Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 18:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@Ashishpallod
thats a great tip buddy.
Can you share some more info on the train and the ferry ride from KL to Langkawi. Also would it be advisable to be this adventurous with a small child 4 years and 1 infant 5 months old??
I too am the adventurous kind but would not like the start of the vaccation to turn into the worst day by being stranded with small children in a foreign country.
But still love the idea of the train and ferry ride.
Cheers
The trains are very comfortable and spacious compared to our trains and the rates are also quite good. You can book the tickets online directly from
www.ktmb.com.my
You can book a train from KL Sentral to either Kuala Alor Setar or Arau stations. From there you need to get a taxi to the nearest ferry ( Kuala Kedah in case of Alor Setar and Kuala Perlis incase of Arau ) and then board the speed boat directly to Kuah in Langkawi. We didn't face any problems by this method and there were a lot of people who took this route. The ferry services are quite good and there are regular ferries to Langkawi ( and they are quite fast too ). Once you land in Kuah, you can hire a two wheeler or a car and you can use your own driving license here without any problems. This is very cheap as fuel is very cheap in Malaysia. There are free route maps available for the tourists as soon as you land in Langkawi, so don't pay for one. Also, you can book your hotel rooms in advance online to get some good deals.
Old 28th May 2010, 22:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Wow, seems like a perfect place to meet lime minded people. Going to surprise wife very soon

I am to planning the trip to Langkawi, penag (For scuba driving), Singapore and a night or two on star cruise. Anyone looking for booking cruises can certainly take benift for 60 days super saver offers going on currently.

@Harjeev - It would be great if you can share your itinerary,

Any references from where in we can hire cars ??
Old 31st May 2010, 09:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Any references from where in we can hire cars ??
You can hire them at Langkawi airport once you land there.. Drive out and drop back when you are flying back..
Old 1st June 2010, 15:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ashish
I would most proably travel during the end of September 4th or the 2nd week of October.
The reason is the airasia fares are cheapest during this period.
When do you plan to take your vacation??
Old 1st June 2010, 15:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
You can hire them at Langkawi airport once you land there.. Drive out and drop back when you are flying back..
I am looking something like where-in I can drive out from Langkawi and return the same at somewhere in KL as I would love to drive to KL as roads seems to be pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Ashish
I would most proably travel during the end of September 4th or the 2nd week of October.
The reason is the airasia fares are cheapest during this period.
When do you plan to take your vacation??
I am too planning the same in Sept-Oct, kindly pm me your no. so as we can speak up and help saving each other
Old 1st June 2010, 18:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I am looking something like where-in I can drive out from Langkawi and return the same at somewhere in KL as I would love to drive to KL as roads seems to be pretty decent.
I am not sure this option is possible since this is an island and the only way out for vehicles is using fery. Vehicles from Langakawi can be taken to the mainland only for shorter period as per law since Langakawi enjoyes a duty free status there is good difference in the cost of vehicles here. I suggest checking with few tour operators in KL and Lanagakawi on this
Old 1st June 2010, 19:13   #52
BHPian

A nice report Bobby.

I went to Langkawi in 2008 and went to all the places in the photos too. It is indeed paradise on earth. But what I enjoyed most was taking a car on rent and driving there. I felt like James Bond driving on a beautiful island(although it was a local Proton car). For those staying in Berjaya it is available very close by.

I went all over the island aided only by a paper map and driving instructions printed from Google.

I would definitely try to go there again, but my wife would want to go to another place.
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
A nice report Bobby.

I went to Langkawi in 2008 and went to all the places in the photos too. It is indeed paradise on earth. But what I enjoyed most was taking a car on rent and driving there. I felt like James Bond driving on a beautiful island(although it was a local Proton car). For those staying in Berjaya it is available very close by.

I went all over the island aided only by a paper map and driving instructions printed from Google.

I would definitely try to go there again, but my wife would want to go to another place.
Thanks Brix. "007 on and Island", loved that part.

I missed driving there, planning to make another visit soon and fill the missing part, fortunately my wife and son are for it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks