Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 20:31   #1
BHPian

Brand Determination to Leh (1996)

The day was special; I seemed bound by forces of delight and excitement! Forces that make someone wake through the better hours of night. Action, planning carry-on’s, supplies, equipment and spares. Where? to highest motor-able pass on earth. How, on 2 wheels of a brand called determination, and little adulterated fuel of courage and fear. I didn’t know how far I would reach but I wanted to attempt, reaching somewhere my eye couldn’t reach.

I learnt from numerous lore’s, the path to glory is often a trip between you and your goal with someone higher holding a battering ram. But, if your brand is determination even the weak take steps. I packed my bags carefully hiding excitement from my folks and hid them and supplies underneath my bed. Nobody had a clue, at 3.30 AM someone would kick-start with all his might an expedition which would change some paths ahead in time.

I had heard stories of Tanglang La or Baralacha La passes that have been known for battering men and machines alike. But then those stories were of men by men and for men and I was no less or rather more, so I thought.

3 AM, I am ready with my kit and tip-toe out of the window and into the lawn. There stood determination in all black, slightly slouching ready to leap. Since I planned impeccably, all equipment fitted well with-out much noise. I was ready.

I knew determination’s vintage grunt would wake the neighborhood. He was 19 years old yet determined to take me across the northern plains and into mountains (Goal). I rolled outside the gate and ran with determination into nearest kerb and then walked it across guards. I knew now, no one would hear determinations grunt, and then finally I kick-start the beast called determination and astride ride north.

As I rode out of Delhi, it was still dark and the fuel in me was 70% excitement, 20% desire and 10% courage, Heady! Yes, and I gunned the throttle and reached Chandigarh, headed straight for bus depot to the chaiwala, some chai and biscuits down. I head out in the open to cross the fabled plains of Punjab! Somehow pacified determination to stop for much needed rest in Bilaspur, we holed up in a traditional dhaba. Lip smacking food and Rs 10 for a Charpoy (As Sahibs would call it), we call it Manji. There was a stream opposite the dhaba and the water made for a natural lullaby to sleep. Woke up to a harsh clang of the tawa, as Aloo paratha was being dished out fresh. Checked my watch, it was 4 AM, I thought this bunch was crazy. But then I was woken again by babaji (not any spiritual guru, but dhaba owners father), he advised I start early since there were clouds rolling over and I had 195 Kms between me and my intermediate Goal. But then it stuck me, I forgot the most important thing. Informing the Marshal, all races have it, all expeditions have it, I mean the serious ones. Determination looked scornfully that Marshal isn’t involved in this plan, sheepishly I reach out for the STD booth and dial the Marshal. Crisp comes the good morning with how far have you reached, my response, I am good and in Bilaspur. Next, how far do you intend to go. Response, Leh. Response, You seem on track. Keep it up, we’ll chat once you are back. Few words, fewer emotions, conversation Marshal like. I was instructed to report back once in Manali

To be Continued....

Last edited by Eddy : 9th March 2010 at 20:38. Reason: Pl see the following post
Old 9th March 2010, 20:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Uhuaia

Looking forward to the travelogue and some pics

But please do not copy paste from an external editor like MS Word, since it leaves behind formatting tags. You can use t-bhp's editor directly, or notepad. Thanks
Old 9th March 2010, 20:49   #3
BHPian

Hi Ushuaia,

Welcome to Team BHP. First post with a travelogue and that too on Leh. Great going!

Waiting for more to come. Hope you will share your snaps with us.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Ushuaia: That's a very intriguing name/handle. I had difficulty pronouncing.

Pictures of your ride etc., would have made the narration more gripping..
Old 9th March 2010, 21:41   #5
BHPian

Beautifully written. Waiting for the "to be continued part" and millions of photos.
Old 10th March 2010, 08:34   #6
BHPian

You have a flair for writing. Got me Hooked!!!.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of the best written first post and that too being a travelogue to be seen on tbhp IMO. Fantastic dude. This thread will go for long time. I am hooked to this. Eagerly waiting for your next episode and certainly with pics of the place and the mode of transport
Old 10th March 2010, 09:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic startup; waiting eagerly to read other episodes like watching a mega serial
OT - wondering what's the connection between 1996 & Age of 19 years & 2 months.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Bottoms Up: Thanks to each one of you for encouraging

Aargee: This trip was in 1996, and hence my age then..
Shishir_bn: Mostly no pics, nerves turned steely.. I have some in Del will try to get them
Eddy: Apologies, will make sure it doesn't happen again
Akshay, Rulerofsun, GD, Irish thanks! though I am a newBEE, I've been flitting around the forums for quite sometime.... Do read my Intro 'Be Hope Personified' (BHP) thats what I found Team-BHP to be...
Old 10th March 2010, 11:37   #10
BHPian

Beast: Dad's Yezdi 1984 D-250 Classic
Marshal (Last Para): My Dad, since I did this trip without informing my parents
Year: 1996
Month: July
Old 10th March 2010, 14:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey, that is a great start to the travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Determination looked scornfully that Marshal isn’t involved in this plan, sheepishly I reach out for the STD booth and dial the Marshal.
Admire the writing style. Especially the way you write about the bike communicating back to you. Rarely does one come across such style of writing. Keep going.

Quote:
Crisp comes the good morning with how far have you reached, my response, I am good and in Bilaspur. Next, how far do you intend to go. Response, Leh. Response, You seem on track. Keep it up, we’ll chat once you are back. Few words, fewer emotions, conversation Marshal like. I was instructed to report back once in Manali
That is gem of a dad!!!

Quote:
I knew determination’s vintage grunt would wake the neighborhood. He was 19 years old yet determined to take me across the northern plains and into mountains (Goal).
Quote:
This trip was in 1996, and hence my age then..
You say that you were 19 years old. Was the bike also 19 years old?

Quote:
Mostly no pics, nerves turned steely.. I have some in Del will try to get them
I am tuned to this travelogue, nevertheless.

Narration style reminds me of Robert Pirsig's Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Way to go, great start and nice narration.

Had a Classic way back in 1984 for 2 years and then a road King for the next 3 years, many trips without informing parents and once went back home with POP on my wrist!!!

Well, looks like you trekked down that exciting road too!!!!

Awaiting the rest of the story..

- Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 10th March 2010 at 23:11.
Old 11th March 2010, 09:15   #13
BHPian

I am very curious to view all your pictures... It must be a nostalgic for me to stick on!! Btw welcome to Team BHp mate...

Last edited by akaushik : 11th March 2010 at 09:17.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:19   #14
BHPian

Well mate, the first thing that comes to my mind reading your opening is, "wish I couldv'e done something similar when I was 19!".

Now please continue and let us know what was the report from Manali.

[quote=ramkya1;1776257]...once went back home with POP on my wrist!!![quote]

Last edited by lordofgondor : 11th March 2010 at 15:20.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I have done that once, and got slapped on the wrist on my return—though all I did was Delhi to Dharamshala and back, non-stop.

Grea going, Ushuaia. Keep it coming—I am glued to this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks