Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 15:11   #16
BHPian

some stretches appeared newly laid/relaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
the coastal route is scenic.

is the road between bhandarpule and ganapatipule repaired?
I didn't see any repair work going on...but i recall that some stretches appeared newly laid/relaid. Those must be the stretches you're referring to.
Old 25th May 2010, 20:00   #17
BHPian

Ganapatipule to Guhaghar

If you’re not on a pilgrimage, the journey to Ganapatipule is better than the destination itself. The beach abutting the temple is lovely but the place is very very crowded, this being a popular place of pilgrimage. After a quick darshan, we beat a hasty retreat and moved on towards Guhaghar.
This was where the best part started. The drive of about 60 Km from Ganapatipule to Guhaghar (distances only approximate and based on memory– I didn’t keep a log) was the most pleasant experience of the entire trip . Driving on the narrow, winding but picturesque ghat roads and squeezing through the narrow village roads on the way is an experience no traveler worth his salt should miss. The road conditions are not up to the mark but the scenic view and experience more than make up for it. One problem you will face is the lack of proper signboards. The milestones exist, but the painting on them has faded or eroded. They look like they haven’t been painted since 1947. We had to get close and peer at the faded milestones; but even that didn’t help at times. Moreover, all of them are in Marathi. So if you cannot read Devnagari script, you’re clueless. I can read Marathi but that’s no use if the milestone is faded,eroded or blank ! But the traffic on these roads is steady and we could get through by enquiring with the local jeeps (or Tata Magic) drivers. I’ve posted a photo of one such milestone below. That was a funny experience I won’t forget for a while. Route: From Ganapatipule drive towards Nivli, before Nivli you’ll come across a check naka, immediately after the check naka take the left turn towards Bhatgaon. After crossing the Bhatgaon bridge, the road turns right. IGNORE the first left turn even though it says ‘towards Guhaghar’- this road is in bad condition (local info). Keep going straight and the road turns sharply to the left. Follow this road all the way to Guhaghar via Modka Agar.
Attached Thumbnails
Konkan in May-scene.1.jpg  

Konkan in May-scene.2.jpg  

Konkan in May-milestone.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 20:54   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Did you take the ferry from guhaghar to dhabol? If you did, what are the ferry timings and cost? Was there a big queue up of 4 wheelers for the ferry?
Old 25th May 2010, 21:02   #19
BHPian

Guhaghar

Guhaghar is a small town caught in a time warp. As it was @ 6 in the evening, we headed straight for ‘Hotel Kismat Sea View’ which was recommended to us. The hotel is strictly below average. The toilet was filthy and the rooms were dusty and unkempt. We didn’t have the stamina to look around in the fading light for another hotel more so as a power cut was on, so we settled for an A/C room @ 750. The only plus for the hotel is that it has a private entrance to the beach. Clearly, this hotel has seen better days.We walked down to Hotel Annapurna nearby for an early dinner. This seems to be relatively new and the rooms appear to be clean. Maybe this would be better than Kismat. The food at Annapurna was good. Phone number of Hotel Annapurna is 9423048165 (Mr.Shamkant Khatu). He sounded quite professional. Worth a try?
Early next morning, we hit the beach. The private entrance on to the beach is pretty. Guhaghar has a lovely beach with sparse crowds. Enjoyed the early morning solitude on the clean and quiet beach. Let the pictures speak again.
Attached Thumbnails
Konkan in May-guha.beach.1.jpg  

Konkan in May-guha.beach.2.jpg  

Konkan in May-guha.beach.3.jpg  

Konkan in May-guha.beach.4.jpg  

Konkan in May-guha.beach.5.jpg  

Konkan in May-guha.beach.6.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 21:05   #20
BHPian

Guhaghar to Dabhol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Did you take the ferry from guhaghar to dhabol? If you did, what are the ferry timings and cost? Was there a big queue up of 4 wheelers for the ferry?
The ferry is from Hedvi to Dabhol? I'm coming to that.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:18   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good capture there. Your daughter lost in thought standing on the beach. I don't know what's it with sea and folks of the fairer gender. They get "lost" whenever they are in a beach.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:15   #22
BHPian

Guhaghar to Velneshwar

After Darshan at the Vyaadeshwar Temple at Guhaghar, we had yummy hot Batata Wada for breakfast at a small non-descript joint near the temple – in Rome do as Romans do. Then we packed up and set off for Velneshwar. For getting to Velneshwar Temple, get to ‘Modka Agar’. At Modka Agar, turn right to Velneshwar. Distance between Guhaghar and Velneshwar is about 19 Km. The drive from Guhaghar to Velneshwar is also quite scenic, with narrow village streets, lush green forest, plantations with Mango trees sagging under the weight of a bumper Alphonso crop. Velneshwar beach is another beauty. But I was a little surprised to see a lot of modern guest houses on the approach to Velneshwar. The Dabhol effect?
Attached Thumbnails
Konkan in May-vel.1.jpg  

Konkan in May-vel.2.jpg  

Konkan in May-vel.3.jpg  

Konkan in May-vel.4.jpg  

Konkan in May-vel.5.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 23:08   #23
BHPian

Velneshwar, Chiplun, Parshuram, Koyna, Patan, Umbraj Satara and Pune

From Velneshwar, we were planning to go to Hedvi ( which also has a nice beach and temple and from where I’m told a ferry takes you to Dabhol), but my kid was tiring of the temple and beach routine. So we abandoned the plan and set off for Chiplun via Modka Agar and Srungartali. After a brief forgettable lunch break at Chiplun ( at Kane Hotel – can somebody suggest a good veggie restaurant in Chiplun?), we set off for Parshuram. Parshuram village on top of the Parshuram ghat is my friend Sachin Joshi’s village and his parents had come over from Pune. We were invited. After seeing the Parshuram temple and a chat with Sachin’s parents – with lots of Alphonso followed by tea, we were ready to leave for Pune.
The route suggested by Mr. Joshi (senior) was : Parshuram – head towards Chiplun – turn left at Bahadur Sheikh Phata towards Koyna Nagar – Patan – turn left at Umbraj Phata – Umbraj – NH-4- Satara – Pune. We heeded the advise and took the route. The climb up the Koyna ghat was heavenly with beautiful roads and little traffic but on the way down, around Patan, we encountered long stretches of under construction roads right upto Umbraj. But once on NH-4, we rushed to Pune. Aaah ! The comfort of Sasuraal.

Must say my TATA Indica Vista QJD Aura ABS was equally comfortable and more importantly – trouble free during the entire trip. Zero gliches. Was the Konkan hot and humid ? Of course! But the car A/C was so effective that it didn't matter. We also noticed that the towns were much hotter than the countryside. We thoroughly enjoyed our short trip into the Konkan and enjoyed the Vista QJD comfort too. I’m beginning to like my Vista QJD already….but as you’ll find in the photo below, that doggie at Ratnagiri seemed to like my car too.
Attached Thumbnails
Konkan in May-ghat.8.jpg  

Konkan in May-road.1.jpg  

Konkan in May-car.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 09:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

1] Annapurna hotel in guhaghar is old one and i had lunch at that place in dec2006.
it is only descent hotel in guhaghar.

2] After rai bhatgaon bridge, you can go to hedvi-velneshwar directly. may be the bad route you avoided goes to hedvi.

3] Abhishek hotel in chiplun is the best place to have veg and non veg konkani food.

4]On patan-umbraj route, actually umbraj to malharpet [ touching point to karad patan road] section is very good road.

5] Had you stopped at koyna dam?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] Annapurna hotel in guhaghar is old one and i had lunch at that place in dec2006.
it is only descent hotel in guhaghar.

2] After rai bhatgaon bridge, you can go to hedvi-velneshwar directly. may be the bad route you avoided goes to hedvi.

3] Abhishek hotel in chiplun is the best place to have veg and non veg konkani food.

4]On patan-umbraj route, actually umbraj to malharpet [ touching point to karad patan road] section is very good road.

5] Had you stopped at koyna dam?
Thank you for the information Ashish.
What's your view on Annapurna's accomodation/rooms?
I'd heard about Abhishek from a local but my wife avoids non-veg joints, so missed that. Next time we'll try Abhishek at Chiplun.
We didn't stop at Koyna Dam. We'll do that some other time...how'll it be in the monsoon? Any hotel / guest house at Koyna?
Thanks again. Appreciate the tips.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks