Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 14:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@cuttingcrew: don't worry about it - unless you are a BHPian (50 posts) your posts will be verified before it reflects here. So it will take time.
The criteria has been cut down to 25 post IIRC.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:10   #17
BHPian

Ashwinsid, enjoyed reading your travelogue. Detailed description and nice photographs.

Glad to see the link to my Ooty travelogue right on top ! It was nice go through my own travelogue after more than a year. Thanks for bringing back the memories of that trip. I am very sorry I did not respond to your query.

I am somewhat surprised and concerned with your description of Ooty. At the time of our visit, it was not that crowded and relatively clean and we all enjoyed our trip. I guess, month of May is not the right time to visit Ooty.

I too feel Ooty is bit hyped up and Kodai is anytime better than Ooty.
Old 31st May 2009, 16:52   #18
BHPian

Well written Aswin,

I dont know why many people on tbhp talk about Hotel Nahar for food. We had south indian Thali which was really pathetic. We also had dinner at Shinkows, a chinese restaurant. I dont want to comment about it now, will explain in detail in my travelogue.

I am also coming with my travelogue soon!
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:00   #19
BHPian

@Bombatt, @ VIV1984, Thanks for your comments. VIV, waiting for your travelogue.

I too feel Nahar is not worth all the praise.
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:06   #20
BHPian

I haven't eaten at Nahar, but I did like the food at Shinkows. I have been there only twice - 2003 was the most recent, and before that in the mid 80's as a kid. Things may have changed now for all I know.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:06   #21
BHPian

Hi Ashwin,

This is such a wonderfully detailed report; thank you for the effort.

It is so unfortunate how Ooty has been deteriorating as a destination and I, having spent my school years there in the 80's, understand your exasperation. Take Pykara for example: I remember we had been to Pykara for one of our annual outward bound camps and I still carry fond memories of fishing for trouts down the Pykara river, trekking along the reservoir banks and storytelling sessions around bonfires at night. No tourists, no litter, no traffic jams! (IIRC, it was in the late 90's that the local administration started plugging Pykara as a tourist attraction, probably in an effort to reduce the crowds around Ooty lake, and it has been downhill ever since.)

As someone mentioned, currently Ooty's weather is the only attraction that remains, unless one heads for the beaten path - Red Hills, Destiny, or properties around Kotagiri (not many though).

About Nahar food: I too was surprised at the good reviews the Nahar food has received here on TBHP, as we always considered the food just about average. Shinkows was always our favourite (despite the occassional stomach runs!) and last year during a reunion, we found the food seems to have improved since our school days ;-). Regretably, the Kurinji cafe (opp. Chellarams) has opted to go 'modern'; used to serve some of the best dosas and coffee I have had!

Cheers,
Old 5th February 2010, 11:23   #22
BHPian

guys any reviews on the road status. planning a trip this weekend via coimbatore to ooty and madhumalai.

pls recommend some good eat outs. places to visit.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:34   #23
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Pal. Nice to know another person who cares for the envi and vociferously expresses his dismay at the way homosapiens mess up with the same. The monkey photo was good and the comment very thought provoking.

Dhyanalingam is a fab place. I shall load a showstopper photo of Dhyanalingam path later tonight.
Old 5th February 2010, 23:15   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's a pic of the road to Dhyanalingam, just outside the entrance! Shot this 4 years back.

Ooty, Coonoor, Kotagiri, Isha Yoga Centre-From Bangalore-dhyanalingam-path.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks