Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 11:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue! Your travelogue is egging me on to make a visit to Ganapatipule soon.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv0 View Post
Nice writeup!! the photos are very good. I can feel the ice cream melting in my mouth
Yes, it really melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Arindam, I am feeling like driving all the way to Mapro only for thos ice creams. Looks Yummy indeed !!
Thanks for sharing the rare pics of NDA campus at Khadakvasla. Wonderful captures !!

Waiting for more !! Pune and the sea I guess !!

Abhi
the entire drive is enjoyable. The open streches of GQ, twists and turns in the Sahyadri ranges, the tunnels near Pune, every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Arindam, Indeed great pictures, you revived the sweet old memories of Pune, I lived, studied and worked in Pune from 1987 till 1998, but now the city has changed a lot. But good old NDA looks every young and same. (:-))
thanks Aravind
Yes, the NDA look very same from an outsiders view, but my cousin who passed out in 98, was pointing out so many differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice pics there Arindam !! The MTDC Resort @ Ganapatipule is simply amazing. So much of open spaces.
Abhi
Yes, there are. The konkani huts are VFM. Only crib is about the food, it could have been so much better. Only sea beach restaurant which do not have variety of sea foods like crabs, mussels, etc. Only fishes and prawns available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Nice travelogue! Your travelogue is egging me on to make a visit to Ganapatipule soon.
Definitely worth a visit. And one suggestion, instead of using NH 17, use G'Pule - Ratnagiri internal road.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats great trip Report Arindam, Really nice writeup with pictures. Great Going!! You really deserve to own Safari which is best (Innova comes first and Safari next) for long drives. For Indian bad roads Safari is winner.

Ravi.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats great trip Report Arindam, Really nice writeup with pictures. Great Going!! You really deserve to own Safari which is best (Innova comes first and Safari next) for long drives. For Indian bad roads Safari is winner.

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi. Your update on Kodai/Munnar road is also really good. Please give more details on the Kodai to Munnar through the topstation. Is it still closed?

As I have not driven an Innova, I won't comment on that; but I am really happy with Safari's performance in these long drives.
Old 5th April 2009, 00:28   #35
BHPian

The journey back

We started from the Konkani Hut parking lot, drove a km to reach the main entry of MTDC hotel. The temple parking is just outside the hotel, we decided park inside the hotel compound instead.

A small walk lead us to the Ganapati temple. It is again a swayambhu temple, could see the bigraha a stone with three lumps, which people imagined as Ganesha.

The temple complex is very well maintained, neat and clean.
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0116.jpg

Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0118.jpg

Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0119.jpg

Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0120.jpg

Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0121.jpg

We bought laddu's (Rs 20 for a pack of 4). While coming out, I could see the room where the laddu's are prepared.

Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0122.jpg

Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0123.jpg

After little rest and water/bio-breaks, we finally departed from G'pule at 11:00 am. As verified by the resort manager for Kolhapur, I took the road to Nevali Phata, then right turn on NH17, then left turn at Pali on NH204 to Kolhapur. However after going through other threads in tbhp it would have been better to take the internal road till Ratnagiri (road in some parts run parallel to sea), and then taking the NH204 (a portion of NH 204 is common with NH17) from there. This route might be little slower but would have been worth it. We saw the turn but ignored it.

So we went straight ahead to Nevali phata, and half an hour, our roads parted - my cousins took left on NH17 to head towards Pune, and we right for Bangalore. After crossing hatkhamba we were on lookout for Pali, immediately after Pali we got the diversion for Kolhapur (NH204). NH204 is a 2 lane undivided highway with either ghat sections or tree lined sections.

Ghat section
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0135.jpg

View of the valley
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0131.jpg

Faithful companion
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0132.jpg

Treelined section
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0140.jpg

I was feeling a little sleepy, so took a short break of 5 minutes, drank water, splashed some on the face and continued refresh. Reached Kolhapur in 3 hours, took 15-20 minute to cross the entire city, asking in each major cross-section direction for NH4, to reach the NH4.

A circle in Kolhapur
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0141.jpg

We filled up the fuel here (a rupee cheaper compared to Namma Karnataka), and then had food in Jai Hind Delux Dhaba. Around 10 km from Kolhapur exit in NH4, a two storied building with lots of trucks parked in the front. Amazing quality food and total VFM - 5 tandoori rotis, 1 dal fry, 1 egg bhurji, 1 curd and 2 soft drinks costed us Rs 86/-.

By the time, we finished our lunch and started again it was 3:00 pm. And it was sure we are going to reach home earliest by midnight.

We crossed Belgaum (97 km) in one hour, and was aiming for Hubli in another hour (103 km) as we have done the same on onward journey. But this time it took 1 hour 10 min due to denser traffic between Dharwar and Hubli.

We passed by the side of the new high court in Dharwad
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0143.jpg

And spotted some wildlife on the road
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0145.jpg

It also started raining before Haveri, slowing us even more.
Run of 2000+ km: Bangalore to Mahabaleswar-Pune-Ganapatipule and back-img_0150.jpg

Continued as far as possible in the day light, and stopped only when it became dark for a tea break.

Stopped at Dobbspet Kamat for the dinner. Reached Bangalore (sighting Yeshwantpur Metro) at the stroke of midnight and reached home at 12:30. Left most of the luggages in the car and carried ourselves to home somehow, and crashed.

Last edited by arindamray : 5th April 2009 at 00:32.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:25   #36
BHPian

Great Place. I went to Ganapatipule couple of months back. No accommodation was available @ MTDC. stayed at Abhishek Resort. That too had a great view with as good as a private beach.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd October 2009 at 11:38. Reason: Please avoid...dotty..posts...like this. Thanks
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:08   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Refreshed my memories in kolhapur ! That circle is called "Tara Rani Chowk" and Treelined section was a usual site on way to panhala !!
Old 24th December 2009, 15:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Great Place. I went to Ganapatipule couple of months back. No accommodation was available @ MTDC. stayed at Abhishek Resort. That too had a great view with as good as a private beach.
Thanks Sidd25. Good to know other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Refreshed my memories in kolhapur ! That circle is called "Tara Rani Chowk" and Treelined section was a usual site on way to panhala !!
Thanks Idea1979 for providing the info.

After long time came to this thread and hence delay in thanking you guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks