Team-BHP - Onboard USS Yorktown
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Onboard USS Yorktown (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/60014-onboard-uss-yorktown.html)

This is about the last trip I did before returning from US. Charleston is a historic town, with respect to the US Civil War and the first shots of the civil war was supposedly fired here. The Charleston harbour also houses a naval museum complete with an aircraft carrier and a submarine.

In this photoblog, I am bringing you the USS Yorktown. There is not much to narrate, so enjoy the pics.

Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0054-large.jpg

More coming soon..

Bring it on Brother :)

Keep it going. I love to read of WW2 machines and events. You have good choice visiting this museum!clap:

Lucky you. I admire the Americans for preserving their (not so long) history so well. Where are more pics?

Dushmish

Lucky you! I've been on the USS Lexington twice, and could't have enough of it.
I used to be an avid viewer of a series on the History channel,and in one episode they showed how the Yamato was attacked, and how the Yorktown played a role in the events.

Lets carry on with the pictures.

Profile of USS Yorktown
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0132-large.jpg

The approach jetty
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0050-large.jpg

Inside the hangar area
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0056-large.jpg

First turbojet engine
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0061-large.jpg

The engine itself
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0059-large.jpg

The Corsair
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0066-large.jpg

The Corsair specs
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0068-large.jpg

The Hellcat
Onboard USS Yorktown-p5020083-large.jpg

Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0065-large.jpg

Hellcat specs - awesome kill ratio!!
Onboard USS Yorktown-dsc_0064-large.jpg

History Channel on T-BHP! :)

Keep them coming.

Was this ship anchored in Kolkata from a long time? Or they have come for some other naval exercises? Nice pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 1339093)
Was this ship anchored in Kolkata from a long time? Or they have come for some other naval exercises? Nice pics.

i doubt if the above pics are from calcutta, must be somewhere in the us itself.

Nice pics dude..any pics of the upper deck,runway etc?

Quote:

An aircraft carrier in kolkata ???:Shockked: Could an aircraft ply the shallow Hooghly waters ?

As I had mentioned in the opening post, I visited this ship when I was in US. It is anchored at Charleston port.

Will post more pics of the upper deck and face to face with a F-14.

Quote:

Easily the most hilariously innocent question ever asked on team-bhp !!! clap:
Great pictures Sourabh.
Slightly off topic but I was thinking, if this ship was anywhere in India one of the first things they would have ensured is "no photography inside" notice put up prominently. I wonder why we are so paranoic about photography. You cannot take photographs inside most of the museums in India. I wonder why?
And despite all this so called security we can't even keep the country's first Nobel prize safe.

Fantastic pictures. I wish I could touch and feel a real life war plane of WWII (Corsair and Hellcat) It is like seeing history come alive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 1339203)
i doubt if the above pics are from calcutta, must be somewhere in the us itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk456 (Post 1339292)
An aircraft carrier in kolkata ???:Shockked: Could an aircraft ply the shallow Hooghly waters ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 1339407)
Easily the most hilariously innocent question ever asked on team-bhp !!! clap:

Ok Guys...should have read the first sentence properly. :Frustrati