Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 16:28   #1
BHPian

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)

Itinerary
24th: Bombay - Rajkot 05:25 06:40 (Jet ATR) - Afternoon Gir NP Safari
25th: Morning Gir NP Safari; Day Trip to Diu & Somnath Enroute
26th: Afternoon Gir NP Safari
27th: Morning Gir NP Safari; Rajkot - Bombay 21:30 23:00 (Delayed - JetKonnect Airbus)

More to follow with pics...
Old 29th January 2010, 09:21   #2
BHPian

I have been busy and have not got the time to write my travelogue, will do it through the day today. Here are some pics:

The Beginning
The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-rajkot-airport.jpg

The King
The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lion4.jpg

Nagoa Beach, Diu
The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-diu-beach.jpg

The Somnath Temple
The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-famous-somnath-temple.jpg
Old 29th January 2010, 15:04   #3
BHPian

This is the 3rd Sasan Gir travelogue this week. Gir always gets me excited as I was there in October as well. Looking forward to more posts and Pics!
Old 30th January 2010, 11:28   #4
BHPian

Day 1
We woke up at 3.30am as i had called Meru to pick us up at 4.15am. Our flight to Rajkot was at 5.25am. Reached Rajkot at 6.45am and had the taxi driver sent by the Camp (paid by us) waiting for us with a placard. I paid 4,500 for a to and fro trip. Sasan Gir is 160kms from Rajkot Airport so it takes approximately 3 to 3 1/2 hours to reach. Though the approach road to the camp was back-breaking, we forgot all of it when we saw the breathtaking view of the river from the camp.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-view-river-our-camp.jpg

The camp staff were extremely courteous and took us to our tent. Before that, the first thing i did was to book my 1st safari, the afternoon one. More about that will follow. So we were taken to the tent

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-our-tent-no-12.jpg

Pretty Neat Interiors

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-tent-interiors1.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-tent-interiors.jpg

More later....

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th January 2010 at 11:34.
Old 30th January 2010, 13:58   #5
BHPian

So we settled in the room and took a power nap for half an hour. Got a call that lunch was ready at the camp hotel. Had lunch and was done by around 2.30pm. Went back to the room and unpacked, took a shower, got ready and were at the gate at 3.30pm sharp. The Safari Gypsy then took us on our way to the Gir National Park. On the way we saw the local village bullocks, see the size of their horns.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-bullocks.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-huge-bullock-horns.jpg

We reached the Park office to get the necessary permit papers (all arranged by the camp). There we got a tourist guide who advised us to leave a bit late and not immediately and had his reasons which eventually we found to be very valid. So he told us to wade our time at the nearly crocodile park.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-crocodiles.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-crocodile1.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-crocodile2.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-crocodile3.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-crocodile4.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-crocodile5.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th January 2010 at 14:00.
Old 30th January 2010, 15:18   #6
BHPian

So now it was around 4.15pm. Now was the time to enter the park.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-entrance-route-gir-np.jpg

The first animal which we 'spotted' was the Spotted deer. After all there are more than 46,000 of them in the Sanctuary.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-deer2.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-deer-group.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-spotted-deer-male.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-male-deer1.jpg

Then as we slowly moved forward, we saw a lot of these...

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lion-paw-footprints.jpg

which led us to... Hang on!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th January 2010 at 15:20.
Old 30th January 2010, 17:05   #7
BHPian

And we searched and searched and searched

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-safari-jeep.jpg

all of.... umm 20 minutes! The guide we had, like most guides, was friendly with the trekkers / forest guards. He told us that there was a male lion, but not on the main pathway, a bit inside the forest. So the trekker himself told us to back up a bit and reverse into a small path, where lo & behold, a Male Lion was sitting, in full glory, like a true King. It was a sight that i cannot describe in words, watching a lion, uncaged, unfenced, in the flesh, in the wild! But the only regret i had was that i did not have an SLR or a better camera to capture the moment. It will be one thing that i will regret. As i have never been an avid photographer, i rued my amateurish streak in this matter. It has suddenly made me realise that i must get to learn professional photography as soon as possible. Anyways, only one picture came out clear in the excitement but i am posting all of them. We had to leave in a matter of minutes because the Lion had given us the first warning, its tail going up.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lion1.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lion2.jpg

Name:  lion3.JPG
Views: 2977
Size:  77.1 KB

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lion4.jpg
Old 30th January 2010, 18:53   #8
BHPian

We went ahead and we saw a range of birds and animals

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-safari-ride-motion.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-peacock.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-peacocks.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-parrots.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-parrots1.jpg

and then we proceeded towards the lake besides the dam

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-road-dam.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-road-dam2.jpg

This lake had a swarm of crocodiles which we could spot far away on the other bank.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lake.jpg

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-lake-shore.jpg

At the end of the road, they had a tree house atop from where the view was breathtaking and its beauty cannot be captured in a picture, but here goes.

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-top-tower.jpg

and on the other side was a thick forest

The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)-thick-forest.jpg

More tomorrow...

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th January 2010 at 18:55.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:53   #9
BHPian

Re: The Lion, The Beach & The Shrine Eternal (Sasan Gir, Diu & Somnath)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
We went ahead and we saw a range of birds and animals
----
More tomorrow...
Hello Anil,
nice TL; try to finish it.

regards,
Pranav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks