Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 08:53   #1
BHPian

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham

Here are some pictures from our recent trip to Coorg.

Highlights:

Total distance covered: Approx 800 kms
Average mileage: close to 11kmpl

Road condition: excellent till Kushalnagar. Mix of patchy, broken and good roads after Kushalnagar. Steep inclines at most of the places around Madikeri.
Route: Koramangala-Electronics City-NICE Road-Mysore-Mysore Ring Road-Kushalnagar-Madikeri

Total people: 5 (went with my friend and his family).
Stayed at: Alpen Glow Homestay

What we liked: Almost everything
What we did not like: The homestay experience was average. At 1300 per room for a room at mezzanine floor, we think it was expensive. Also we did not like dinner at Coorg international.

Other observations: Service at Concorde Motors really made a difference to the car. The car seems to have lot of power after the recent fuel pump service and oil change at Concorde Motors Hosur Road. We could easily climb close to 25 degrees incline on narrow winding roads in 3rd gear. It also handled 30 degree plus incline at the parking lot in the homestay.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00955.jpg
Abby falls. (The homestay owner told us that it was mixed with sewage water).

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00948.jpg
Abby falls.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc009571.jpg
Our Safari.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00959.jpg
Madikeri.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00961.jpg
Madikeri.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00976.jpg
Nisargadham.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc01004.jpg
Bylakuppe.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00981.jpg
Nisargadham.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice shots. Coorg is always a laid back extended weekend. Glad to note that Hunsur road is excellent. When I went last, it was being done!
Old 24th February 2010, 09:09   #3
BHPian

Good pics and really a nice place to visit on weekends. If you could have managed to visit talacauvery then it could have been really great experience.
Did you drive around the monestry area its really fantastic
Old 24th February 2010, 09:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Reminds me of two trips I've done with my family, the last one being way back in 2000. Coorg is one place I really like, and if its Nov-Feb, its even better with the foggy mornings and the fresh air that totally rejuvenates the mind & soul!
Old 24th February 2010, 18:46   #5
BHPian

Thank you for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice shots. Coorg is always a laid back extended weekend. Glad to note that Hunsur road is excellent. When I went last, it was being done!
SH88 is in excellent shape. You can easily drive at 90-110 kmph for extended period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kites View Post
Good pics and really a nice place to visit on weekends. If you could have managed to visit talacauvery then it could have been really great experience.
Did you drive around the monestry area its really fantastic
We did not have enough time to visit Talacauvery. May be next time we visit Coorg, we will go there.

We did drive around the monastry area. We also had lunch in a Tibetan restaurant near the monastry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Nice. Reminds me of two trips I've done with my family, the last one being way back in 2000. Coorg is one place I really like, and if its Nov-Feb, its even better with the foggy mornings and the fresh air that totally rejuvenates the mind & soul!
Absolutely agree. It is a great experience to be in Coorg during winter.

We planned to start from Bangalore early morning. But due to some work, we could leave only by 12 ish. Picked up my friend from Koramangala and took the elevated tollway-NICE road to Mysore road. Nice road is not complete, but the diversion is in good shape. You need to take a U turn and go under NICE road. The road will join to NICE road near Banerghatta road.

We crossed film city and stopped at Kamat for lunch. The N.K. (?) meal and Karavari (?) meal were great and authentic. Total cost was around 430 for 4 people.

We missed the shortcut through Srirangapatna, although we realized later that it saves only approx. 4 kms. Mysore ring road is in excellent shape and the right turn towards Madikeri is well marked. So we would probably take this route if we go to Coorg again. Our Nokia GPS guided us through this road.

SH88 is also in excellent shape. You can do more than 100kmph for extended period. There seems to be a diversion before Bylakuppe towards Madikeri, but the locals advised us to continue to Kushalnagar. Road work was going on ner Bylakuppe. Kushalnagar roads were bad.

While going up, we took SH88B I think (not too sure as it was getting dark and there was no GPS map). It was a longer route, but it goes through the coffee estates and Dubare forest area. This route is more scenic and is in better shape compared to the other route.

We reached Madikeri by 7.30. It took us some time to locate Alpen Glow the homestay my friend booked for us. It is 1 kms from Raja's seat, close to the hockey stadium/hotel Coorg international. The parking lot was at a steep incline.

Although the hospitality was really good, at 1300 per night for a room at mezzanine floor, we thought it was expensive. They provided with complimentary Snacks and breakfast.

We planned to have dinner in town before reaching there, but the host advised that we could have dinner at nearby hotel Coorg International. This turned out to be a total disaster. We wanted to have local cuisine, but all they had was 300/- standard buffet. We did not have any option as it was already late at night and shops usually close by 9ish.

Finally we retired for night around 11p.m. after checking mails etc. On a side note, Aircel has good internet connectivity in Madikeri. The host promised us that we would be able to watch sunrise from the room if there is no fog.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

waiting for sunrise photos ! The Budhist settlement is very nice and serene. Whats more, they dont even charge any fee for viewing all the places.
Old 25th February 2010, 02:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Suman da, Nice pics there. How did you choose this resort? I stayed in Capitol Village at the same price and had a nice experience with full cottage.

I thought the shortcut from Srirangapatnam to Hunsur Road is close to 15km if not more. May be you took a different turn.

Abhi
Old 25th February 2010, 09:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Suman da, Nice pics there. How did you choose this resort? I stayed in Capitol Village at the same price and had a nice experience with full cottage.

I thought the shortcut from Srirangapatnam to Hunsur Road is close to 15km if not more. May be you took a different turn.

Abhi
@Abhi da, Even I took that road via Ranaganthittu. It has deteriorated over time. Not sure how is the condition now.
Mysore RR + Hunsur road makes for a peaceful driving with very good roads. Its only a difference of 5-6 Km.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
waiting for sunrise photos ! The Budhist settlement is very nice and serene. Whats more, they dont even charge any fee for viewing all the places.
There is no sunrise photo. In fact it was quite foggy the next day morning.

Quote:

Abhi
That's great. The homestay was otherwise not bad. There was no problem with hospitality. Only that we were expecting a full cottage for the price.

That's possible. We drove through Mysore Ring road.

Quote:
@Abhi da, Even I took that road via Ranaganthittu. It has deteriorated over time. Not sure how is the condition now.
Mysore RR + Hunsur road makes for a peaceful driving with very good roads. Its only a difference of 5-6 Km.
Mysore ring road is in really good condition. the only problem is there is no direction after you take the diversion to right. You need to take a left and stay on the ring road.

Next day we got up early for sunrise, but it was foggy outside. No sunrise, but we did take a drive in the morning. It feels great to drive in the morning in a hill station. Explored the nearby roads going uphill.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00942-copy1.jpg
The incline inside the gate is the parking to the homestay. Inside it is close to 40 degrees incline.

The host served us generous breakfast of idly and neer dosa. According to them, Neer dosa is popularly known as Advani dosa. It seems that he had this dosa when he came to south India and liked it very much. Later he told the story to some media person who published the story. Since then, it is known as Advani dosa, and is very popular in Madikeri. Okay, we did not go to any other restaurant in Madikeri to verify the claim.

Our first stop was Abby falls. Abby falls is located in a private estate, 8 kms from Madikeri. We took a shortcut and the road was very steep at places. They charge a parking fee of Rs. 20.

Abby falls is really good. People do take bath in the falls although the host warned us that sewage water is mixed with the falls water. It would surely be a great place to visit during monsoon.

Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-untitled2.jpg
Approach to Abby falls

The next stop was Raja's seat and the temple. Raja's seat is located high up a hill and is a great place to watch the sunset. The temple is located downhill.

Soon we were heading down to Nisargadham and Bylakuppe.
Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00969.jpg
Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham-dsc00968.jpg
Old 4th September 2012, 23:03   #10
BHPian

Re: Weekend trip to Coorg, Bylakuppe and Nisargadham

Quote:

Abhi
Hi there,

Do you have any web address or contact No. of Capitol Village?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks