Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 23:06   #16
BHPian

1st Safari: 4 p.m. 7th May
We are the first to load onto the jeep as we want to be the first ones in and we are off at 4:05 p.m. We enter the gates and we see the usual, a lot of spotted deers (chital) and barking deers. Then we cover a watering hole and spot a Grey Headed Fishing Eagle there followed by a Flame Back Wood-Pecker and a Serpent Eagle.

A Chital Doe
Wildlife beckons-dsc07149.jpg
A beautiful Chital Stag
Wildlife beckons-dsc07326.jpg
Grey headed fishing Eagle
Wildlife beckons-greyheadedfishingeagle.jpg
Flame Back Wood-Pecker
Wildlife beckons-flamebackwoodpecker.jpg
Serpent Eagle
Wildlife beckons-serpenteagle.jpg

Once done clicking we begin moving and I say it aloud that only the Sambar (the biggest deer in the South Indian forest) is left for us to see and just then a Sambar doe and her calf walk onto the road in front of us. I am overjoyed!

Wildlife beckons-sambardoe.jpg
Wildlife beckons-sambarfawn.jpg

Then, suddenly we get a message from one of the other jeeps over the walky talkie that elephants have been spotted near a watering hole. So we rush there. It’s a family with a calf. They are still in the undergrowth and have not yet descended to the water. So we wait for them to come down. The next few pics show how cautious they are and how well the calf is protected at all times. The matriarch was actually keeping an eye on us constantly. Apologies for putting up so many pics of these gentle giants at the watering hole but couldn’t help it.

Only time when the calf was in full view:
Wildlife beckons-dsc07360.jpg

And they come to the water finally and entertain us for about 15-20 mins
Wildlife beckons-elephantherd1.jpg
Wildlife beckons-elephantherd2.jpg
Wildlife beckons-dsc07411.jpg
Wildlife beckons-elephantherd3.jpg

So, we move on from here once the elephants move out and we come across some barking deers and I click away.

Our search for Gaurs (Indian Bisons) have not yet bore fruit. Suddenly we cross a downward slope where I see some Gaurs in the thick undergrowth and I ask Thapa our driver to stop. Although far away I get some shots.

Wildlife beckons-dsc07505.jpg
Another Chital Fawn
Wildlife beckons-dsc07515.jpg

Taken on the way out of the safari with absolutely bad light
Wildlife beckons-dsc07527.jpg

My day is made!! Tomorrow we hunt for the big cats

More photos coming.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 13th May 2010 at 23:11.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:44   #17
BHPian

Photos from the rest of the Safari's:

The most event ful were the 3rd and 4th Safari's though. While one the way back from the 3rd safari (evening about 6 p.m.) we came across a Leopard and watched him for about 10 mins. Sadly due to poor lighting conditions, could take any snaps.

And on the 4th safari which was on the morning of the day we were leaving, we came across a Bear and her 2 cubs (again at about 6:15 a.m.). However could take a ny anps ecept little tufts of black in the bushes as they were faster in dissapearing into the undergrowth then I was with my camera and the driver with his braking

A Barking Deer
Wildlife beckons-dsc07544.jpg

Gaur Closeup
Wildlife beckons-dsc07563.jpg

Langur
Wildlife beckons-dsc07589.jpg

Another Barking Deer
Wildlife beckons-dsc07603.jpg

Some more Chitals
Wildlife beckons-dsc07639.jpg
Wildlife beckons-dsc07641.jpg

A Beautiful Chital Stag posing
Wildlife beckons-dsc07643.jpg

a Dragon fly at the pond near the Resort
Wildlife beckons-dsc07696.jpg

A Magpie Robin
Wildlife beckons-dsc07746.jpg

An elephant which entertained us for a long time
Wildlife beckons-dsc07804.jpg
Old 14th May 2010, 16:51   #18
BHPian

Some more snaps

Wildlife beckons-dsc07856.jpg
Wildlife beckons-dsc07894.jpg
Wildlife beckons-dsc07958.jpg

Giant Malabar Squirrel
Wildlife beckons-dsc08110.jpg

Serpent Eagle
Wildlife beckons-dsc08155.jpg

Flying Lizard
Wildlife beckons-dsc08182.jpg

Wasp
Wildlife beckons-dsc08211.jpg

Will upload the picture of a Changeable Hawk Eagle soon.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful snaps there. And on top it you said some of them were taken from within the car; Even better !

How early did you book for JLR?
Old 14th May 2010, 18:50   #20
BHPian

Awesome snaps you got there! and looks like your prayers before entering the hills were answered with quite some animal sighting! Elephant pack was a treat to watch..
Old 14th May 2010, 23:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey its turning out to be an awesome log. The pics are beautiful. Keep it coming bro !!
Old 15th May 2010, 09:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Beautiful snaps there. And on top it you said some of them were taken from within the car; Even better !

How early did you book for JLR?
I booked it 2 weeks in advance. But the recommended period is atleast 3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
Awesome snaps you got there! and looks like your prayers before entering the hills were answered with quite some animal sighting! Elephant pack was a treat to watch..
Yup our prayers definitely were. The Elephants indeed were a treat to watch. I have almost a full movie in still life of them at the watering hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hey its turning out to be an awesome log. The pics are beautiful. Keep it coming bro !!
Thanks
Old 15th May 2010, 10:07   #23
BHPian

Bisons have a finicky attitude. But for you they appear to be modeling. Was it due to prayers or your new lens
Old 15th May 2010, 11:11   #24
BHPian

great pics rishi ... esp of the elephants and the invertebrates keep it up. Any plans to come over to the central india forests ? the animals are having a bal here with the mating season around the corner and its a treat to watch them go about their chores.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Awesome pictures rishi, loved the elephant's picture. Wow I dint know we had flying lizards in Karnataka. Waiting for some cats now.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
great pics rishi ... esp of the elephants and the invertebrates keep it up. Any plans to come over to the central india forests ? the animals are having a bal here with the mating season around the corner and its a treat to watch them go about their chores.
Hi Abheek.. I am still planning. Turning out to be over budget so dont know if I will be able to make it. How much do you think stay and going to Pench, stay and coming back to Nagpur will cost? With the basic accomodation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Awesome pictures rishi, loved the elephant's picture. Wow I dint know we had flying lizards in Karnataka. Waiting for some cats now.
Yup the elephants were a treat to watch and we spent a good amount of time with them
Old 17th May 2010, 13:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

@sarmarishi, nice start. Pictures are really cool, waiting for the next post.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:06   #28
BHPian

Sorry for not posting anything in a while. Thanks for your responses guys. Glad you like the photos. In fact, I dont have anything else to share on this one as I uploaded all the pics that I thought were worthy of showing all of you. I also did not want to take you in detail into each safari as it would be similar experiences and would bore you.

Another interesting thing that happened on the return of the 1st safari was that we came across a rather agressive tusker very close to the camp site on the road. He was not very pleased seeing us there. The driver says they come close to camp since the camp has 2 female elephants there. The other thing was a wild boar who was constantly trying to charge the huge guys. It was quite a funny scene really with the wild boar running toward the bull and turning sideways at the last moment while the Bull himself was trying to charge us!

As mentioned earlier, I couldnot take pics of the Leopard and Sloth Bear + Cubs so you wont get to see them this time.

Here is however the promised photo of the Changeable Hawk Eagle. Do notice the extra feathers on top of its head. Looks majestic like a crown. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife beckons-changeablehawkeagle.jpg  

Last edited by sarmarishi : 17th May 2010 at 15:15.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:27   #29
BHPian

Absolutely delighted to watch all the wildlife Keep it coming.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sarmarishi,
That was a good mixed platter of wildlife. Nice writeup and photographs!
Just wish the head of the majestic Gaur in the closeup would be up or looking into the camera. Please mention the equip. if I may have missed it out in your thread.
Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks