Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 19:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful temples here. Thank you for these pics Bombatt and may god favor all your family wishes. My colleague was about to leave on a trip to Goa and this thread made him note all these places down:-)
Old 27th April 2009, 21:11   #47
BHPian

Well written ,very nicely described with fotos. Our kuldev is same but kuldevi is Aryadurga, Ankola. Waiting for some more pics. Refreshed my memories, Thank You.
Nice to see so many gsbs here.

Last edited by mnhegde : 27th April 2009 at 21:25.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:20   #48
BHPian

Even though I am not the kind of person to visit temples regularly, this travelogue inspires me to go and visit some temple. More than the deity, its the peace and tranquility of temples that attracts me to them. I strongly feel that the architecture of temples, placement of the idols, sound of the bells, flickering diyas, etc. generates a lot of positive energy inside the temple and near its surroundings. I have never felt such peace and tranquility at any other place other than in a temple. Also, this is amplified in the small temples on the offbeat tracks unlike the large commercialized worshiping places.

A case in example is the Nathdwara temple in Gujarat. I have visited that temple once after hearing about it and believe me the experience that I had there inside the temple was amongst one of the worst ever. People jostle, push, even hit each other to try and get a darshan of the idol. The priest and the handlers keep pushing people very aggressively to maintain the crowds, there is no queue system. Before I realise i had come out from the other end of the garbha sthaan! The next day we went to this temple ruins just outside of Nathdwara which no one visits as there is no idol and the temple was destroyed and idols mutilated by invaders. This is on the banks of some dried up lake and people rarely visit it. But believe me, the peace and energy you'd feel there is amazing as compared to the main temple. That is when i felt that my trip to Nathdwara was complete.
Old 28th April 2009, 12:35   #49
BHPian

I am planning to travel from Mangalore to Goa and back during the holidays on 1st to 3rd may 2009. Any inputs on the current road condition of NH17 will be very helpful. Also, if anyone has travelled Mangalore to Goa; please let me know the time required so that i can plan my trip accordingly. Place of visit will be Zambaulim (Damodar Temple).
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:10   #50

Bombatt and other members,

I am planning to go the same route Bangalore to Ponda/ Jambavli sometime in the next 1-2 months.

I have never gone driving on this route. I understand the route will be
Bangalore - Haveri - Shirsi - Kumta - Karwar (NH 17) - Cuncolim - Tilamola - Jambavli

Can you please let me know the conditions of the road and how long it would take?

Thanks
Old 7th January 2010, 17:07   #51

Last week, we did a trip to Goa to almost all the GSB Kuldevata temples. No photos time, next time will try and post.

Intially wanted to go to South Goa. Went through
Bangalore-Gubbi-Arsikere- Shimoga- Sagar-Honnavar- Karwar- Goa route. Basically NH 206 and NH17. Pretty good road with not too many bad stretches.

Return was from Ponda through Molem-Bidi-Kittur-Hubli-Haveri-Davangere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore.

All through NH4 except for Initial stretch of 150 km. First stretch upon entering Karnataka in Anmod (Uttara Kannada)- about 10 km is terrible. Otherwise good road. Both routes are 600km with about 11 hours driving time + breaks.

The temples we visited were
Shri Mahalakshmi - Bandora, Ponda
Shri Damodar - Zambaulim
Shri Nagesh Maharudra - Bandora, Ponda
Shri Mangesh Maharudra - Mardol, Ponda
Shri Mahalasa Narayani - Mardol, Ponda
Shri Shantadurga, Kavlem - Ponda
Shri Ramnath - Ponda
Shri Vimaleshwar - Rivona
Shri Devaki Krishna ravalnath - Marcela, Ponda
Shri Navadurga - Madkai, Ponda
Shri Kaveri Kamakshi - Shiroda
Shri Sapta Koteshwar- Narve
Shri Lakshmi Narasimha- Veling, Ponda

In addition we went to
Shri Datta Mandir, Sanquelim

If anyone wants info on the routes for these temples, let me know.
Old 7th January 2010, 18:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi that appears to be a unique travelogue to Goa
i am subscirbing it so that i can read it at ease later on.
Old 7th January 2010, 18:12   #53
BHPian

Bombatt - This is a nice travelogue and quite informative too. I am a GSB too and didn't know many things you mentioned here.

Since this has been a religious thread, I'll make a confession here. We own a house 2 minutes away from the Mahalaxmi temple in Bandora. Quite obviously I stay there whenever I am in Goa (saves me the Hotel expense ). That said, I have been a total jerk and never seen these temples from inside despite people (especially mom) telling me how beautiful they are.

Next time I am in Goa, I ought to visit these temples.

PS - Bandora and Ponda are beautiful in the rains.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:04   #54
BHPian

Hi BomBatt,
It was a lovely feeling to read your description of the spiritual Goa. Whenever I have visited Goa, visit to Ponda temples has been mandatory, cause I too am part of the saraswat clan, with Mangeshi as our kuldaivat. Ponda hill has many temples because they were shifted there to save them from the invaders (as told by my late aunt). Several other temples too can be found on hill-tops for this very reason. The culture of Goa dates back many centuries.

And your story about saraswats eating the middle portion of fish is something I too had heard in my childhood. Anyway my cousins in Goa cook the best Goan fish curry in the world, so I am planning my next trip to Goa ASAP, and will visit all the temples in your list. This time I shall also drive down to Karwar and visit the temples there too. Thanks for all the lovely pictures from Goa.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Aye Deepak or Deepakaa or Deepak mam (as in Konkani)

I felt like as a child again accompanying my parents to these temples.
great details man, Hari is wrong about GSBs, Most of them know thier heritage, i m sure his wife would also know.

Since you have given away so many of the secrets, i also add more to your disclosure

You missed one aspect. Lord Parashurama, after killing the kings 21 generations, stands on the hill and throws his Parashu (Axe) into the sea. The Sea goes behind to such a length and land appears which is not having any bloodshed on it. Parashuram brings all his relatives, family members (close & distinct) and other so called bhramins and locates them in the newly found land.

This area is now called Konkan.

During the portugese occupation, due to conversions and other politics, several community member moved either north or south of Goa. the ones who moved south retained their family names, where as the ones who moved to north adapted the name of the place they stayed on or the people who gave them support. e.g. Manjhre-kar, Tendul-kar, Mangaon-kar etc.

just my 2 cents of our great heritage

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th January 2010 at 23:48.
StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 04:09   #56
BHPian

Hello!!!

How come this travelogue is incomplete ? Hello deepak!!!!
Old 8th January 2010, 11:35   #57
BHPian

I have visited Goa twice but never visited these temples. I will make sure I will visit atleast few in the next visit. BTW a very nice travelogue and also very informative.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:28   #58
BHPian

This is a very useful travelogue for me and I hope to do the circuit of all GSB temples one day.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:35   #59
BHPian

Great travelogue Bombatt but how come you cut it off in the middle? I'm a GSB too and our Kuladev is Shri Devaki Krishna ravalnath. My ancestors brought the original idol with them when they fled goa during the Portuguese occupation and now the idol is in our family temple in Kodungallur, Kerala. I have been to Goa when I was a small kid - now your travelogue is making me think of a Goa visit. My wife has never been to Goa so she would be thrilled.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:09   #60
BHPian

I visited Zambaulim Damodar Temple on 18th April 2010. Since the travel was done alone, i travelled by KSRTC Volvo bus. The bus starts from Majestic at 6.05pm and reached Madgaon at 7.45pm. The bus reached Tumkur at 9.00pm (almost 3 hours) inview of the heavy traffic till Nelamangala. Dinner was at Kamat at Tumkur. From Madgaon took a local bus to Quepem. Took another local bus to Zambaulim and reached the Temple at 9.00am. There is no direct bus from Madgaon bus station to Damodar Temple
Had breakfast in the temple canteen and freshened up in the room alloted to me. Had darshan and spent some time in the temple. Took rest for some time and then saw the afternoon pooja at 12.30pm.

The return journey was also by KSRTC Volvo. However, while booking the ticket through Internet, there is no option to book it till Madgaon. The ticket has to be booked from Bangalore to Panaji and the same on the return journey also. Started at 3pm from Zambaulim and took a bus till Quepem, another bus to Madgaon and then again another bus to Panaji. Bus started at 6.05pm and reached Goraguntepalya at 7.00am. Dinner halt was at Kamat in Ankola.
prabhusati is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks