Team-BHP - Hail Storm in Ooty
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Hail Storm in Ooty (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/59812-hail-storm-ooty.html)

I was driving from Ooty to Kotagiri on the 1st. of May.
Some pictures attached.

great pics. Does this happens regularly?
hail storms are quite common in the dooars (WB), and we used to enjoy that a lot. Brings back my childhood memories.

Is that ice? Never seen so much ice in a hailstorm. And it's only in one small area?

Do you have a close-up picture of the ice? Just getting too curious seeing the pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuttingcrew (Post 1332612)
great pics. Does this happens regularly?
hail storms are quite common in the dooars (WB), and we used to enjoy that a lot. Brings back my childhood memories.

It is not that regular, but maybe happens 3-4 times in a year. We have been having similiar hailstorms in bangalore aswell atleast last year we had maybe couple of times.

what was the outside temperature at that time?

Your a lucky man to experience hailstorm in the middle of a summer. Superb pictures:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetracer_919 (Post 1332709)
what was the outside temperature at that time?

The temp. Was not much, maybe around 18 to 20 deg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1332782)
Your a lucky man to experience hailstorm in the middle of a summer. Superb pictures:)

We had gone to the botanical garden, I did not find any parking space. My wife watching the huge crowd decided not to visit the garden. Then we decided to go for a drive. Thats how we got lucky. My kids son ( 6 ) & daughter ( 4 ) enjoyed it a lot.

Nice to the hail storm :) I still rem we used to collect all the ice and store in a bucket bank in 80's. It normally happen in Summer.

Nice! thats a lot of hail! Looks like about 2-5cm wide chunks of ice.

Poor farmers in that area. Esp if there is an coffee plantations. Ruins one years wait for the harvest. Who said weather change does not effect us

Hey such a nice pics..this looks like a mini snow storm..anyone for skiing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillram (Post 1334884)
Hey such a nice pics..this looks like a mini snow storm..anyone for skiing?

i plan to go to ooty on 13th June. whats the weather like?..what're the good hotels to look for? ..peace and quiet is my idea of this holiday.

Did you get any dents on your car.

Had a violent one here and top surface of the car got pockmarked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 1334942)
Did you get any dents on your car.

Had a violent one here and top surface of the car got pockmarked.

Luckily I did not get any dents though I was worried & took stops under trees when they come down heavily.

Nice pics particularly the 4th. The background is fantastic. Good that nothing happened to your car and windscreen in particular with such a huge hails.