Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 23:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Tirumala-Ahobilam-Mahanandi-Srisailam: A 1350 KM trip from Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
If you are going directly to Srisailam from Tirpati, then I would suggest the Tirupati - Ongole - Markapur - Srisailam. It will be shorter and you have better roads.
Thanks crossroads. The google map shows a different route as kadapa-cumbam-markapur-srisailam. That one is shorter, but may not be in a better road condition than the route suggested by you.
And how is markapur-srisailam road section? Any difficult ghat roads?
bbhavan
Old 12th August 2014, 16:59   #17
BHPian

Re: Tirumala-Ahobilam-Mahanandi-Srisailam: A 1350 KM trip from Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Thanks crossroads. The google map shows a different route as kadapa-cumbam-markapur-srisailam. That one is shorter, but may not be in a better road condition than the route suggested by you.
And how is markapur-srisailam road section? Any difficult ghat roads?
bbhavan
Since I visited Ahobilam, I did the Kadapa - Nandiyal - Dornala - Srisailam route. There is a Ghat section between Nandiyal & Srisailam. I am not sure about the Kadapa-Cumbam route.

Markapur to Srisailam is single road but it's drivable. Expect traffic at small towns on the way. From Markapur you first reach Dornala from where the Ghat section starts.

There is a 45 km Ghat road from Dornala to Srisailam. It is not a difficult stretch but remember that the Ghat section will be closed during the night. I believe it will be closed from 8 PM - 6 AM. There is an APSRTC run tourism hotel in Dornala.
crossroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 22:27   #18
BHPian

Four States,Five Temples : Route guidance and suggestions welcome

Well, the title obviously looks rather weird, especially since we are at the southern part of the country, where temples are plenty. In fact in our last T.N trip, in a span of 4 days, we did darshan of 7 temples, read big big temples.

In the recently done North Kerala trip, we got to cover 12 temples in 3 days.
However, this time we are planning to have more drive and lesser number of stops. Drive means lots of drive, around 4200 km.

Tirupati,kalahasti,Srisailam,Puri and Konark - These are the five selected temples we plan to cover this time in a quiet ambitious plan.The planning started this Sunday only and we have to start this Monday. I am still to digest about this and really wondering whether this will really work out or not? I haven't done any bookings yet. Let me disclose my plan to you and seek your valuable opinions/feedback about it.Any suggestions on improving this will really help me.
Before that let me tell you, we are a team of 6 members, me, wife, two kids with 13 and 12 years age and my parents , both are above 80.
Car is Innova, and we are starting from Cochin.

24/10 6 Am Dep. Cochin- Tirupati. 700km, stay at Tirupati town.
25/10 9 Am Darshan timing. Stay at Tirupati, go to kalahasti and back.
26/10 6 Am Dep. To Srisailam via Kalahasti, Ongole, 440km, stay at Srisailam and darshan.
27/10 9 Am Dep. To Vizag. 580km, stay at outskirt of Vizag, on the highway.
28/10 6 Am Dep. To Konark via, sreekakulam, Puri 530km, stay at Konark.
29/10 stay at Konark, sun temple, visit Puri and chilka lake.
30/10 6 Am Return via Vizag, stay near Vijayawada. 600km.
31/10 6 Am Return via Tirupati, Salem. 1080km.

I know, it is a very very ambitious Plan, considering the fact that I am the sole driver, and also the age factor of the parents.
Expecting your feedback,
bbhavan

Last edited by bbhavan : 18th October 2016 at 22:29.
Old 18th October 2016, 23:28   #19
BHPian

Re: Four States,Five Temples : Route guidance and suggestions welcome

Sounds like an ambitious plan; good luck with your planning and have a safe trip.
2 cents from my last year's trip to Shrishailam -> book acco and darshan online beforehand -
http://www.srisailamonline.com/
http://srisailamtemple.com/srisailam/index.html
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 23:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Konark does not have hotels per say, loads of guest houses of banks, Police, PSUs etc etc

Puri would be a better option to stay, Puri to Konark drive is very scenic and the road is best enjoyed in daylight.

Chilika, unless you really need to go there, it's completely avoidable. I say this is view of you being the sole driver and your parents age. The road from Puri to Chillika is horrendous and the spot itself has nothing to offer, Its an organised chaos at best if you can call it that.

The lake is best visited from the other side (Behrampur, IIRC) where the Navy has a station, the water cleaner etc etc but that is approached from Bhubhaneswar.

Recommend that you arrive in to Puri, stay & enjoy the beaches, visit the temple in the morning, relax and visit Konark post lunch to return in the evening to Puri or proceed to BBS from Konark itself.

I would also suggest that you do involve another person who can share the driving with you. This will make the whole experience relaxed and more enjoyable for all of you.

Quote:
.....I know, it is a very very ambitious Plan, considering the fact that I am the sole driver, and also the age factor of the parents.
Expecting your feedback,
bbhavan
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 16:06   #21

Quote:
24/10 6 Am Dep. Cochin- Tirupati. 700km, stay at Tirupati town.
25/10 9 Am Darshan timing. Stay at Tirupati, go to kalahasti and back.
26/10 6 Am Dep. To Srisailam via Kalahasti, Ongole, 440km, stay at Srisailam and darshan.
27/10 9 Am Dep. To Vizag. 580km, stay at outskirt of Vizag, on the highway.
28/10 6 Am Dep. To Konark via, sreekakulam, Puri 530km, stay at Konark.
29/10 stay at Konark, sun temple, visit Puri and chilka lake.
30/10 6 Am Return via Vizag, stay near Vijayawada. 600km.
31/10 6 Am Return via Tirupati, Salem. 1080km.

I know, it is a very very ambitious Plan, considering the fact that I am the sole driver, and also the age factor of the parents.
Expecting your feedback,
bbhavan
For better utilization of time, Tirupati & Srisailam (due to rush and need of ghat road travel) can be moved towards end of the journey. Official home pages of temples of Andhra Pradesh can be accessed at http://www.apendowments.gov.in/templeListing

Check the updated plan. If time permits on that day, you can visit these 3 famous temples also on the way.
A. Kanakadurga temple at Vijayawada,
B. Simhachalam temple in Vizag,
C. Annavaram temple half way between Rajahmundry & Vizag.

APTDC (http://aptdc.in) has Haritha hotels at Kalahasti, Srisialam, Vijayawada & Vizag.

24/10 6 Am - Dep. Cochin- kalahasti. 725km, stay at kalahasti town.

25/10 7 Am - darsan at kalahasti. depart by 10AM. stay at Annavaram. 615km.
Alternatively you can halt at Rajahmundry/Vizag based on your progress. Except for the initial 30 kms, rest is 4 lane road. Details of accommodation for Annavaram are available at http://annavaramdevasthanam.nic.in/A.htm.

26/10 7 Am - Dep. To Puri. 546km. Optionally have Darsan at C & B. Stay at Puri.

27/10 7 Am - darsan at Puri & Konark. Stay at Puri.

28/10 6 Am - Dep. To Rajahmundry. 626km. Optionally have Darsan at B & C. Stay at Rajahmundry.

29/10 6 Am - Dep. to Srisailam. 419km. Optionally have Darsan at A. Stay at Srisailam. Please note that route to Srisailam goes through forest and is closed between 9PM to 6AM.

30/10 6 Am - Dep. to Tirupati. 400km. stay at Tirupati.

31/10 6 Am - darsan at Tirupati & depart to Cochin. 675km.

As others have already pointed out, having spare driver will help a lot. With 2 drivers the suggested plan is easily doable. You can add one or two days extra to do the trip at a comfortable pace.
ksrchowdary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 16:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Sounds like an ambitious plan; good luck with your planning and have a safe trip.
2 cents from my last year's trip to Shrishailam -> book acco and darshan online beforehand -
Thanks, I made reservation at APTDC hotel, at Srisailam. Is there any time restrictions on the Ghat road to Srisailam?
I am thinking about on option of leaving Tirupati by 3Pm and reach Srisailam at 10pm? to save a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Konark does not have hotels per say, loads of guest houses of banks, Police, PSUs etc etc

Puri would be a better option to stay, Puri to Konark drive is very scenic and the road is best enjoyed in daylight.

Chilika, unless you really need to go there, it's completely avoidable.
O.k. So will select Puri as the halting station.
Thanks for the info on Chilka Lake.
Old 21st October 2016, 00:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I made reservation at APTDC hotel, at Srisailam. Is there any time restrictions on the Ghat road to Srisailam?
Yes, as far as I remember, entry to the ghats is not permitted after 9 PM, from both the sides, i.e. Mannanur as well as Dornala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks