Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala

Went on a short road trip, as above. Was supposed to be a longer trip with more destinations, particularly beaches of west coast, but the weather was spoilsport, being so humid and sticky, though not hot temperature wise. All enthusiasm drained off once we left the hills of Madikeri and landed in Subramanya. Wifey and kids were longing to get back to the comfort of higher elevantions! Perhaps remaining areas will be covered during monsoons/ bit after though by then I suppose the roads would be non-existent.. those used to Bangalore/Mysore weather, please consider this in your planning.

We crossed Madikeri both on the way up and down, but never did much of looking around there because we have a small coffee estate there and therefore can consider ourselves native . The idea was to explore the DK district a bit.

The return trip was in the night, after Sullia by which time it was dark and raining too, all the way to Kushalnagar. Originally wanted to stay and continue after daylight. There was absolutely no worthwhile palce to stay (at least visible from highway), from the time we enter the Madikeri road near Buntwal, up to Madikeri itself, a distance of 100km. If anyone knows of any good joints, would love to keep in mind for next trip.

Was really worried, because have not done any such night driving, that too with narrow ghat roads, rain & misty streets, darkness adding to risks. But everything went smooth, since low traffic and easy visibility of oncoming vehicles becaue of head lights compensates for other problems. I also think even rash drivers drive a bit more carefully at night, particularly lorries, Sumos (not a flame bait!)

Anyway, back to the front, I mean the trip itself.

First stop was Subramanya. Since this spot has been covered adequately with much nicer pictures than I can ever hope to capture, shall go to next item on agenda.

We stayed there one night at a hotel called Mayura Residency, damn cheap for non-ac room Rs 400 (Ac being not available) and spartan and reasonably clean.

Trip from Subramanya to Darmastala (about 60km) through some nice roads was really memorable. Posting some pictures taken enroute.

Special mention must be made of a nice dosa stall abt 6km before Darmastala. Some of the best dosas you can ever eat, along with great tasting Pongal & also Majjige (buttermilk) served by a homely crew. Cheap too.

The other pictures are of the nice route to Darmastala.

The photo of the Darmastala temple is show how heartless, tasteless and incompetent bureaucrats can spoil the appearnce of a beautiful temple and nearby buildings by building an ugly PWD style gargoyle right next to it. I hope they pull it down.

After Darmastala we went to a place called Jamalabad Fort, because it was listed in some tour guide book and also I wanted to see some non-temple tourist spot. The drive was interesting because the place is a well kept secret, unmarked from most roads as you approach from Darmastala. On the way back we did discover that it is marked if you approach from the road that eventually joins the Bangalore - Mangalore highway near Laila (which is about 15km bef. the junction of Mysore-Madikeri road as you go towards Bangalore). Anyway it not worth a long trip to vist becaue what you see in the picture is all there is.

Anyway at this Laila junction we briefly toyed with the idea of turning right towards Mangalore/Udupi but it was vetoed down at least for now! So off we went left to Madikeri side.
Attached Thumbnails
Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0844.jpg  

Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0845.jpg  

Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0847.jpg  

Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0855.jpg  

Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0859.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 10:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats good experience. Load more photos. How is road condition between Madikeri - Sullya ?

Jamalabad fort is very good spot for trekkers. I heard guide can be arranged to do that. By seeing that hill which is in between Ujjire and Beltangadi it would be one of difficult trekking spot.

That Dosa camp is tempting I will keep in mind next time when I visit that area.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good snaps. It is very well clear from the snap why you want the structure next to the temple to be pulled down. It will help if you can post details of the route with landmarks, distance and time taken
Old 30th April 2009, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Here are a couple more...did not take too many.

Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0857.jpg
Short trip to Subramanya/Darmastala-dscf0858.jpg

The road condition is quite good considering its location & ghat though not highway standards. I think they are laying new road from Buntwala side just like they did from Mysore side, but progress is slow around Madikeri, both sides. After There used to be huge potholes between Kushalnagar and Madikeri, which too have been filled up temporarily so the drive is decent. So vehicles drive on thier lane instead of going everywhere simply to avoid pothole and causing accidents/scares.

I did not see any hills close to Jamalabad Fort that seems to be like a residential area with houses practically all around. May be I missed. But there are hills, enough of them, in that vicinity being Western Ghat area so I am sure trekking would be fun.
Old 30th April 2009, 15:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Traxter the 1st picture which you have posted is Kukke Subramanya Swamy Temple and not Dharmastala.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Yes, sorry about that. Actually the building set in sharp contrast to the nice DK style tiled roof structures of the temple and surrounding buildings is quite jarring.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:18   #7
BHPian

Madikeri to Kukke Subramanya route information

I am planning to go from Madikeri to Subramanya soon.
I know the route from Madikeri to Sullya but after that I am not sure of the direction to Subramanya from there. And more importantly how the road conditions is. Any info please?
Old 1st October 2009, 13:00   #8
MCR
BHPian

Good travalogue Traxter.

@ mohan41 - After sullya if you go around 10 kms, there is a bus shelter. Near here you have to turn right for subrahmanya (there is a board giving the direction, but not very visible). From this place, subrahmanya is around 36 kms.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Thanks MCR. Any idea how is the road condition of late? I will be driving my Getz.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:13   #10
MCR
BHPian

@ mohan41
Pls check this link which gives some info on the routes that can be taken.
www.Subrahmanyamatha.org

You can take the route Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Subrahmanya.

Road upto kushalnagar is good. From kushalnagar be prepared for a bumpy ride upto Madikeri. From Madikeri the roads upto sampaje are again not very good but manageable. from Sampaje the road is good but narrow and also curvy. Watch out for the Piaggio Ape three wheelers from sampaje onwards till subrahmanya, they can turn up from no where and also on the wrong side sometimes. From sullya and upto subrahmanya the road is very narrow and watchout for on coming vehicles, especially the jeeps with KA-21 registration. These jeeps are driven by localites who belive the road is entirely theirs. Also watchout for road edges, as they are missing in many places and the road edge ends with a big hole or some rock protruding. Otherwise Getz should keep you in good comfort.

Enjoy your trip.

Sorry Traxter for hijacking your thread.

Last edited by MCR : 1st October 2009 at 14:16.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nice travelogue. Really we need more appreciation of how not to destroy the vista of a cultural property. All these heritage properties and the area marked nearby should be developed by PWD in alignment with another independent authority like ASI or someone else.

I have done this section from NH17 side, starting from Karwar. Need to do this section from the Bangalore side.

Also I had no issues while driving to Madekeri via Hunsur. The road repair and tarring was ongoing. Though this was quite some time back. I thought, this should have improved by now.

Waiting for more pictures.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2009 at 14:26.
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:26   #12
BHPian

Its raining very heavy in Subramanya and surrounding regions for last 3-4 days. River is about to overflow the bridge in subramanya.
I have cancelled my trip scheduled this morning :(
Old 5th October 2009, 12:08   #13
BHPian

Yesterday I came back from Subramanya to Bangalore (via Gundya-Sakleshpur). The river was not overflowing but it was quite near to the bridge. Rains were very little yesterday (at least until noon). On the way back it was raining mildly till Sakleshpur.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:44   #14
BHPian

Hello,
I am planning for a trip to Subramanya/Dharmastala on the 25, 26 and 27 of december. Please let me know the best way to travel and the road conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks