Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Faizalbhai, while I could spot the D300, what lens was mounted on it? And which L series glass was being used and on which model of Canon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Old 26th August 2009, 14:30   #17
BHPian

Beautiful pics.

Some questions; excuse me if I appear naive. Do they give permission to venture into the forest on one's own vehicle without a guide? Did you have a guide with you?
Old 26th August 2009, 14:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Beautiful pics.

Some questions; excuse me if I appear naive. Do they give permission to venture into the forest on one's own vehicle without a guide? Did you have a guide with you?
+1 on that..
the inside road looks amazing, can we go deep inside the jungle in our own Gypsy or do we need special permission or a forest dept approved guide/ranger to be with us? i had been to mudumalai in the second week of this month, and would love to go there again and if possible venture a bit inside rather that driving on the highway followed by goons driving fast with load music and non stop honking!!
btw. amazing pics @ Faizalbhai. Keep them coming.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I got it, sir.

I will practice this technique.

Thanks for your input.
See if your manual says something like AE Lock. Generally the scheme suggested by Fazal works, but be prepared to have the sky washed out. Even a P&S camera like Canon Powershot G series ( 3, 4, 5, 6, etc ) had AE lock as well as different metering modes with manual modes for you to play around.

Fazal, nice pictures. Is the problem of out focus because of AutoFocus being slow in the lens? Or you used manual focus mode? And you are using L series lens with D300? Is there any specific reason why you spent money on L Series lens and an average body?

Nainar

Nainar
Old 27th August 2009, 17:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

L series is a Canon lens and can't be used on D300 which is a Nikon body. And since when has a D300 been an average body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Fazal, nice pictures. Is the problem of out focus because of AutoFocus being slow in the lens? Or you used manual focus mode? And you are using L series lens with D300? Is there any specific reason why you spent money on L Series lens and an average body?

Nainar

Nainar
Old 28th August 2009, 10:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
L series is a Canon lens and can't be used on D300 which is a Nikon body. And since when has a D300 been an average body?
Sorry, my bad! I saw an EOS strap with L Series lens connected to it and presumed the earlier poster meant EOS 300D.

Nikon 300 definitely is not in that level probably between EOS 5D and 40D. I stand corrected.

Nainar
Old 28th August 2009, 11:51   #22
BHPian

Great pics! The place looks beautiful in monsoon.

Hmm.. I really need to get out of the office and go on a long long drive!!
Old 31st August 2009, 15:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Beautiful pics.

Pjay,
Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been busy lately hence not on T-BHP.
They give you permission if you have a 4X4 petrol vehicle but then you have to take a forest ranger or guard with you and many areas are out of bounds, like the core area. It is not necessary that you can spot wildlife only there, on my last visit I had sighted the tiger in the buffer area at 8:30 AM and many more other residents.

Quote:
See if your manual says something like AE Lock. Generally the scheme suggested by Fazal works, but be prepared to have the sky washed out. Even a P&S camera like Canon Powershot G series ( 3, 4, 5, 6, etc ) had AE lock as well as different metering modes with manual modes for you to play around.

Fazal, nice pictures. Is the problem of out focus because of AutoFocus
being slow in the lens? Or you used manual focus mode? And you are using L series lens with D300? Is there any specific reason why you spent money on L Series lens and an average body?

Nainar
Nainar
Anainar,
You are spot-on here, but I personally feel I have more control with my manual technique.
The Canon 400mm Ultra Sound Motor USM is too fast in focusing, notice the leaves in the original thread on this forum (Hyd-Bandipur_Madumalai-Nagarhole) where I shot the bear and cub, the point focus should have been in the dead centre but it was not , hence the camera focused on the leaves of the tree on the outer side of the frame, for me lesson learnt. The out of focus bear and cub on this thread were shot through a Nikon and the reason for the subject going out of focus I feel was, the lens focussed on the windshield,through it was shot the bear.
The camera body is not at all average, it is a Canon D20, which delivers
5 frames per second and has a shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second and a very strudy megnisium alloy body.
I chose this camera for wildlife shoots as it is not a full frame camera and the 1.6 crop factor makes my 400mm equal to 640mm without any loss in quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Faizalbhai, while I could spot the D300, what lens was mounted on it? And which L series glass was being used and on which model of Canon?
Gd 1418,
A Canon lens will not fit on a Nikon and vice versa.
The body I have detailed above and the lens is, Canon 400mm L USM IS (image stabilizer) and it works wonders in low light and slow shutter speeds at hand held photography.
Regards,
Old 31st August 2009, 16:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Anainar,
The camera body is not at all average, it is a Canon D20, which delivers
5 frames per second and has a shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second and a very strudy megnisium alloy body.
I chose this camera for wildlife shoots as it is not a full frame camera and the 1.6 crop factor makes my 400mm equal to 640mm without any loss in quality.
Like I said earlier I stand corrected as I presumed the earlier poster saw D300/350 the Rebel grade body and was wondering. Even though it is a golden saying that put your money in a very good lens and rest will fall in place. And that 1.6 crop factor does increase my zoom range of 70-200/4L.

Yes, I do own a D20 bought in 2005 and it does an excellent job for the my kind of photography. I do own the older Elan 7E, film camera body as well and my respect for Canon went many folds, when, having not used that camera body for more than three years which was bought in 1999 used it till 2005 before I bought D20, had to use it again in 2009, and bam! It worked flawlessly.

Nainar
Old 31st August 2009, 22:11   #25
BHPian

Great wild life photographic there. I hope you have still some more to post.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Great wild life photographic there. I hope you have still some more to post.
Chauhan,
Thanks. Hope you have seen this thread, which contains a good collection of wildlife pics. from Nagarahole.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...garhole-5.html
And yes there is one more camera, pics. that I have to upload on this thread which is from a Nikon 400mm ED lens. Our team had four cameras, two for wildlife shoots, mine and Dr. Venkat's and one Nikon for habitat pics only and one point and shoot Nikon for miscellaneous pics.

Quote:
Like I said earlier I stand corrected as I presumed the earlier poster saw D300/350 the Rebel grade body and was wondering...

Nainar
Nainar,
The 20D is a no frills camera and I too have been using this one since about 3 years and it still is in scratch less condition. Someday when I have enough funds I will go in for a full frame camera (Canon, of course) as I felt the need for two bodies and wider L series lens, apart from the zoom I was using.

Regards,
Old 1st September 2009, 13:49   #27
BHPian

Awesome shots there Fazal. Truly inspiring and great clarity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks