Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I heard there are Coral Reefs around Rameshwaram. Did you happen to go to any of them ?
No sir. Couldn't make it. May be next time. Umm, need to collect info on the location of them.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:26   #17
BHPian

Great snaps and a nice write up! This is in my list of places to visit and has come at a right time. I can plan for a trip during the year end.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Chikku Bukku Railu pics are awesome..what an angle to have shot the pics from.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:04   #19
BHPian

the pongal vada sambar looks amazing. I am sure it tasted fantastic. Nice travelogue and good pics of the train. Must be scary sitting in the train and seeing only water on either side!
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi mjothi: Nice travelogue and photographs
reminded me of my trip of South India (including Rameshwaram) with my parents way back in 1984-85. i was in the 7th standard at that time. there was no road bridge to Rameshwarm. Train was the only way to go there. i still remember the train journey.
we had also seen the railway bridge opening up to allow the boats to pass through.
Amazing construction.

waiting for next post/details about your trip...
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Your travelogue reminded my journey to this area.

Had you visited Bibhishan temple on the way to Dhanushyakodi?
Any toll tax at Pamban bridge/Indira setu?
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I hope we get to see the ruins of the old railway station and the church at dhanushkodi.
its coming up next soon.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Great snaps and a nice write up! This is in my list of places to visit and has come at a right time. I can plan for a trip during the year end.
Make sure you stay one night in there. It will be more fun. There are so many places surrounding this place. All would be nice to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Chikku Bukku Railu pics are awesome..what an angle to have shot the pics from.
Thanks boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
the pongal vada sambar looks amazing. I am sure it tasted fantastic. Nice travelogue and good pics of the train. Must be scary sitting in the train and seeing only water on either side!
Pongal was really tasty. I really want to travel in train once in that section. I am sure it would be a unique experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi mjothi: Nice travelogue and photographs
reminded me of my trip of South India (including Rameshwaram) with my parents way back in 1984-85. i was in the 7th standard at that time. there was no road bridge to Rameshwarm. Train was the only way to go there. i still remember the train journey.
we had also seen the railway bridge opening up to allow the boats to pass through.
Amazing construction.

waiting for next post/details about your trip...
ya, I was eager to see those bridges open. may be we should get some local inputs to know the timing, if any, for the same and plan accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Your travelogue reminded my journey to this area.

Had you visited Bibhishan temple on the way to Dhanushyakodi?
Any toll tax at Pamban bridge/Indira setu?
No we did not go to any temple on teh way. I saw the temple from the main road. But since we were planning for Ramar Padham and Devipattinam (Navagraha temple) we gave a pass to this.

No toll anywhere around here. Just parking charges near temple & Dhanuskodi.

Last edited by mjothi : 2nd June 2009 at 16:37.
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:03   #23
BHPian

How can I forget Jigarthanda/Jillthanda.
mjothi, are you a native of Madurai or just married to a Madurai girl ?
Lucky guy because:
"Namma Madurai karanga ella paasakkaara pasanga"
Adra Sakka, Adra Sakka,Adra Sakka

Last edited by GSMINC : 2nd June 2009 at 20:04.
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Once done with lunch, we headed to Danuskodi. The route to Danuskodi was really awesome. The roads are covered with sands, both side of the roads are full of trees and we could also see the sea on both sides. In some places, a small wall is being constructed to stop water & sand coming to roads.

You will be greeted by those blue & green waves from sea, trying to catch you. We parked the vehicle there and took a tempo to reach the Gulf of Mannar. The public transport here is the tempo, which are all converted to 4x4. They charge 80rs for both up & down per person.

Enough of talking, lets see the clicks

Road all along sea
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9522.jpg

Greeting waves
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9526.jpg

Modern 4x4

Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9529.jpg

This is how you get-in

Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9531.jpg

Mud, Mud Mud everywhere
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9537.jpg
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9540.jpg
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9546.jpg

Once a Train Station - Long long ago!!!
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9565.jpg

Ruins of the old Church
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9571.jpg

Looking through the eyes of ruins
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9576.jpg

How's it!
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9577.jpg

Lonely boat
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9591.jpg

Under repair - Need a good A.S.S, any clue?
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9594.jpg
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9597.jpg

Trees/branches - A beauty, with or without leaves!
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9615.jpg

We saw a dead tortise on the shore. We heard that its been lying there from morning. I was surprised that no one took any initiative to dispose it off. Why I was surprised is, this is exactly opposite to the police post

Tortise - Dead :(
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9620.jpg
Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-img_9622.jpg

After seeing all these, we left the place without heart to leave. What to do, all beginnings does have an end. Right?

Its time to say good bye to these history and go to even older historical places. Yes, next stop is Ramar Paadham.

See you there shortly...
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:34   #25
BHPian

That's really sad to see a dead turtle. Must have got caught in the fishing trailer and they must have dumped it at shore. Sad no one had a heart to give it a proper burial.
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ramar Paadham is actually located on a small hill. More than the scenery I loved the wind over there. Lovely.

You will see the foot prints of Lord Rama in here. People do offer flowers and pooja to that.

It also gives a very good view of entire Rameswaram, Shiv Temple and sea.

I did not do any clicks in here. Surprising, but thats true.

Next stop was to Devipatinam. Its accessible from Ramnad town. You need to take a deviation to the right from the town to reach the temple. You have the Navagraham temple here.

Previously it used to be accessible only by boats. Boatmen will take you in boat and do round about the statues (ruined ones). But now you have bridge constructed and people can directly walk along and do pooja. The water level will make it difficult to see all the nne statues. This time I was able to see only 5. Rest are all inside water.

Some clicks from the temple.

Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-devipatinam1.jpg

Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-devipatinam2.jpg

Madurai, Rameswaram & Gulf of Mannar-devipatinam3.jpg
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:29   #27
BHPian

Can't have enough of the pics.. keep them coming please.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Where are the pics of the old post office and the ruins of the temple ? Listen up mate, we need more pics of dhanuskodi .

BTW didn't you walk up to the end point there ? The locals say its something like 16kms or so from there to Sri-lanka.
Another thing is that this small town was off the electricity grid then, don't know if it has changed lately. Most of the huts there used to have televisions running off batteries. I still remember on our way back to rameshwaram we had about 6-8 batteries loaded into our jeep which were to be recharged there.

Once again thanks for bringing up some wonderful memories of this place, I can never have enough of it.The very sight of this place takes you back to into history coz most of it is in ruins.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Did you visit the house where Abdul Kalam was born? His relatives still live there.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Where are the pics of the old post office and the ruins of the temple ? Listen up mate, we need more pics of dhanuskodi .

BTW didn't you walk up to the end point there ? The locals say its something like 16kms or so from there to Sri-lanka.
Another thing is that this small town was off the electricity grid then, don't know if it has changed lately. Most of the huts there used to have televisions running off batteries. I still remember on our way back to rameshwaram we had about 6-8 batteries loaded into our jeep which were to be recharged there.

Once again thanks for bringing up some wonderful memories of this place, I can never have enough of it.The very sight of this place takes you back to into history coz most of it is in ruins.
Still I dont see any sight of electricity. I heard that they use kerosene lamps.

No I could not do much deepr into the place. The tempo wala was making everyone to return faster. May be next time, I plan to hire a vehicle just for us. So, we can spent more time in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Did you visit the house where Abdul Kalam was born? His relatives still live there.
No. Again, time constraint. The local friends were telling that his house is still the same as it used to be years before. Still with those same walls which are not even cemented. Forget paints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks