Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 14:14   #46
BHPian

Amazing pics akbaree. Very nice travelogue with great details.
Old 1st June 2009, 14:32   #47
BANNED

You should be hosting travelogues on TV

I mean it Hope you believe me.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Amazing pics akbaree. Very nice travelogue with great details.
Thanks Murali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You should be hosting travelogues on TV
I mean it Hope you believe me.
Hrishi, appreciation feels good. Thanks for the claps.

And I like your suggestion. Believe me, I would like to believe you. Now, only if the all the TV audiences were you...
Old 1st June 2009, 21:05   #49
BHPian

Nalanda Mahavihara II

Monasteries
All monasteries more or less follow the same master plan consisting of a spacious open courtyard, enclosed by a covered verandah, leading to living rooms of the monks on all sides. They have a shrine on the wall opposite to the entrance (facing the entrance). There is platform in front of shrine from which discourses and lectures would have been delivered.

Almost all the monasteries have their own uniqueness in terms of their history and construction, essentially still following the master plan. Moreover each monastery has several layers of construction activity. The difference in bricks used and how the new structure imposes itself on the old structure give testimony to this. Layered water ducts also indicate several layers of construction. At the time of sack, all the monasteries would have had more than one floor as each of them has a staircase.

Monastery 1a and 1b
These are the only two monasteries facing north. They are among the oldest in the lot and belong to the Gupta era.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5130.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5114.jpg

The rooms of this monastery don’t have provision of beds. They have provision for the lamps though.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5118.jpg

You can see an open courtyard leading to stairs that in turn leading to covered Verandah (the pillar marks indicate that the missing pillars may have been done in wood or may be not.). The bow structure at the stairs indicate that the monastery belongs to the Gupta era (bow was their royal symbol).
Trails of Magadh-dscn5131.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5119.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5117.jpg

A closer look at the Laboratory (actually could also have been community kitchen)
Trails of Magadh-dscn5123.jpg

The finish of the wall and bricks
Trails of Magadh-dscn5120.jpg

Look at the size of bricks
Trails of Magadh-dscn5126.jpg

This is first time in my entire life that my aunt has requested a click. I happily oblige. She is happiest to be at Nalanda.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5125.jpg

Monastery 1

Trails of Magadh-dscn5133.jpg
9 layers of construction; can it get more complicated? Let me tell you that this monastery is almost impossible to navigate and comprehend. I will let pictures do the taking rather

Trails of Magadh-dscn5134.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5135.jpg
There would have been idol here. And wherever you see those black burnt bricks, those are marks left by Khilji. He had actually tried (and almost succeeded) in burning the whole place down.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5147.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5136.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5137.jpg

A staircase leading to no where
Trails of Magadh-dscn5132.jpg

Staircases leading to every direction
Trails of Magadh-dscn5202.jpg

The rooms on the first floor have provision for two beds indicating that they are shared rooms. The rooms on the ground floor must have been used by seniors and that on the first floor by juniors.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5144.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5145.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5153.jpg
By this time, it was already 2:00 pm and my aunt gave up. The heat was excruciating and the stretched open ruins were not helping at all. We were getting out of our senses. My aunt decided to rest under a tree as I went around to next few monasteries, taking pictures. I still wonder how and where so many pillars have disappeared. Were they really all done in wood and got burnt? I don't know.

A small Caitya
Trails of Magadh-dscn5150.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5149.jpg

Monasteries 6 & 7
Trails of Magadh-dscn5151.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5154.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5159.jpg

Can you see different layers of construction?
Trails of Magadh-dscn5157.jpg

I too give up now. Although there are quite a few monasteries left, I turn towards the temples.

Temple site 12
Trails of Magadh-dscn5195.jpg

This is amazing structure. But I have only taken a couple of pictures. I was just wondering at the marvel.

Those pillars from Gupta era; finally I get to see pillars.
[/u]Trails of Magadh-dscn5198.jpg

So many votive stupas around this temple
Trails of Magadh-dscn5199.jpg

To be continued…
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:36   #50
BHPian

Nalanda Mahavihara III

The temple site 2 deserves a special mention. It is refreshingly different from any other structure here.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5174.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5176.jpg

I think this would have been King Harsa’s contribution. This is the only structure that has stone engravings and the stone that is not available in Nalanda. After successful experimentation with images, idols, and pillars, this would have been early experiments to take to stone carving on temples.

The entire dado of this temple is decorated with scenes from Panchatantra, Jatakamala, Puranik scenes, Ramayana, et al.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5160.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5163.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5161.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5168.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5171.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5172.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5173.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5177.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5178.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5180.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5183.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5184.jpg

The famed Darpana Sundari in the making
Trails of Magadh-dscn5186.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5187.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5189.jpg

Now what is this?
Trails of Magadh-dscn5190.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5191.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5192.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5193.jpg

About the Museum
The museum is worth a visit. It has some amazing idols and finds. The sad part is that you will be left wanting for more. The museum official inform me that they have more than 12000 items lying in the godown (they call it reserve) that they are unable to display for lack of space. The ASI is sitting on a proposal to consturct a more modern and bigger museum at this place for last several years.

We leave with heavy heart
The place is one great marvel. And it needs time to explore. My suggestion would be to give it at least one full day (8 hours). It is challenging to discover intricacies and the beauty lies there in. Nevertheless 5 hours that we spent at the site were worth a lifetime. If dreams do come true, I will be coming back here in any winter.

To be continued…
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:59   #51
BHPian

Pawapuri

We now leave for Pawapuri. Pawapuri is another 20 kilometers from Nalanda. Pawapuri is where Mahavira attained Nirvana. After Mahavira’s cremation, there was a huge demand among His devotees for His ashes. They took away whatever they can lay their hands on. This created a huge pit at that place. Today the pit has been converted into a lake and there stands a temple in the middle of the lake.

Nothing much to say here, only to be felt. I haven’t been to a more peaceful place.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5206.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5208.jpg

The place that marks Mahavira’s Nirvana
Trails of Magadh-dscn5211.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5214.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5218.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5219.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5221.jpg

We then leave for Rajgir, reaching our hotel at 6:30pm.

I had promised the priest of the Jain temple that I would come to the Naulakha temple in the evening. The priest is actually looking for more alms. No one can help these folks with their greed.

The Naulakha temple is where the Jain dharamsala is. The Jain pilgrims coming to Rajgir to visit the 26 temples on the 5 hills generally stay in this dharamsala. The temple has been recently constructed; actually moved from another location.
Munisuvratswami’s idol is beautiful
Trails of Magadh-dscn5226.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5229.jpg

This idol is ancient and was found on the Vaibhargiri hill, but is now housed in the temple
Trails of Magadh-dscn5231.jpg

Don't miss the glass hall beneath the main temple premise.

It has been extremely busy day: an early morning bath at Brahma Kund, Trek to Vaibhargiri, Nalanda, Pawapuri, and Naulakha temple. I hit the bed with lot of content and peace.

Tomorrow we leave for Vaisali…

To be continued…

Last edited by akbaree : 2nd June 2009 at 14:04.
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:19   #52
BHPian

Amazing travelogue Akbaree ! It is a virtual trip to Magadh.

Mesmerizing photos. I wonder how did you manage to post so many photos. I had to refresh the page several times to load all the photos ! Some of the pictures on this page remind me of ruins of Hampi.

I voted for a 5 star rating and this thread really deserves it.

Great effort Akbaree
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Amazing travelogue Akbaree ! It is a virtual trip to Magadh.

Mesmerizing photos. I wonder how did you manage to post so many photos. I had to refresh the page several times to load all the photos ! Some of the pictures on this page remind me of ruins of Hampi.

Great effort Akbaree
Thanks so much and I am happy that some of you are actually liking the travelogue.

I had clicked almost 10 GB of pictures in just 7 days during this trip. And I don't have the skills to shoot in the RAW mode. I have made a concious effort not to load thread with unnecessary photographs as well as to reduce the size of each file to around 100kb. I look forward to all suggestions if you folks have felt that there were unnecessary photographs.
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

There are very few people like you on board who study the place rather than just visit.

I had read something about Nalanda and Bhagawan Gautam Buddha during school days and forgot everything about it till reading this travelogue.
Its really learning experience by reading this travelogue .
Now, i had more knowledge about the same.

Thanks Akbaree.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
There are very few people like you on board who study the place rather than just visit.

I had read something about Nalanda and Bhagawan Gautam Buddha during school days and forgot everything about it till reading this travelogue.
Its really learning experience by reading this travelogue .
Now, i had more knowledge about the same.

Thanks Akbaree.
Some places are actually worth knowing as you visit them. Magadh could be one of the best examples.

Thanks for you kind words and my apologies if you feel this travelogue rivals a school textbook.

Last edited by akbaree : 4th June 2009 at 10:21.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
my apologies if you feel this travelogue rivals a school textbook.
my apologies if you feel that my words made you think that it rivals school textbook.

i am waiting for further post.

i think, this is the travelogue which i read for some knowledge and not for just T p.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 4th June 2009 at 10:50.
Old 4th June 2009, 13:52   #57
BHPian

Vaishali – I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
i am waiting for further post.
Here I go...

Vaishali is around 180 kilometers from Rajgir. We have to go via Patna (55 kilometers north west of Patna). From Patna we continued on NH83 till Hajipur where we took a left turn towards Lalganj. From Hajipur, it’s a state road till Vaishali. The road is fairly decent and almost the entire stretch has mango groves on both the sides. Unfortunately we were a bit early to enjoy ripe mangoes.

Trails of Magadh-arriving-vaishali.jpg

Like Barabar hills, I haven’t read much about Vaishali. Vaishali was added to itinerary only after arriving at Bodh Gaya and after talking to the tourism office. The kingdom of Vaishali was never part of Magadh. Actually one of the reasons that Ajatshatru moved his capital from Rajgir to Patliputra was to better face the challenge posed by frequent pitched battles with the Licchavis. Vaishali finds mention in Ramayan as capital of King Vishal.

Mahavira was born in Vaishali and Buddha frequented Vaishali. Some texts suggest that Vaishali has also seen confrontation between the followers of Mahavira and Buddha in those times. Buddha is believed to have welcomed a lot of Mahavira’s followers into his philosophy while giving his last sermon and announcing his mahaparinirvana here. Buddha had then left for Kushisnagar where he attained mahaparinirvana. Vaishali also hosted the 2nd great Buddhist council (after the 1st one that was held at Saptaparni caves in Rajgir).

But the most interesting fact about Vaishali is that historians (based on ancient texts and archaeological findings) suggest that couple of centuries before Buddha and Mahavira, the Mahajanapada of Vajjis (of which Licchavis were part of) have created world's first democracy with an elected assembly of representatives. Vaishali was the capital of this Mahajanapad and Sanskrit was the official language.

We arrived at Vaishali at around lunch time. We had plans for an overnight stay here and leaving for Patna next day early morning. But the government hotel (that was inaugurated by Rabri Devi) lies in shambles.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5250.jpg

There’s no restaurant but the folks at the hotel were very cordial and got lunch arranged for us. We took an hour’s rest while waiting for lunch.

The lake as seen from the our room’s balcony
Trails of Magadh-dscn5247.jpg
This lake is also known as “Abhishek Pushkarni” (Coronation Tank). The water of the lake was considered sacred and the oath taking ceremony for the elected representatives of Vajjis/Licchavis used to happen at this lake.

After the lunch, we visited the museum. The museum at Vaishali also has some marvelous finds and should be on your must visit list if you happen to visit Vaishali.

As we walk towards the museum which is just 100 meters from the hotel…
Trails of Magadh-dscn5240.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5239.jpg
As you can see that Sir Alexander Cunningham’s name figure prominently here as well.

After the museum we walk down to the Relic Stupa.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5242.jpg
After the cremation of Buddha, it is believed that there were 8 contenders for His relics and so the relics were divided into 8 parts. One of the them happen to be the Licchavis. They built a small mud stupa in Vaishali to honor the relics. The stupa was later expanded by the kings and dynasties that followed.

That’s the relic stupa for us. An earthern pot believed to containing part of Buddha’s ashes has been recovered from this relic stupa. That earthern pot is presently housed in Patna Museum.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5243.jpg

Mango trees are everywhere.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5244.jpg

The relic stupa... the earther pot was discovered right at the center.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5246.jpg

We then walk back to our hotel as we will need the car to travel to rest of the places in Vaishali. It appeared lonely to be visiting these places without a guide and just then our hotel manager offered to be our guide. As we discovered later, he turns out to be a great person.

The first place we visited was Kolhua which is around 2 kilometers from the hotel.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5253.jpg

A beautiful stupa.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5254.jpg
This stupa has been constructed over the corporeal remains of Ananda. Ananda was part of the core disciple team of Buddha. He is believed to be a memory whiz and after the mahaparinirvana of Buddha helped immensely in codification of His teachings as he remembered everything.

Ashoka’s pillar: Ashoka built this pillar to honor the place where Buddha gave his last sermon. This is the very place where Buddha gave his last sermon. And the Lion’s head is pointing in the direction in which Buddha left after giving his last sermon.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5255.jpg

This is the only Ashokan pillar that has no damages whatsoever.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5260.jpg

If you noticed there is a bus full of Thai tourists. And to my surprise a beautiful girl walks up to us and asks my aunt if she would mind a photograph with her. Of course my aunt obliged. At 73 years I envy my aunt’s charm. I am not sure if I will even live that long.

This water tank is one of the 8 legends in Buddhists text and is believed to have been dug by monkeys.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5262.jpg

All put together.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5263.jpg

There are two monasteries as well.
One of them is swastika shaped. It was build for nuns. That reminds me of Amrapali - the illustrious royal courtesan of Vaishali. According to some legends Amrapali was the first women arahant. Her unwavering devotion to Buddha, have Buddha change his mind and allow women arahants in to Dharma and Sangha. Our hotel manager is quite unhappy that the birth place of Amrapali (identified some couple of kilometers away) has seen no attention from government).
Trails of Magadh-dscn5265.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5266.jpg

Just next to Swastika shaped monastery is Kutagarshala. Buddha used to stay in Kutagarshala while at Vaishali. It would have been expanded into a monastery in later periods.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5268.jpg

Trails of Magadh-dscn5269.jpg

The Thai group was having a long prayer meeting at the stupa.
Trails of Magadh-dscn5270.jpg

To be continued…
Old 4th June 2009, 16:56   #58
BHPian

Spellbinding stuff!
( A five star rating has been dispatched)
Old 4th June 2009, 18:21   #59
BHPian

I am wordless. Never knew there was so much history to be seen and experienced in Bihar.
Old 4th June 2009, 18:29   #60
BHPian

One word "Amazing " .Have never seen such Pictures of BIHAR !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks