Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 23:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Nice photos.

The TVMalai to Tindivanam stretch has been repaired and is much better compared to the stretch till TV Malai from Krishnagiri. As you rightly say, there are hardly any eateries on this whole stretch. Even in TV Malai, one can struggle to find a decent place.

Had been TVMalai 2 months back. We had reached the place at 10 start at 6 from home. We also had planned to go till Tindivanam visit the Mailam temple on the NH45. Thats when I got a taste of this stretch for the first time.

As an info:
Folks who want to go the NH45 side of Tindivanam, can use a stretch that hits Mailam directly bypassing Tindivanam.

There is narrow road (but very good road) which joins NH45 to NH66. This hits the NH66 just before Gingee.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:40   #17
BHPian

Continuing...
Day 3: 27-Dec-09 (Sunday)

Today our plan was
i) See the sunrise from the beach
ii) Visit Auroville
iii) Shopping in the evening

I woke up at 6 AM, but wife had severe throat pain so could not accompany me. After freshening up, headed towards the beach.
The early morning calm with only the sound of waves was really soothing. I could see a few fishermen in the sea. Later on few families too joined to enjoy the sunrise.

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc02975.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc02976.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc02978.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc02995.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc02999.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03001.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03002.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03004.jpg

When I returned to the hotel room, found wife had woken up but still suffering from throat pain. Fortunately she felt better after gargling and went down for breakfast at about 9:30 AM.
After breakfast we proceeded for Auroville. The roads were crowded and the traffic was slow (understandably, it being a Sunday) upto the ECR junction. The traffic eased a bit on ECR. As I was not very sure which left turn to take, I was more focussed on the signboards. After driving for about 10 Km, i finally spotted the signboard directing to take the left turn.
The road though narrow was in good condition. On driving down for another 3 Kms, we reached Auroville.
Parking the vehicle was a nightmare. Vehicles were parked very haphazardly with no parking attendant in the interiors to guide us. After 5 minutes of searching finally found a spot near the bus parking area.
It was very neat inside Auroville with guide maps at strategic points. We tried our luck for passes to the Matri Mandir, but came to know that all passes had been issued and the earliest date available was 4-Jan-10.
Was disappointed in not making arrangements earlier.
Anyways went around the Auroville. Did some shopping from the shops inside. I felt the rates of some of the items (especially clothing) were very reasonable. Here are some of the photos taken inside Auroville.

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03015.jpg
With son in Auroville

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03016.jpg
Another view of the gallery

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03017.jpg
A miniature model of the Matri Mandir

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03018.jpg
The wind mill inside Auroville

We came out of Auroville by 1:30 PM. On our way back we spotted many shops selling fake jewellery as well as gemstones. Wife was looking for some ear rings and we stopped over one of the shops. However, instead of buying ear rings she ended up buying something else.
Was feeling hungry by this time and stopped at Pizzeria for lunch. This joint is run by an Italian gentleman and the pizza tasted yummy. It was recommended by one of our friends who had visited Pondicherry in November. We finished lunch by about 2:45. Son was pressing me for taking him to Bharati Park and we obliged.
The Sunday crowd had started to build up by then and was lucky enough to get a decent parking space in one of the bylanes.
We spent about an hour in Bharati Park and headed for the hotel. (Wife's throat pain had started again and wanted some rest before we went out for dinner in the evening)
Some photographs taken in Bharati Park.

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03022.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03029.jpg

Took rest for about a hour and freshened up. Was relieved to learn that wife's throat pain was better after the rest and gargling. Taking reflection of our horrendous experience on the first day at the restaurant, we decided to leave early. We planned to have dinner at the Rendezvous. The food (especially the sea food) was delicious. As we had finished early decided to take a FINAL STROLL on the beach road. We were saddened as we had to leave this beautful place the next day. After 15 minutes of walk and enjoying the mild breeze, with a heavy heart proceeded towards our resort.

End of Day 3.

Will be continued....
Old 13th January 2010, 23:16   #18
BHPian

Continuing....
Day 4: 28-Dec-09 (Monday)

Finally the dreaded day had arrived. We had to pack up and leave. My initial plan was to leave the resort by 10 AM so that we could be at home by 5:30 in the evening. However, woke up late and after finishing breakfast, the watch read 10 AM. Completed the remaining packing and the formalities of check out.

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03013.jpg

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03014.jpg
The Innova ready to take us to our destination

So finally we set off at around 11 AM. After starting the Innova, wife requested me to visit for one last time to Nehru Street as she wanted to check out some necklace. Reluctantly went to Nehru Street and after a quick purchase FINALLY started towards namma Bengaluru.
The return journey was rather uneventful. However I would definitely like to mention the condition of NH 66 on the return journey. I was driving rather apprehensively after Chengam. But was pleasantly surprised to see most of the pot holes filled up. As we proceeded further, I came to know that some repair work was being done. Kudos to the authorities. At last the road will be driveable.

Stopped over at a roadside dhaba in Uthangarai. Though it was wife's idea to stop for lunch, it was me who took the most fillings .
Tanked up at the adjacent Indian Oil Bunk and restarted.
Krishnagiri toll gate was a smooth sail. However got stuck in the traffic near Electronics City for about half an hour.
Finally reached sweet home at around 8 PM.

Overall a very satisfying trip.

A weekend trip to Pondicherry-dsc03046.jpg
This photo should sum up our experience of the trip

Misses - plan to cover in the next trip
1. Gingee Fort
2. Botanical Garden in Pondicherry
3. Some French restaurants in Pondicherry

Signing off

Samish
Old 14th January 2010, 21:50   #19
cLJ
BHPian

Very nice! Enjoying holidays, away from work, always put you in relaxation mode.

Waiting for more picturesm if you have.

CLJ
Old 15th January 2010, 21:41   #20
BHPian

Thank you cLJ. I have posted most of the relevant pictures.
So I guess this is it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks