Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 09:58   #1
BHPian

My South trip

Just returned from an exhilarating 12 day 3700 km trip to the South in my Ford Fusion.The car behaved very well with a full load of five and five bags in the boot. I did not have to remove the rear parcel tray. I used the recommended tyre pressures of 37 and 41 (front and rear) and got good pick up and power. The day by day schedule was as under -

day one - Pune to Bangalore 850 km . Started at 6 am and reached at 8 pm. Bad stretches between Ranebennur and Chitradurga. two drivers. Had halts at Karad, Davengere.

day two - Bangalore to Kodai via Palani with the great 60 km ghat..it was green and clouds swirled all over the upper hill reaches. About 400 km

day three - spent time in Kodai. Stayed at Villa Retreat. these guys are crazy about asking for the bill in between your stay!

day four - Kodai (saw the Pillar rocks and devil's kitchen as clouds the previous day meant you could not see these places) and headed for Madurai. Jut made it to the Meenakshi temple and it was difficult to reach the temple in the car. Reached Kanyakumari (good road mostly) by sunset and saw the sunset. Stayed at Vivekanandapuram. About 350 km

day five - Sunrise at the private V puram beach, Ferry to Rock Memorial (spend some time meditating here!) and then on to Kovalam. Spent an evening at the Samudra beach. About 75 km

day six - TO Kumarakom Houseboat. Lot of water hyacinth that needs to be cleared away). 240 km or so.

day seven - To Thekkady. Stayed inside the wild life area and traveled on the same lake and the same boats that had such a tragic mishap yesterday. Saw lot of birds and animals like Sambar, boar, bison and a few elephants.

day eight - Jungle trek for two hrs. Leech protection by extra socks and tobacco powder sprinkled when they attack you. Proceeded to Munnar which is less than 100 km but full of turning- twisting roads. A jeep ride took us into uncharted terrain through tea gardens to the highest tea factory in the world at nearly 7000 feet thro safari roads and clouds....

day nine - Munnar environs....the Rajmalai area, and two dams en route to Top station. The weather was clouds, but little rain.

day ten - Munnar to Ooty! 220 km approximately. via Coimbatore, Coonoor. Stayed in a heritage house (Lymond). Snooty but the decor is delightful.

day eleven - Ooty to Mysore (Dassera day) ..but skipped the procession due to crowds and headed for Chitradurga (nearly 400 km in all including two massive ghats).

day twelve - Left Chitradurga at 0630 and in Pune by 4,30 pm....I went and took delivery of my new Spark thereafter!!

Ford Fusion Oct 2006. Trip - 3700 km, 12 days, 240 litres of petrol (despite 400 km or so of ghats).
Old 1st October 2009, 11:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip you had, but I suppose this should be posted under Travelogue and not under Test Drives and Ownership report section. Link: Travelogues - Team-BHP

And yes, some pics would be great too

Last edited by _raVan_ : 1st October 2009 at 11:29.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Start sounds good, waiting for more to follow. Travelled by the same boat in Thekkady mmm... There was nothing wrong with boat from what we heard from media but take yourself lucky, if you have noticed basic precaution like life jacket, guards, do-dont's briefing etc is not there in Thekkady ( was the same way from start)

Last edited by gadadhar : 1st October 2009 at 11:54. Reason: typo
Old 1st October 2009, 14:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Long trip! Waiting for pictures.

How much mileage did you get? Is your Fusion a petrol or TDCi?

For the petrol version, Ford guys asked me to maintain a tyre pressure of 31/32 (Front/Back).
37/41 seems high to me.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2009 at 14:41. Reason: Formatting
Old 1st October 2009, 15:42   #5
BHPian

It is 37/41 tyre pressure for a full load 95 plus luggage) as per manual and 31/31 for load less than three people.

The petrol avg works out to 3700/240 = over 15.

Will send snaps in due course..
Old 1st October 2009, 19:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
It is 37/41 tyre pressure for a full load 95 plus luggage) as per manual and 31/31 for load less than three people.

The petrol avg works out to 3700/240 = over 15.

Will send snaps in due course..
I always filled 31/31 on all wheels. Although mostly its driven with two people only. So I guess its fine. Did not realize about overload !

On the mileage same here. I have see 15-16 with AC and up to 17-18 without AC.

About Kodai, I had been to Villa Retreat myself 2 years back. Same experience on the billing thing, now that you mention about it!
But the only I liked about that place was the view from place. It was amazing. And coker's walk (If I am spelling it right) was just next door!

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2009 at 19:14.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:08   #7
BHPian

Snaps from Kodai

Tried to post snaps but they are just above the 1 MB limit per snap....perhaps I will try and compress them when I have more time and post them...

this one is a view from Kodai hotel we stayed in.
Attached Thumbnails
My South trip-p9202549.jpg  

Last edited by frequentflyer : 1st October 2009 at 21:24. Reason: photos not uploaded
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Probably, you will not forget your thekkady trip as yesterday's tragedy will come in front whenever you think about your visit.
Very Sad, as it happened in a tourist place like Thekkady
The unfortunate lost their lives for some one's mistake - !
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:40   #9
BHPian

Thekkady tragedy can happen in any boat in India as they all have similar safety and other systems for loading and moving with passengers. Lessons from Thekkady are rarely replicated in other such ferries.

This was taken at Munnar last month en route to Kullukamalai tea estate..I hope it comes in the message!

Views in Munnar en route to tea gardens..the hills, the clouds, the jeepable road....it was all ethereal. The second half of September is a good time to visit Munnar.
Attached Thumbnails
My South trip-p9253259.jpg  

My South trip-p9253269.jpg  

My South trip-p9253277.jpg  

My South trip-p9253318.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2009 at 08:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks