Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 16:16   #16
BHPian

Oh

Pramod, You have done a great help to me by posting this. I am going to Seetanadi river rafting on 29th Aug, and planing to stay at Vihangama.

Last edited by mohang_j : 13th August 2009 at 16:35.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue. Its really great to drive around in Malnad during monsoons.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:54   #18
BHPian

Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Pramod,

great photogprahs
some of the roads appear familiar

Malenadu during the mungaru male is great.
did you encounter any ?
The week we travelled, that is 2 weekends ago, the rains gods were on a vacation
Agumbe, yes it was consantly raining and was completely covered with clouds and visibility was less than 5 to 6 feet.
But other places, it was typical malnad rains... drizzling. But it was beautiful.

All,
Will post the Charmadi, Sringeri and Udupi snaps tonight.
Old 13th August 2009, 21:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics of Vihangama. Certainly rought back the memories of the days we visited there with the group.
Old 14th August 2009, 00:01   #20
BHPian

Sringeri - Udupi - Charmadi

Sringeri is 58 Kms from Theerthalli. We drive to Koppa on NH13 and then take a deviation towards Sringeri.
Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-383-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-385-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-382-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7781-desktop-resolution.jpg

We directly drive to the temple. Its already 4 pm. Earlier , plan was to Stay overnight here and visit the temple again in the morning and return back to Bangalore Early.
We visit the temple, watch Tunga flow... Large Mahsheer fish are at the surface feeding over the "Kadale puri" (Puffed rice..they love it)
We are awaiting the opening of the gates towards the Aashram across the River. Its an island on which the High Priest of Sringeri resides, performs Pooja. They conduct a "BhagavadGeetha Recitation competition, wherein, a person who could chant all the 18 "Adhyaayas" without any mistakes would go home richer by 21 grand.
On a plant next to me, i see a Camouflaged bright green Vine Snake. It is trying to extend itself from one plant with the support of its rear quarter and manages to reach a branch which is a good 2 feet away! Amazing feat ,...i think.

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7789-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7795-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7796-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7805-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7811-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7816-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-392-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-398-desktop-resolution.jpg

We are back in the car by 6.30 pm. Suddenly my mom is not to be found around. I panic for a min. Wife and dad look calm. This made me wonder even further! Then i turn back and a familiar person with Unfamiliar stuff in hand is walking towards the car... Mom has done 300 Rs worth of Jackfruit chips to be distributed to her beloved sisters! (btw, Sringeri is famous for Jackfruit chips.. Everyday, private buses come to bangalore with sacks of it to be distributed in Bangalore's local outlets).
I think of the route we need to take to Udupi. I felt going through Kudremukh may be a good idea. But thought of enquiring somebody familiar with the roads around. The parking security guard advices us to take Agumbe-Hebri route to Udupi.. And we are on our way.
30 Kms from there, we reach Agumbe (yet another time)... no difference, same clouds, same rain... Wat is different this time is, its darker. Its 7.30 pm. We navigate the thick fog at 20 Kmph with headlight switched off and fog lamps doing their duty. I cant see anything 5 feet ahead. But i see the left shoulder of the road and i have to be quick to react. My mom is already chanting and praying.
Finally we reach the sunset point and i see vehicular movement in the opposite direction. Everyone's now relaxed... and yes, this road is familiar to us.
We finally reach Udupi via Someshwara, Hebri, Manipal and checked in at Kediyoor Hotel. 2 AC rooms and we are a bit tired now. We order room service, hog, sleep. tick.

Day3:
We wake up at 8 am. Decided to give a quick visit to Malpe. In the next 30 min, we are already at Malpe beach. Thick Grey clouds, very low ones, they can pour any time now. Before we decided to test the waters, all the 4 of us are back in the car, parked close to the beach... Now, we watch Malpe with the wipers on.. Things change too quickly to my liking.

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-clouds1-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-boat-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7820-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-monsoon1-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-monsoon1-desktop-resolution.jpg

We are back at the hotel. Again Room service, Neer Dosa,.... 10 Rupee tip... And yes, every order, there is a new waiter... To clean up after we finish eating, another waiter... They know how to make me spend 100 bucks on tips.

We then visit udupi temple and head to Diana for lunch.

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-411-desktop-resolution.jpg

We are set to leave Udupi back top Bangalore at 1.30 pm.

We decide to take charmadi. HEad towards Manipal. KMC college is seen on the way, I remember my visit to the KMC, the zoological museum here in Manipal. Samurai would know wat i am talking about.

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-414-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-theerthalli2009-415-desktop-resolution.jpg

Charmadi ghats were awesome again, a waterfall on every curve.

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7845-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-ford1-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7854-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-monsson2-desktop-resolution.jpg

Vihangama -- Theerthalli --Agumbe--Udupi--Charmadi-img_7872-desktop-resolution.jpg

We finally reach bangalore via Belur, Hassan, Kunigal, NICE road. (11 pm)

Total Distance : 1150 Kms
Mileage: 12.5 kmpl

Regards
Pramod
Old 14th August 2009, 09:14   #21
BHPian

Pramod, very good travelogue. Nice pics and very descriptive. Best thing was the way the trip was planned... over a phone call

I have now put Vihangama as a must see place. Will try to visit the place sometime soon.

Can you please put up a route map which you had followed?
Old 14th August 2009, 10:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good travelogue, simple, quality time with family, must be quite refreshing for you.

Roads in Manipal seems to have improved ?
Old 14th August 2009, 12:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Good travelogue, simple, quality time with family, must be quite refreshing for you.

Roads in Manipal seems to have improved ?
Roads in Manipal are pathetic.

@Krishna --> Yes, try out this place. Would be good if u do visit before december.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:38   #24
BHPian

Nice travelogue Pramod! The Gajanur dam water muddy in color just reminds me of slush in "gadde" during the latest trip
Waiting for that here.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip Pramod, Reminds me of my trip to agumbe . I think its time for me to revisit .

Pramod
Old 18th August 2009, 10:53   #26
BHPian

Beautiful pictures, and great narration!
The western ghats feel like heaven in the monsoons, and many people shy away from the heaven fearing rains!
Old 18th August 2009, 11:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

wow Pramod super agide travelogue remember the one you had posted last year too...good read and nice pics

Thatte idli hotel is my breakfast halst aswell, but i make sure i park my car down the slope hehehe

hmm seeing the pics of Malnad and beach reminds me of home...its been long!!!

Lastly CHarmadi seems to be in good shape, guess makes sense taking this route?
Old 18th August 2009, 11:28   #28
BHPian

Hi Pramod,

How is the road condition from Ujire-Charmadi-upto Belur? I am travelling this Friday from Bangalore to Mangalore. Plan is to go either via Madikeri or Charmadi. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 18th August 2009, 12:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and the foodlooks yummy.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:26   #30
BHPian

Very good travelogue .there is a good palce to dine at udupi, 'Kediyur' hotel .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks