Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

What was your ride? (from Budget car rental right?). How much time did it take for the drive from Rennes to Bayeux? 2 Hours? How about the licensing stuff? Do the cops accept only French or IDL or do they accept any license printed in English?
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:08   #17
BHPian

Excellent start. You have captured the stained glass snaps very well.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:55   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The first photo showing the tank reminds me of a place in Pune. I'll take a photo of this and upload it tomorrow.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What was your ride? (from Budget car rental right?). How much time did it take for the drive from Rennes to Bayeux? 2 Hours? How about the licensing stuff? Do the cops accept only French or IDL or do they accept any license printed in English?
It was a Honda (don’t remember the model) and yes, we got the car from Budjet. They sure are famous. Remmes to Bayeaux was about 2 hours. Regarding the Driving License, I guess the rule is to have international driving permit (you can get one form your local RTO after showing them Visa). We had one. But I do remember one of our friends renting a car on Indian Driving License. He never got caught by cops so I don’t know if it is allowed. The budget guys gave him the car against his Indian Driving License.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Excellent start. You have captured the stained glass snaps very well.
Thanks Saurabh. The interior of the church was fascinating. I loved it and used to visit the place quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The first photo showing the tank reminds me of a place in Pune. I'll take a photo of this and upload it tomorrow.
Being a J&K resident, I am so used to seeing Tanks on road sides (decorative). In J&K we have many Tanks that were captured with numerous (I mean few) wars with our neighbors, beautifully placed on crossings, circles, roadsides etc. I am eager to see a Tank from Pune (if it is a Tank)
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sanjay, thats a good start. Reminds me of my trip to Paris and Bordeaux - The capital of Aquataine region and known for its vineyards.

I'm quite surprised that you were not allowed pictures of the Monalisa as during my visit, the place in Louvre where photography was not allowed was the section that had ceiling paintings. I even have the video of the La Jaconde and the massive painting hanging opposite to it.

Also from the TGV inside picture, I'm unable to make out where you are sitting, since it looks like a couch. My experience with TGV has been awesome and one thing that has always amazed me is their punctuality. Not a minute late of before. If its 10.18, the train will enter station at 10.18. The thing I liked about Bordeaux and is there in most French cities is ban on motor vehicle in the downtown area. The concept of travel on public transport as much as you can in 1 / 2 hours in a single ticket is a novelty.

Also during our Holiday I had got quite familiarized with the Paris Metro system and loved the themed station especially Bastille and another one styled as a submarine (can't remember the name). During our stay we freaked out extensively on baguette and Fromage and found somehow found Monoprix cheaper than Carefour.

Anyways please keep the pictures coming
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hey Sanjay, thats a good start. Reminds me of my trip to Paris and Bordeaux - The capital of Aquataine region and known for its vineyards.

I'm quite surprised that you were not allowed pictures of the Monalisa as during my visit, the place in Louvre where photography was not allowed was the section that had ceiling paintings. I even have the video of the La Jaconde and the massive painting hanging opposite to it.

Also from the TGV inside picture, I'm unable to make out where you are sitting, since it looks like a couch. My experience with TGV has been awesome and one thing that has always amazed me is their punctuality. Not a minute late of before. If its 10.18, the train will enter station at 10.18. The thing I liked about Bordeaux and is there in most French cities is ban on motor vehicle in the downtown area. The concept of travel on public transport as much as you can in 1 / 2 hours in a single ticket is a novelty.

Also during our Holiday I had got quite familiarized with the Paris Metro system and loved the themed station especially Bastille and another one styled as a submarine (can't remember the name). During our stay we freaked out extensively on baguette and Fromage and found somehow found Monoprix cheaper than Carefour.

Anyways please keep the pictures coming
I think the Monalisa Picture Ban was because of heavy rush on the day I visited. Looking at picture from Max, the place seems empty. When I was there, it was like visiting some shrine in India. Long Ques everywhere .

Regarding the TGV pic, we got lucky that day. We were a group of people traveling from Paris to Rennes and the Lady at the window asked us if we were traveling first time. She must have given us special section. This was actually at the end of train, a small 12 seat cabin and looked executive class (she charged us normal rates). I have some normal TGV seat pics as well (below). French of course are amazing in terms of their work and professionalism. Let me explain a small incident. We were a group of 12 people who used to travel to Office from hotel by the bus at 8:40 in the morning. When we took the bus first time (all 12 of us) the driver was a little amazed (he didn’t expect such a rush at the stop). It created space issue because regular people on the route didn’t get enough space. The 2nd day it was same story but 3rd day was surprise. The same driver was driving a long (double with a connection in between 2) bus and accommodated us with a smile. The feedback system they have is amazing. I can never expect that happening in India. We simply don’t care. The driver here probably wouldn’t even understand the issue at hand.

I have seen the time bound ticket (of course they have zone boundaries) in Vancouver as well and it works fine. (I have also seen people selling them for ½ the price if there is enough time on them). The best thing that I like about their transport system is that tickets work across modes of transports (Train, bus etc). I wish we had DMRC running a bug fleet of busses in New Delhi and use the same ticket system (I don’t know if we are culturally up to it. It is a big debate).

Out of the cities I have traveled, Paris has the best connectivity. (I am sure there are better systems as well). The combination of Busses, RAR, SNCF and the regular metro (Tickets work across) is so amazing that you can actually reach every corner of Paris. All you have to do is, pick up the Transport Map (available almost everywhere free of cos) and chalk out the simple plan.

I personally have never been able to live upto standards of typical French cuisine. One has to develop taste for the verities of Fromage. However, they have some good chicken recipes and the French spices are refreshing. I remember having one of my best dinners in Disney Village. 7 course dinners need loads of time and patience and of course an interesting topic to discuss. Sometimes, you are lucky, sometimes you are not. I have had many of these interesting (and boring) 7 course dinners.
Attached Thumbnails
Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-tgv.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-tgvcabin.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-paris-1450.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-paris-1519-_1__0001.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd April 2010, 17:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Mon Ange with La Joconde. The security personnel behind didn't seem to mind. Many people took many photos too. La Joconde obliged, but she didn't smile much. Just like Mon Ange.
Attachment 334625

Don't you find a similarity in them?
Your angel is beautiful MX6.

Who knows if LaJoconde was real or DaVinci's imagination. All that text available is speculation.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:27   #23
BHPian

Post Continues

After the museum, it was time to Visit the Beaches and see where the action actually happened.

The Normandy landings were the landing operations of the Allied invasion of Normandy, also known as Operation Neptune and Operation Overlord, during World War II. The landings commenced on Tuesday, 6 June 1944 (D-Day), beginning at 6:30 AM British Double Summer Time (UTC+2). In planning, D-Day was the term used for the day of actual landing, which was dependent on final approval.

The assault was conducted in two phases: an air assault landing of 24,000 American, British, Canadian and Free French airborne troops shortly after midnight, and an amphibious landing of Allied infantry and armoured divisions on the coast of France commencing at 6:30 AM. There were also subsidiary 'attacks' mounted under the codenames Operation Glimmer and Operation Taxable to distract the German forces from the real landing areas.

The operation was the largest amphibious invasion of all time, with over 175,000 troops landing on 6 June 1944. 195,700 Allied naval and merchant navy personnel in over 5,000 ships were involved. The invasion required the transport of soldiers and materiel from the United Kingdom by troop-laden aircraft and ships, the assault landings, air support, naval interdiction of the English Channel and naval fire-support. The landings took place along a 50-mile (80 km) stretch of the Normandy coast divided into five sectors: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword. (Please visit Normandy landings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details)

I visited mostof these beaches and what I witnessed was breathtaking. The allied forces had actually carried old ships with them and sunk them near the beaches to make docs. If you read the history, you will know that this was sheer planning, coordination and sprit. (Have you read “Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett”)

Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-21.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-22.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-23.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-25.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-26.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-27.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-29.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-31.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-32.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-33.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-34.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-35.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-36.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-37.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-38.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-40.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-41.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-normandy-263.jpg  

Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-normandy-276.jpg  

Last edited by sanjaykaul : 22nd April 2010 at 18:31. Reason: Removed the smoking pics (Some of the friends were smoking)
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:07   #24
BHPian

HI Sanjay,
amazing pics and cleanliness french people have maintained in their country. We should also ensure not to litter whenever we go to any of our heritage /country side places.
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sanjay.

Good travelogue and pictures. business with pleasure.
good for you.

enjoy more, post more, share more.
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:17   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm surprised about the ban on the ceiling painting section. I captured that too!
Fantastic France -- Rennes, Paris, Normandy, Saint Malo, Mount Saint Michael-ceiling-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
I think the Monalisa Picture Ban was because of heavy rush on the day I visited. Looking at picture from Max, the place seems empty. When I was there, it was like visiting some shrine in India. Long Ques everywhere .
The name's MX6. Not Max! And we had terrible crowds too. I had to wait for 40 mins to get my go at La Joconde. I was let down as she looked more like a house maid. Mon Ange did a lot of research on La Joconde later in many libraries in UK. I wasn't too interested in those stories though.

Quote:
Your angel is beautiful MX6.

Who knows if LaJoconde was real or DaVinci's imagination. All that text available is speculation.
Thanks for the compliment. Merci Monsieur. I'll ask Mon Ange to work on our French trip travelogue with a special section on La Joconde based on her research work shortly. I have some amazing photos too. Like the one above showing the ceiling paintings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
HI Sanjay,
amazing pics and cleanliness french people have maintained in their country. We should also ensure not to litter whenever we go to any of our heritage /country side places.
+1 to that Anand. I have been doing that since 20 years now. Soon if everyone follows suit, we can turn things around.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I'm surprised about the ban on the ceiling painting section. I captured that too!
I think the camera flash is the reason for the ban in rush. It is a fact that camera flash effect the paintings considerably and that's why you would see most of the places having notices as well.

Quote:

The name's MX6. Not Max! .
Mea Culpa. Will take care in future. Galtee insan saie he hote hai.

Quote:

Mon Ange did a lot of research on La Joconde later in many libraries in UK. I wasn't too interested in those stories though.
You will be surprised that one of the theories relates the painting to Shiv-Shakti formation also. It is said that if you look at the painting closely, she seems to have feminine features on one half and mssculine on other (i never tried). All said and done, DaVinci was a Genius.

Last edited by sanjaykaul : 23rd April 2010 at 08:32. Reason: Wrong quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
HI Sanjay,
We have a lot to catch up on and lot to learn. I think it needs DNA alteration. Not easy, but possible. I personally haven't given up.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The budget guys gave him the car against his Indian Driving License.
So I guess you don't need a special driving license from France or IDL; as long as the driving license is printed in English it is suffice. Probably checking with the local DMV will help.

Yes, on the cleanliness, we're no way closer to them. But on a strange fact, I've heard people saying that during industrialization, all the western countries were as bad as our country and Italy still has garbage dumps on few streets. So we can imagine how far we're behind the western countries.

Quote:
We have a lot to catch up on and lot to learn. I think it needs DNA alteration. Not easy, but possible. I personally haven't given up.
More than True. I was saying the same on a different post that it might take about 2-3 decades provided the actions are taken right today.

Questions - what're those thatched stuff? Something for fisheries? Also about the 7 course meal, I'm awaiting to hear & see pics
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will be surprised that one of the theories relates the painting to Shiv-Shakti formation also. It is said that if you look at the painting closely, she seems to have feminine features on one half and mssculine on other (i never tried). All said and done, DaVinci was a Genius.
There another point of thought that La Jaconde may actually be a Self Potrait by Da Vinci because of the certain masculine features in the painting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks