Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you give a lift to a total stranger in a remote forest area?
Yes ofcourse, I care for people 8 11.43%
No, what if I get murdererd? 55 78.57%
I'll run over anybody who asks for a lift 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 23:51   #31
BHPian

Thanks PJ. Finally, after quite some browsing and asking at this same forum that you need to return back from Parambikulam to Annaimalai if you need to get to Valparai and into Kerala. Next question I have is: Do we have to take any permits at Pollachi before we head into the forest - to enter Top-slip or Parambikulam or Valparai? Is there any permit to get into Kerala? Should not find out that we cannot proceed further once we are the checkpost.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks PJ. Finally, after quite some browsing and asking at this same forum that you need to return back from Parambikulam to Annaimalai if you need to get to Valparai and into Kerala. Next question I have is: Do we have to take any permits at Pollachi before we head into the forest - to enter Top-slip or Parambikulam or Valparai? Is there any permit to get into Kerala? Should not find out that we cannot proceed further once we are the checkpost.

You can get most details at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1834648-post35.html
Old 13th April 2010, 13:09   #33
BHPian

Thanks a lot, Laluks. This is the kind of info I was wanting. Did the officer say that whenever the gate opens we can just drive thru after paying the mentioned amount? No further permits at Pollachi needed. Correct? What about entering the Parambikulam check post? Any permits needed there?

The worst part is to reach the check post and they saying - "No" - due to whatever reason. I tried to go to Siruvani and into Kerala once and they said "No". No reason given. I found somewhere that that road to Kerala has been closed for years - smuggling - it seems. What a pity?

I was planning to go next Tuesday to Top-Slip and Parambikulam. But I guess I need to drop it after what I heard you say.

Can I go to Valparai? Or is that closed as well?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Laluks. This is the kind of info I was wanting. Did the officer say that whenever the gate opens we can just drive thru after paying the mentioned amount? No further permits at Pollachi needed. Correct? What about entering the Parambikulam check post? Any permits needed there?

The worst part is to reach the check post and they saying - "No" - due to whatever reason. I tried to go to Siruvani and into Kerala once and they said "No". No reason given. I found somewhere that that road to Kerala has been closed for years - smuggling - it seems. What a pity?

I was planning to go next Tuesday to Top-Slip and Parambikulam. But I guess I need to drop it after what I heard you say.

Can I go to Valparai? Or is that closed as well?
You can drive through from sethumadai Check post till Parambikulam CP in your vehicle. At parambikulam, if it is a day trip you'll have to take their ride for around 140 RS per head. There is no permit needed for the safari they offer.

If you are staying there then you can take your vehicle inside atleast till the accomodation.

Please call that number and see if the road is open to Topslip.

Valparai, you can just drive through. There are two CP there also, but they were open. But be aware of the timings of the forest Checkpost from Vazhachal till Sholayar. The last entry is by 7.30PM (dont do this, atleast enter by 5.00 PM to comfortably exit by 7.00PM, night is not advisable) and first entry at 6Am.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:56   #35
BHPian

Thanks Laluks. I will call Tuesday to see if the Sethumadai is open. Do you know the exact locations of checkpost on the Aliyar-Valparai-Sholayar-Vazhachal-Athirampally route? And their opening/closing hours? Approx distance between these points?
Old 13th April 2010, 16:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Laluks. I will call Tuesday to see if the Sethumadai is open. Do you know the exact locations of checkpost on the Aliyar-Valparai-Sholayar-Vazhachal-Athirampally route? And their opening/closing hours? Approx distance between these points?
There is one check post between Aliyar & Valparai, one between Upper Sholayar & Malikappara, one just near Vaazchal waterfalls.

The first one would take about 15 kms from Aliyar. The checkpost after Upper Sholayar is about 10 kms after Valparai if I am correct. You have human habitation upto Malikappara after which you would be all alone until you reach Peringalkuthu which is about 15/20 kms away. Even if the check posts are open right through the night I would advice not to travel after 4.30 PM from the Upper Sholayar check post as it would take atleast two and a half hours from there.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:04   #37
BHPian

@jeevmenon - I guess laluks has answered most of your questions. It's always better to call up and book in Parambikulam. I think you can even book the day treks. At the Parambikulam check post, I saw about 9-10 vehicles stopped at the checkpost waiting to enter. But we were allowed to go immediately after verification of booking, etc.

They allow only a few vehicles per day. If by chance a big college bus or family gathering lands up, then you wouldn't get a chance to enter.

pypkmsrikanth is spot on about the locations of the checkpost. Irrespective of checkpost timings, it's safer to travel this route at daytime.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:19   #38

Hello Pearl Jam,

Your narration and the pics of Parambikulam, Valparai... trip is very enticing.

However, I could not find your comments about DZire performance? Mileage / ride quality and that rattling sound!

I own a Dzire ZDi 2009 and had a recent trip to Ooty. And Yes, I am part of the 'Swift Rattling Club'! My 10K service was due last week and the folks at Mandovi in BLR could fix the problem.

Thanks.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:08   #39
BHPian

Thanks jjains!

DZire performance was stunning as usual. I got an average mileage of around 19.5 with around 60% a/c. At cruising speeds on the highway (below 110Kmph), the engine sound can barely be heard. A lot of the terrain was ghat section, and needless to say, the ghat climbs were thrilling. The superb torque delivery is really addictive. I drove all through the trip, and am glad that wifey didn't ask to drive at any time!

Driver seat positioning and ergonomics are excellent, but the numerous blind spots are a disadvantage, and you need to be more careful about these. Potholes are soaked up nicely, though you can't compare it to heavier cars like the Linea or Punto.

The rattling sound was expected, it was just a matter of time, after reading up many posts on t-bhp. Fixed the rattle after the 2nd service, but it's come back to the same state again. However, it's still a very minor rattle at 8000Kms today, and noticeable only rarely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks