a row! Thats when you want to really drive to the ghats on the west.
After one accident, while tailing my fiesta behind the infamous tempo traveller, parents are a big NO to night driving. So then Saturday and Sunday are the only 2 days at our disposal and yes i need to travel 400 Kms atleast. Otherwise, it doesnt seem to be a long drive anymore with good roads and good cars these days.
There we go! Got up at 3.30 am on sat morning...listen to this, my usual week day waking time is 8.30 am and start to office at 10.30 and here is me getting up at 3.30 am and switching on the geyser.. And my parents still think its a dream.
I am cleaning my car at 4.30 in the morning and the gurkha comes to me and says he has not seen me around though he has been around for years... I wasnt surprised
We leave bangalore at 5 am.
Trip party : My wife and Myself.
Car : Ford Fiesta Petrol 1.6 Zxi
Destination: Still Unknown!
Since it is still 5 am, we decided to drive through the city from JP Nagar 1st phase and reached NH4 at Yashawanthapur. By now, we were decided to travel towards either Mangalore/Udupi or Sagar... Either of the places requires me to drive till Nelamangala.
I could see a big infrastructure project being done on NH4 from peenya and goes beyond Nelamangala junction. It seems to be a Flyover road for the whole stretch. I saw a Hynudai Terracan with the "Hellboy" stickering, dont know if that was the "hellboy" of team-bhp??
Once we reached Nelamangala, we thought we could as well visit Kalasa and Horanadu and maybe stay overnight at kalasa anddrive back on Sunday noon. Seemed a good deal.
We reached Yadiyur Roadside hotel where most of the KSRTC buses halt for a break, at 7 am. And guess what, we were the first customers for Idli, Vada for the day and surprisingly vada was not over-salted!
After breakfast, we continued our journey and passed through Channarayapatna, Hassan. Surprisingly the whole stretch after kunigal was filled with fog till 8.30 am, which is unusual for this time of the year. Most of the vehicles were driving with fog lamps.
We passed Hassan at 9 am and took the Hassan-Belur road. This road is as always, in pretty good condition. Nelamangala to Channarayapatna has 4 laning activity going along at a good pace. But i definitely feel the government has to plan for tommorrow rather than plan for the traffic that ply today. I mean Bangalore-Mangalore definitely requires 6 laning to a 4 lane highway. What do u guys think? Doesnt help, leave it #$%.
Once we reach belur, we take a U-turn towards the Belur town and then cross the river bridge to move towards Mudigere route. Mudigere is around 32 Kms from belur and the road is a bit narrow and the shoulder are not in good state. Allowing the vehicle to drop down the shoulders could prove nasty. But i should say the road is in drivable condition. Once u reach Mudigere, carry on towards Kottigehara. All this while after belur, there is signs of coffee estates around and the scenary turns into paddy fields with patches of coffee estates in between. The paddy is cut at this time of the year and new seedlings were yet to be sown in and hence the drive was not all that green in this area.
Then you take a right turn at a junction which leads towards Kalasa, Horanadu, Shringeri and going straight would go to Charmadi ghats towards Dharmastala.
From now the road has forests on both sides with coffee estates inbetween. Surprisingly i could see tea estates too. We reach Kalasa by around 12noon.
We visit the Kalasa temple to get the Darshan of "Kalaseshwara". Personally i like the Kalasa temple a lot for its calm.
We have lunch at Thotadooru Yatri Nivas. Lunch was a south Indian plate meals with chapathi for Rs.24 per plate.
We fill petrol in Kalasa. Since we had come this far and it was noon, we thought we may as well drive through Kudremukh sanctuary and stay overnight on the coast. Wife nods her head and off we drive towards Kudremukh. There are lots of rivers, streams flowing even in this heat and hasnt dried up yet.
We visit the Lakya dam which is a Reservior to store water on one side and also gather sediment and sand. I beleive there is 300 feet of soft moist sand there in the DAM. We couldnt see any water in this reservoir whatsoever, but could see vast area of sand. A new experience.
Then we see Gangamoola which is the birthplace of 2 rivers Tunga and Bhadra which are very close to each other, but flow in different directions then on.
As you all know, they merge as Tunga-Bhandra later on.
We reach a place called Samse which is full of Tea estates. We stopped by a tea shop which sold fresh tea powder too. Did some tea powder shopping and spent some time in the river which flows-by called Somavathi River. We had another 100 Kms to reach Udupi. We leave this place by 1.45 and started driving towards Karkala. Reached Karkala by 3.30 and udupi by 4.30 pm. We could have driven from Karkala to Udupi vis Manipal. Since we were not aware of this route we had taken the Karkala-Surla-Kaatpadi route to hit NH17.
We checkin at Kediyoor Hotel which is a very good lodge to stay in complete with AC, colour TV,very clean Bathrooms and great food. Think of Mangalore buns, Goli bhajji, Neer dosa et all !!
We relax and hit the bed till 5.45 pm surfing TV. And then we realised, we could as well go to Malpe beach and it was time. I get into my shorts and took our cameras and off we drive to Malpe which is 5 Kms from Udupi town. We spend the next hour at the beach until it was dark. We drive back to Hotel, order for Bhajji and tea. We watched BETA on some hindi channel and it was 9 pm already. Well, time for dinner!! and we were hungry already.
End of Day 1.
pramod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2009, 15:26   #2
BHPian

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-early_morning_1-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-img_6179-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-ghats_begin-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-coffee_flowers-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-around_kalasa-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-halli_angadi-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-her_idea-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-img_6186-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-img_6213-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-kudremukh_1-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-kudremukh_2-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-leaving_tea-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-malpe-desktop-resolution.jpg

This is where we had tea and did tea powder shopping
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-samse-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-tea_1-desktop-resolution.jpg
Old 5th March 2009, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ Pramod

Is the Halli Angadi Chai shop on the road to Kudremukh. Used to go to Kudremuh from Manipal via Karkala regularly to experience the fog, sunrise and the chill.

Btw good pics man!!! reminds me og my student days in Manipal
Old 5th March 2009, 16:20   #4
BHPian

Samuel, Thnx!
Actually i have mentioned 2 chai shops on the way.
One is between Kalasa and Kudremukh , in a place called Samse, where you find the Somaavathi river flow by.
The other chai shop i have mentioned is near Kottigehara, some 39 kms before Kalasa.

Regards,
Pramod
Old 5th March 2009, 16:34   #5
BHPian

More snaps from Day 1.

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0907-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0910-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0914-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0918-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0925-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0946-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0957-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0963-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0971-desktop-resolution.jpg

Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn0969-desktop-resolution.jpg
Old 5th March 2009, 16:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent picture pal. The very first one is mind blowing

Quote:
Perfect trip !
Old 5th March 2009, 16:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Nice report, I have never been Kalasa despite being so close. May be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Samuel, Thnx!
I don't think Samuel Beckett is a member here.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up and pics. Planning, planning more planning thats what we do while doing trips like this. I feel yours is a special case. Keep the pics rolling.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I don't think Samuel Beckett is a member here.
Wanted to correct but if someone wants to equate me to SB then why not

Kudremukh should be done on early morning to experience the fog and the sunrise from the dam. I remember one of my first trip on bike with inadequate woolen protection, I was riding at 20kmph and continuously wiping my glasses.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics pramod awaiting for the next set of pics
Old 6th March 2009, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pramod Travelogue along with the pictures would have made it more a treat to both mind and eyes, better than posting travelogue first and the pictures in the next post.

Nice places visit and in the 1st set of pictures the last one in which you are standing and the background is really looks stunning.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:06   #12
BHPian

Day2

Day 2
Got up at 9 am. Called up the room service for 2 continental
breakfasts. We were ready by 10.30 am.
We had to start back to bangalore atleast by 3 pm. So we had 3 to 4
hours at our disposal.
We drove to Malpe Bhandaru and clicked snaps of the fishing boats.
Unfortunately, the fisher men were on leave on first Sunday of every
month. Hence we couldnt get to see the fresh catch.
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-img_6352-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-_mg_6354-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1013-desktop-resolution.jpg

By then it was 12 noon. We planned to visit Pillikola to take a
glimpse at Romulus Whittaker's Kingcobra collection and the Lake at
that place. But i was adviced that it was atleast 70 Kms from Udupi
and i was in no mood to travel towards mangalore in that heat.
Finally we decided to go back to Udupi and have lunch at Diana.
We checked out of Kediyoor and got into Diana for lunch.
Ordered Poori Panner masala and Channa Bhatura and obviously ended
with Gudbud.
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1015-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1017-desktop-resolution.jpg
We start Udupi at 3 pm and travel towards Padubidri on the NH17 and
take left deviation towards Karkala via Shirla.
Shirla (12 Kms from Katpadi junction)
Karkala (44 Kms from Udupi on this route)
Udupi to karkala via Manipal is 36 Kms.
On the way to karkala, i could see NITTE group of colleges. Hadnt
seen it earlier.
We visit the 8 pillared temple at Karkala, the Lake and the
Gomateshwara. The climb to Gomateshwara hill has 200 odd steps and
not tiring. Clicked snaps from the top. The statue is 42 feet in
height and is not as good as the one at Shravanabelagola. But
definitely it was worth a visit.
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1032-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1036-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-img_6389-desktop-resolution.jpg

We then moved towards Mudabidri, Guruvayyanakere, Belathangadi and
Ujjire.
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1047-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1051-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1053-desktop-resolution.jpg
Finally the lofty Charmadi hills stood infront of us. Its a
sight to behold. I had not done the charmadi ghats before this and
this truely was a super experience to drive the toughest ghat in
Karnataka.
There were numerous water streams on every corner, every turn and a
number of View points.
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1063-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1073-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1086-desktop-resolution.jpg
Bangalore-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Udupi-Karkala-Charmadi-Bangalore-dscn1099-desktop-resolution.jpg

The road quality is very good, thanks to the recent tarmacing
activity! But drivers need to be aware of the 4 feet deep ditch all
the way through the ghat on the left side. On coming vehicles can
push us into it any time.
We reached kottigehara by 6.30 pm. and after that a decent road till
belur (just follow the well signed boards). From belur to Bangalore,
it was a 4 hour pedal-to-metal drive of 220 kms, with a dinner halt
at Hassan (Sri Krishna hotel).
So, we reach home at 11.30 pm and hit the bed, thinking of the monday
morning :(

Total Distance: 880 Kms
Mileage: 12 Kms/litre of Unleaded Normal petrol.
Hightlight: Charmadi ghats, Kalasa temple, Kudremukh sanctuary road.
Next trip : Talacauvery and around (coorg)
Surprises: Udupi-Mangalore NH17 stretch in great condition.
Charmadi ghat road in very good Condition
Didnt feel tired after 900 Kms in 2 days

Regards,
Pramod
Old 6th March 2009, 17:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Gudbud at Diana is a delicacy. Good you had it. Another must go place is Mitra Samaj in the Krishna Temple square, a 200 year old eatery famous for its dosa's and bullet Idli.

I'm feeling hungry now
Old 6th March 2009, 17:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice way to leave on a vacation! Nice & detailed description.

Quote:
Next trip : Talacauvery and around (coorg)
I guess you will end up in a different location rather than Tala Cauvery.
Old 6th March 2009, 18:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Pramod nice report and pics...

I ensure i stop by the tea shop and Samse but i dint like the tea(powder) last time i picked:(

& Channa batora making me hungryy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks