Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 16:19   #31
oss
BHPian

Did you try the Muay Thai - the Thai kick-boxing ?!
Old 24th October 2009, 18:01   #32
Team-BHP Support

Krabi Ready Reckoner

Always plan for two-three whole days- I say whole since most tours are for the entire day. Arrive/ depart either early morning or late if possible

Taxi's - official taxi's all have a fixed rate from airport. Lot of civilian cars used as taxis. Rates normally displyed. Used tuk -tuks for short journeys. Normally 20baht per/person around town

Tours - Book from the hotel. Going direct is not always cheaper. Never beleive the taxi person - make an informed decision

Food - street food rocks, plenty of western restaraunts but local carts have more charm and add to the experience

Shopping - except for coral items etc , don't bother until you go to Bangkok

Recommended - a waterproof bag when you go out to see

Bargaining - state your price / you have more power when you are buying more than one. Asking for best price is a loser's game. State and be prepared to walk
Old 24th October 2009, 18:11   #33
Team-BHP Support

Bangkok Ready Reckoner

Taxi's are plentyful and reasonable. Always avoid the ones that park outside the hotel waiting for a deal. FLag a passing one with the red sign on. Written directions help. Tolls are extra. 3 pax and more means taxi may be cheaper than a BTS/MRT but not always faster

Tuk Tuk- Rates almost the same or around 2/3 a taxi.Negotiate first. Recommneded for short distances

Wat Arun - avoid tours - just take a taxi there

Palace complex - go to the Emerald Buddha first. They suddenly close for functions sometimes

Airport Duty Free - A little more than Bangalore - food and water is expensive. Not as relaxing like Singapore if you are stuck for a few hours

Visa - best to get beforehand.

Shopping - MBK - everything, Platinum - clothes, plenty more. Chattachuk worth it on a weekend but kids will get fed up. Give your wives a strolley full of baht to go there and they will be your slave for life

Food - try the carts, else Food court in Siam Paragon is good and reasonable. Food court - 5 avenue in MBK is a little pricey

Tours - Grand Palace worth it. Remaining - decide based on need for transportation to the places, Sima Niramit show is a "don't miss"

Stay - try and stay near an MRT/BTS station
Old 27th October 2009, 15:06   #34
BHPian

Nice Writeup Ajmat, My Next year destination is Krabi , BTW , howcome there are no pics of the Cars in Siam Paragon Mall ???

Raghu.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:14   #35
BHPian

This is a very informative thread, Ajmat! Nice pics and thanks for all the tips on getting your way around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I remember buying a water ottle but could not find it. Go through security and I am thirsty. A long walk, really long walk later, I find a food court and buy water at 40 baht (7 baht in town!). I open my hand baggage to find the bottle I bought in town. So much for security!
At Changi, Singapore, I entered the aircraft, casually noticed that I had a cigarette lighter in my pocket, came out to the aerobridge, tried to give the lighter to someone who looked like security, he refused to take it first! Then I asked him to just throw it away and then he took it from me. Indeed, so much for security!
Old 27th October 2009, 17:17   #36
BHPian

How much did the tour cost you overall in INR?

Note from Team BHP Support Team:
Please do not type in All Caps.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:32   #37
Team-BHP Support

Nice captures and narratives! Brings back some good ol memories when i roamed around this place

Gulwing rated at ***** lucky guy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks