Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 11:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Sriram, if you can wait till Monday I can tell you how Valparai is, I would be in Top Slip & Valparai from Sunday to Wednesday, as HVK says it could be dry and brown though the travel agency who booked my accommodation had informed that rains have started. You have enough time in hand with your plan to comfortably include Parambikulam, Valparai, Athirampally, Cochin.

HVK sir, who is the one who is doing the Jeep safari between Sholayar and Parambikulam, I would love to take it even if my family do not want to come.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:20   #77
Senior - BHPian

Check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-trekkers.html
Old 14th May 2010, 13:08   #78
BHPian

Thanks HVK!

Srikanth - I look forward to your inputs/travelogue.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:06   #79
BHPian

Hi,

Is it possible to start from Coimbatore at say around 5 am, drive through Valparai (spent some time there) and reach Chalakudy by 6 pm or so (halting in between for some sight seeing/taking snaps etc )? All this because of lack of availability of accomodation anywhere in Valparai owing to the world Tamil conference.

Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:15   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Hi,

Is it possible to start from Coimbatore at say around 5 am, drive through Valparai (spent some time there) and reach Chalakudy by 6 pm or so (halting in between for some sight seeing/taking snaps etc )? All this because of lack of availability of accomodation anywhere in Valparai owing to the world Tamil conference.

Thanks.
Yes, easily. You should reach Valparai from Coimbatore in 2-3 hours and from there to Chalakudy is 3 hours. Rest of day is available for spending at Valparai. Plan in such a way that you can stop over at Athirapalli on the way.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:43   #81
BHPian

Thanks to pypkmsrikanth - for the contacts for the Valparai cottages:

1. Stanmore = Rs.4400 per room (we needed 2 rooms) + Rs.1275 (for a >5yrs kid) - lunch/bkfast/dinner veg/non-veg included. Not available because of the World Tamil Conference (WTC) from June 23-27 2009 - will be available next week. Anyway too expensive for us.

2. Glendale - renovation going on for all the cottages (waterfall) and will open next month.

3. Green Hills - All booked by govt this week(end) for WTC. Deluxe-Rs 1050 / Standard Rs.750/- The staff there said every hotel in CBE district is reserved by the TN govt for the conference.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:51   #82
BHPian

Thanks HVKumar. This gives us the confidence to go all the way in a day. Any hotel where we can stay in Kerala (close to Vazhachal/Athirampally) - because as you can see the TN hotels are out of bounds. One other question: When can I enter the checkpost to Valparai (think its near Aliyar Dam) ? What are the timings? Is it open all the time? Any permits? Can we walk over the Aliyar Dam? Opening hours?
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

There are no restrictions on the checkpost towards Valparai from Pollachi side. If you start at 5 AM from Coimbatore though you might have to give Aliyar Dam a skip, though you could still have an early morning view of it from Loams View Point (on the way to Valparai in the ghats). You could finish the Karumalai Balaji temple for which you will have to take a left before Ayarpadi Jn. (well marked), then come back to the main road and take a left at Rotti Kadai Jn. towards Sholayar Dam. The same road takes you to Athirampally Falls. Please note that you would have no places to stop to have food on the way between Valparai and Athirapally, not that Valparai has many places to eat, so suggest you carry your own food. Also I think entry to Athirampally falls is closed at 5 PM.

Keep in mind we took about 3 hours to see all other places excluding Sholayar Dam with a local driver, so I doubt if you would be able to see all the places in Valparai and then Athirampally in the same day. One possible option for you is to park your car at Valparai take a local taxi finish all the sight seeing points without wasting time finding your way through the maze of tea estates, then pick up your car and off you are towards Athirampally.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:27   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
and off you are towards Athirampally.
And please remember that between Malakkappara check post and the Vazhachal check post (in the Valparai - Athirappally route) there are no mobile signals and traffic is sparse in that route.

Best to cross this before dusk.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:18   #85
BHPian

Jeev - the best part of Valparai is staying in one of those estate bungalows, enjoy their hospitality and soak yourself among the lush green environs in a laid back manner (atleast thats what I enjoyed most). There are no must visit spots in Valparai per se - Ideally, if you can, you must push out your trip till you can get reservation in one of the bungalows (there's also an NEPC estate bungalow).

Otherwise, you can start early, visit Aliyar and Monkey falls on the way and reach Valparai for lunch by noon. Leave no later than 1pm so you can comfortably reach Athirapally by 4:30-5pm. Pl note Athirapally falls closes by 5:30pm. Much has been said about this famed route, so if you want to enjoy the ride, you must target to spend atleast 4-5hrs on this route alone. It's way too deserted and make sure you have enough supplies in terms of food before venturing out from Valparai.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:52   #86
Senior - BHPian

Which one did you stay at Sriram, would be great to know the feedback of the various properties at Valparai through the forum members. No doubts the best way to enjoy Valparai is staying at the Estate bungalows.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:58   #87
BHPian

hey Sreekanth - Thanks to you, I stayed at Woodbriar property too. Found Stanmore bit expensive, so settled for Villa Fair. It's a bit closer to town, but I guess that's Ok as you get exclusivity as well as easy access to town when needed. The hospitality was AWESOME! Food was amazing - we're pure veg and they catered well to our taste buds. Though we booked only 2 rooms, being offseason, there was nobody else and we had the whole bungalow to ourselves! All I could remember those 3 days was awesome food, relaxing at the bungalow with superb visuals of the nearby tea gardens and mouintains and hearing those 'whistling' birds.. as BigZero put it - pure bliss!!

My family members were blown over by the choice of location and I only have this forum and folks like you and bigZero to thank!!
KESriram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 13:09   #88
BHPian

How did i miss out on this Gem.Thank you all for sharing your experiences and info and special thanks to Bigzero.After reading your TL, i am planning to visit Valparai during xmas holidays.5 stars from myside.
maximus. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 18:57   #89
BHPian

Re: Three days in Valparai - Bliss!

Thanks everyone for the nice words. Its been quite a while now, and I am itching for another trip! But god knows when it will materialise.

There is something about tea estate bungalows that makes one want to go back again and again..
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 19:01   #90
Team-BHP Support

Re: Three days in Valparai - Bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Haven't stepped out of Pune since then..
I think yours was the first travelogue on Valparai which opened the floodgates to folks visiting this quaint place. The best part is the place still preserves the calm of the region. And thats simply because there are not too many places for tourists to stay. And I hope it remains that way.

Here is some thing for you! (Taken this year)

Sunrise
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_4911_lr.jpg

A walk after lunch
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_5085_lr.jpg

From Loam's View
Three days in Valparai - Bliss!-img_5254_lr.jpg
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks