Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 21:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I still remember that my GPS had given me the duration of journey as a bit more than 4 hours (Non-Stop). This is where the Zetec S came onto its own. I was pushing the car at 100 MPH on straights and at about 90 into sweeping corners on a two-lane roads.
Wow! Sounds like a lot of fun!
Just curious,whats the speed limit in these places?
Old 13th April 2009, 23:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Ani, finally you gave your bosom buddy ( the daily evening wala) some rest and hauled your backside ( errhh. sorry..spirits) and wrote up this lovely travel/photo logue.

Most importantly, a revelation of your photo taking abilities, they look quite professional, almost like my style

Really beautiful countryside. No wonder our favorite stuff is born here...LOL
Old 13th April 2009, 23:50   #18
BHPian

Anirudh.. Love photos. Ive been to scotland a few times and the roads are a please to drive one.

Nitin - Mostly 50-60Mph unless its on the motorway which is 70Mph.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wow beautiful. The roads really look inviting.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:01   #20
BHPian

ani ,your last post ended with a 'to be contd'

kub karega continue
Old 14th April 2009, 16:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
ani ,your last post ended with a 'to be contd'

kub karega continue
Rajesh bhai, he is right now busy in bandobast duty arranging for his favorite items from "Spar" as 2 days in a row it is closed due to elections.
Please be patient, it will come when those supplies complete
Old 14th April 2009, 16:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Rajesh bhai, he is right now busy in bandobast duty arranging for his favorite items from "Spar" as 2 days in a row it is closed due to elections.
Please be patient, it will come when those supplies complete
Have just come back from the 2nd round trip . Will post up the remaining bit of the write-up later on in the day.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I still remember that my GPS had given me the duration of journey as a bit more than 4 hours (Non-Stop). This is where the Zetec S came onto its own. I was pushing the car at 100 MPH on straights and at about 90 into sweeping corners on a two-lane roads.
Consider yourself lucky if no cameras have snapped you. 30 mph over is considered pretty dire. Since these are not motorways, the max speed is 60mph. if you have been snapped, the police may not be able to do much if you gave a foreign address. However, the car hire co might slap a 30 pound admin charge on you for responding to the police
Old 14th April 2009, 16:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Superb pics there MC. The scenery is so serene and a sure shot stress buster. Wish I could just laze on the grass there by the riverside (with a few cold ones of course )

Of the pics posted, this is my favorite. what a lovely stretch of road.
Attached Thumbnails
Scotland Driving Trip-dsc00874.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th April 2009 at 16:20.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2009, 17:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Consider yourself lucky if no cameras have snapped you. 30 mph over is considered pretty dire. Since these are not motorways, the max speed is 60mph. if you have been snapped, the police may not be able to do much if you gave a foreign address. However, the car hire co might slap a 30 pound admin charge on you for responding to the police
He he Ajmat, I have always been very careful of the GATSO's. Only got clicked once doing 33mph in a 30 zone in my initial days in UK. In the motorways, even though the speed limit is 70mph, the traffic on the fast lane moves at about 85+. Cops know but don't say anything because it eases congestion.

Was clicked by a bobbie on the A64 while travelling from Leeds to Scarborough at 93MPH in the 70 MPH zone. Got pulled over but I told him that "I was following the traffic and didn't think even once that I was WAY over the speed limit." The guy believed me and let me go with a warning after discussing with me Indian temperatures and Goa for 10 minutes.

Cops in UK still are much more humane than in mainland Europe. God only can save you if you are caught by the Gendarmerie in France. They even time you between the tool booths and if your time between them is faster than the speed limit, expect to get fined as well .

Ok coming to Scotland, once you are past Glasgow, there are no speed camera's on the A roads and the roads is ours. But one needs to be careful as wet roads can be very treacherous.
@ n_aditya: This is nothing. The most beautiful road was through the section in Scottish Highlands from Glasgow to Inverness. Couldn't take pictures as I was on the wheel and you cannot stop on road as there are deep falls wither side.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 14th April 2009 at 17:16.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2009, 17:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

Great that the attitude remains n some places = try this in Wales!
Old 14th April 2009, 17:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Great that the attitude remains n some places = try this in Wales!
I know and have always been very careful. As a matter of fact the Chief Constable was himself caught over speeding on M1 and he had to resign. This was last year and understand since then things have cooled down in Wales.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:15   #28
BHPian

Hey those are some terrific pics! Scotland is a beautiful place esp the countryside. Edinburgh is nice too. There are a lot of places of interest there!!
Old 14th April 2009, 18:00   #29
BHPian

Wales is still very notrious for its Cameras. But on the A roads in scotland, you have to be careful of vans with cameras and not Gatso's. The reason you probably got away with the 33mph in the 30, is firstly cause your speedo always has an error on it, so you were most likely doing less than 33 anyways and all cameras have a 10%+2mph allowance.

Glad your enjoying your trips around scotland. There and the Lakedistrict are the 2 places i love.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Wales is still very notrious for its Cameras. But on the A roads in scotland, you have to be careful of vans with cameras and not Gatso's. The reason you probably got away with the 33mph in the 30, is firstly cause your speedo always has an error on it, so you were most likely doing less than 33 anyways and all cameras have a 10%+2mph allowance.
Nope I didn't get away . I had to go to the court and pay the GBP60 fine as the police couldn't process fixed penalty on an international driving license.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks