Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 22:38   #16
BHPian

Cave 1 to 12 is buddhist cave, 13 to 24 is Hindu while the remaining is Jain caves in Ellora, the oldest are Budhist ones!!
-Pramod
Old 21st April 2010, 22:49   #17
BHPian

Last time when I had been there(10-12 yrs back); photography was not allowed in certain caves which had the color carvings intact. Is it the same till now?

Also did you carry out the famous experiment at the lonar site? i.e.take some sand/mud in your palm and rotate a magnet in circular fashion; the whole sand mud will similarly rotate.

Seems lonar site is deserted ; people have moved away from natural creations!
Old 21st April 2010, 22:50   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I will have to visit there personally to see who's are the oldest? Anyway, it's only from a historical point of view and nothing on communal lines. There has been a lot of conflicts when budhism started flourishing, especially down south. Many a wars were fought between the kings down south on this accord. Pallava kingdom has many real incidents relating to these. Mahabalipuram also has sculptures and cave kind of places. But again we have references to Arjuna and Krishna there.
Old 21st April 2010, 23:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Cave16 is the example of Excellence in Architecture in ancient India.The best Architectural effort seen so far after Hoysala
Hoysala temples were built much after Ajanta/Ellora.
Old 21st April 2010, 23:40   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I wiki-ed. This is what I found.
It was initially thought that the Buddhist caves were one of the earliest structures, created between the fifth and eighth centuries, with caves 1-5 in the first phase (400-600) and 6-12 in the later phase (mid 7th-mid 8th), but now it is clear to the modern scholars that some of the Hindu caves (27,29,21,28,19,26,20,17 and 14) precede these caves. The earliest Buddhist cave is Cave 6, followed by 5,2,3,5 (right wing), 4,7,8,10 and 9. Caves 11 and 12 were the last. All the Buddhist caves were constructed between 630-700.

So the hindu caves were there first. Then the budhists added on to it subsequently. I need to go to Ajanta and Ellora next.

@Arindamray.
+1 to it. Hoysalas didn't come up atleast for next 400 years. they were at their peak in 12th century AD.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:20   #21
BHPian

Hehe, that good to know I suggest let see the architecture, painting and the beauty of the place, Ellora caves are so huge compared to Ajanta and they are beautiful too, just a observation government seems to completely ignore Ellora, may be because Ajanta is into UNESCO world heritage site while Ellora is not!!

And Lonar, I was the only one that day there was no body else, maybe because of heat!

-Pramod
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
The Green water body looks awesome.Whether its natural water or contaminated is a different question.
The lonar lake is the only lake in India where Sprirulina is found naturally (info that I got from a TV program on agriculture/farming). This is what makes the water look bluish green. There may be other algae present as well.

-Biju.

p.s. Sprirulina is considered a SUPER FOOD - googling will reveal a lot of information on this.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Lonar the lakes name? Also by the shape of the lake it looks like a metrioric or a lake created due to some volcanic crater (I have never been to those lakes, only on TV and pics hence asking) ?
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:00   #24
BHPian

Lonar Lake, which was created by a meteor hitting the Earth during the Pleistocene epoch, is a saltwater lake at Lonar in Buldana district, Maharashtra, India
Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonar_crater_lake-Pramod
Old 17th May 2010, 16:33   #25
BHPian

Question: Is Ajanta-Ellora visit wise during the Monsoons, with family?
Old 17th May 2010, 16:46   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I was planning the same Exhaust Note. However a friend says that during the monsoons, the caves will start smelling. More than that what ever ambient light one may expect to get might be lost during the rains.
I'm planning to drive to Ajanta and Ellora with family in the last weekend of May. I might go back again during the monsoons alone.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:04   #27
BHPian

Theoretically best time is Mansoon, practically it would be real tough to even enter the caves, they would be quite slippery moreover light condition atleast in Ellora would not be enough, I suggest going in winter, Ellora is real big and walking from one cave to other in this SUN is a tough.

-Pramod
Old 17th May 2010, 17:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I was planning the same Exhaust Note. However a friend says that during the monsoons, the caves will start smelling. More than that what ever ambient light one may expect to get might be lost during the rains. ...
My thoughts exactly. I am looking for a "regular" tourist destination which "transforms" during the monsoon and is safe enough for wife and 5 year old (not too much trekking). If nothing comes up then Mahabaleshwar/ Matheraan will be the the destination. Ajanta was a bad choice for another reason - I have only a Saturday & Sunday week ends this monsoon. Not planning to take offs this monsoon (saving for Winter), just week-end fun trips and back types.

EDIT: There goes Pramod too. Thanks!! Plan dropped.

PS: Do we have a thread for ex-mum/ex-pune monsoon week ends? Or Shall I start one?

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 17th May 2010 at 17:15.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:14   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Rule out Matheran during initial monsoons. Because there are no vehicles allowed up there, you will have to brave the rains on foot. You may try the old haunts of Lonavala and Khandala! The bushy dam transforms to a great place during monsoons!

Also there's Nasik nearby. You can have a good time in Panchavati and some vineyards around there.

Last edited by MX6 : 17th May 2010 at 17:16.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
I am looking for a "regular" tourist destination which "transforms" during the monsoon and is safe enough for wife and 5 year old (not too much trekking). If nothing comes up then Mahabaleshwar/ Matheraan will be the the destination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Rule out Matheran during initial monsoons. Because there are no vehicles allowed up there, you will have to brave the rains on foot. You may try the old haunts of Lonavala and Khandala! The bushy dam transforms to a great place during monsoons!

Also there's Nasik nearby. You can have a good time in Panchavati and some vineyards around there.
monsoon destination and how you guys forgot malshej ghat and amboli?

lonawala-khandala-pune-tamhini ghat loop can be fun.

bhandardara is also best during monsoon.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th May 2010 at 17:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks